Thread: UTV disc

Default UTV disc

Looking for something to put small plots in with. Has anyone used the discs that utilize the hitch systems that plug into the 2” receiver and are they any better/worse than the pull behinds that sound like you inevitably have to add weight to get them to cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I’ve got a friend that has a couple implements made by kunz engineering. He likes them.

https://kunzeng.com/product-category/chisel-plow/
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have one that is for sale. I pulled it behind my Ranger and it worked well. Like any other small disc it will take several times over to get it cut in good. I will try to post pics later.

Those little atv discs are ok but a lot of work. Just depends on how much you have to do... I do a combination of no till, and use a Plotmaster which is heavy as hell and will flat out disc a piece of dirt. I have the 4' model and I can tow it with my truck or my atv to get stuff planted/disced/covered/cultipacked... It's not a big tractor with all the goodies, but it will get it done and is easy to transport.
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 05-14-2023 at 03:05 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Default UTV disc

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Those little atv discs are ok but a lot of work. Just depends on how much you have to do... I do a combination of no till, and use a Plotmaster which is heavy as hell and will flat out disc a piece of dirt. I have the 4' model and I can tow it with my truck or my atv to get stuff planted/disced/covered/cultipacked... It's not a big tractor with all the goodies, but it will get it done and is easy to transport.
    I really like those things, just trying to avoid the price tag if possible.

ETA - I tried some no-till last year and it was an epic failure. Which is why I’m wanting to try a small disc.

Last edited by quackaddict; 05-14-2023 at 03:36 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I know where a tractor and disc are but they dont have a trailer
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I really like those things, just trying to avoid the price tag if possible.

ETA - I tried some no-till last year and it was an epic failure. Which is why I’m wanting to try a small disc.

Been reading about no till stuff and considering it for a,dove field with brown top. Anybody got and clue how to do this or the do and donts. The stuff I read said do before a down pour to,help get soil contact
    Last edited by centurian; 05-14-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I know where a tractor and disc are but they dont have a trailer
    Well, I might have a trailer. And a case of Natty’s to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Been reading about no till stuff and considering it for a,dove field with brown top. Anybody got and clue how to do this or the do and donts. The stuff I read said do before a down pour to,help get soil contact
    I just did my first no til with buckwheat it worked fairly well. I wanted to try out the buckwheat in the spring before I tried a fall plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I just did my first no til with buckwheat it worked fairly well. I wanted to try out the buckwheat in the spring before I tried a fall plot.
    You planning on using the buckwheat as an early season plot to hunt over and then no-till a winter plot in it?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    You planning on using the buckwheat as an early season plot to hunt over and then no-till a winter plot in it?

I use the buckwheat to help build the soil and for weed suppression the deer don't really eat it. I'll spray it with glyphosate and sow with oats and brassica in the fall.