Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stick burnin’

I just got a ceramic grill. Not an egg but a 22" Louisiana grill. Cant get it above 400 degrees for a ribeye. I think I need to pour the coals to it for a higher temp. Lower temps it's money.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sounds like an airflow problem. I've heard tell of some egg and egg like owners using a pusher fan to get the airflow going and drive temps to 600+.

I agree. I clean out the ash. I open up all the vents.

Last cooking I did I poured more coals in it, and I got it to 450. I can cook a ribeye at 450, but I cant at 350. Much more coals and it's pushing Orion consumption.

I'm a weber man and I can cook anything on one. Need more time on this one to determine if I just need to stick with Weber or not.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

open up the entire thing, the bottom vent, I'll leave the top open at the beginning after my coals get right.. then the entire top lid pushed to the side. Smoking, I'm leaving a credit card width open, then adjust the the top vents.. Half the time, I'm getting it rolling then I'll shut down the top towards then end on chicken and things of that nature, even burgers during cheese up time, and letting the smoke push the rest. There ain't no setting things via app thingys on phones, or buttons to push, it's art, not soulless sorcery.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 05-15-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

Last cooking I did I poured more coals in it, and I got it to 450. I can cook a ribeye at 450, but I cant at 350. Much more coals and it's pushing Orion consumption.

I'm a weber man and I can cook anything on one. Need more time on this one to determine if I just need to stick with Weber or not.
    Get it lit and take a leaf blower to it.

I've done that and got it hot like that, but it's artificial.

Another suggestion would be to look at a way of lowering the grates, just for steak purposes.. maybe a smaller set or on hangers or blocks. Don't tear up the main ones. I've got hangers on my coal burner at the lake.. I can lower it to them if I want, and get a heck of a sear

aint no way he cant get charcoal to 500 or more unless its just not getting air somehow. are you leaving the top open?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

All the openings are wide open. Bottom...top...cleaned out the ash. I wonder if I need to bring the fire grate up to the grill surface.

Hey Ralph. Your grass looks phenomenal....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Thanks Feets, the area behind is just clearing up with some poa.. I'm waging war on that devil west coast hippie grass. These warmer Temps are help helping it and the zoysia

BB you shouldn't have to do anything but fill it with lump, light it, and open the vents. Don't be scared to pour the lump to it. Unlike charcoal you can reuse it and to achieve the temps you want it's going to need fuel.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Couple few I still have on the reel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

No reason you shouldn't be getting 6-700 deg. Is the bottom vent of your firebox lined up straight with your outside vent/damper? You may need to twist the fire box some to line those openings up. If not you are hindering the air flow. You should be able to look in through the bottom vent and scrape ashes out. My favorite attachment, although not needed, is a kick ash basket. Pull basket out, shake ashes from old lump, put basket back in, couple handfuls of fresh lump on top and rock on.

2nd the kick ash basket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Use the nugget size pieces of lump and light them all up.

What kind of lump charcoal you use also has an affect on the temps. Cowboy lump charcoal is garbage. FOGO or Jealous Devil will have you at 600+
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

You aren't wrong. However, even with cheap lump i'm still able to get over 400 deg. Which was BB's issue.