Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford engines getting smaller..thoughts KRT?

Default Ford engines getting smaller..thoughts KRT?

So, I've had nothing but Ford Explorers for most of my adult life. I drive them for about 10 years putting between 180k and 250k on them before getting another. I've had no major problems in the 35 or so years. The one I liked best had the 4.6L V8. My current one is the normally aspirated 3.5L. I don't hate it but I don't love it either but it's time to get another.

Now, the only real option is a 2.3L I4 with ecoboost, that I think is some sort of turbo charger, that somehow isn't any more "eco" than the old Explorers with bigger engines.

My question is can I expect to get the same 180k-200k out of a tiny engine that's made to act big only from a turbo charger? If my question is flaw, please help me understand.

If it wasn't for having to tow a bigger boat, I would probably be just fine with one of the smaller Broncos.

As a side note, my wife loved her Explorer until she blew it up (she wondered why she was having to use the back windshield wiper on a clear, dry day but kept driving)...so I replaced it with a Toyota. If I get something besides a Ford, I guess it'll be a Toyota. Any thoughts on that.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

NO ECOBOOST They really suck and you will not get 225,000 mile out of it

I think they are all a crapshoot at this point. Every brand and model has its lemons and vehicles that won’t die no matter what you do.

You might be able to hedge your bet by weighing out which ones die more frequently. But you still aren’t getting guarantees. I had an eco boost that was fine when I traded at 140k miles. My dads was junk by 80k. There are some still rolling around with 200k on the dash. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I went through the same thought process and ended up buying the last year for Tundra V8s - will eventually get a civic or something for driving around town and hope this truck gets 300k like the two fords before it did.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I went through the same thought process and ended up buying the last year for Tundra V8s - will eventually get a civic or something for driving around town and hope this truck gets 300k like the two fords before it did.
    Dad's still driving a 2007 Tundra with the V8 - it's only got about 180k but it's been literally perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    MPG and the back seat setup are the only things keeping me from wanting another tundra. 14mpg average just ain’t real practical.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    MPG and the back seat setup are the only things keeping me from wanting another tundra. 14mpg average just ain’t real practical.
    But it goes and goes....
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    14mpg average just ain’t real practical.
    Yep, that's another thing that bothers me...the V8 4.6L got basically 20 mpg on the road and my V6 3.5L with what looks like a more aerodynamic shaped car gets basically 20-22mpg on the highway. It actually gets 20 mpg when going 70 mph and only gets advertised highway fuel economy when going 55-60 mph. It seems like they should have just stayed with the bigger engines.

had a 2016 3.5 ecoboost f150.... lets say it was awesome til 80k mi, and I limped it to 118k mi when I finally traded that sucker in. If you do the turbo motor, you are either ecoing or you're boosting and when you're boosting, you aint getting better than 3 mpg. You tow even a scooter in the back of the bed, its boosting. I wasn't the least bit amused with my ecoboost. I had the 4.6L v8 prior to that truck, traded it for the eco at 210k mi and it was still going strong. Never should of got rid of that truck, I just figured at 210k mi, it was time to start thinking of something newer.

Flashman252,
    I would have bought two of the 4.6L in 2003 if I knew what I know now...

Thanks guys - Don't tell the Toyota dealers that I'm not still in the market for a Ford...haha

Not sure why Toyota went with the turbo. If I was in the market I’d look for a lightly used tundra with the 5.7

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Not sure why Toyota went with the turbo. If I was in the market I’d look for a lightly used tundra with the 5.7
    The 4Runner still has a NA engine option. The Highlander is out so it's that or a Tacoma...I like the Tundra trucks but they're way bigger than what I need for bird watching...haha. I should get a Tundra and a Prius...

Damn Gubment and radical tree huggers fault. They keep putting all these restrictions and such for emissions, fuel milage etc.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

New trucks can go either way. I had a 2019 5.0 f150 that burned oil and knocked about to go at 100k. I have a 2.7 ecoboost in the new work truck and a 3.5 ecoboost in personal truck and love the power of both. One of my loggers has a 2 month old denali and just blew the motor with less than 10k.
    For the ducks

I have had 8 6cyl ecoboosts all died between 85000 and 125000. Repair were only about 3500 to 4500 but probably double that now. Shame to have to put that kind of cash in a high mileage vehicle. I stay with the v8's now without much problem. Last ecoboost i have had i am getting ready to sell with about 55,000 on it.

I’d much rather have the 2.3 eco in an explorer than the previous 3.5 Duartec.

They’re also rwd now which is an improvement.
    It’s basically the new ranger powertrain.

Define towing a bigger boat.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Define towing a bigger boat.
    Bigger than my duck boat...right now a 19' Key West DC - I'm guessing about 3500lbs or so with motor, gas, batteries, etc.

Just go diesel and never look back. When I found a dealership that gave me 19k trade in for my POS eco, I packed a suitcase of tools and spare parts and got that truck there. Traded it for a ram 2500 cummins and never looked back. As soon as the warranty is out (it'll be awhile) its getting deleted (if they come out with a delete for a 2022 model). Only issue I have had with the truck so far is a sensor went out at 7k mi related to the def exhaust nonsense. Would of taken me 15 min to change it out, but the sensor was $1100. The dealership close to my house fixed it under warranty and a delete will gut that whole system out one day. I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to a gas motor after having this diesel for the last year. And surprisingly, it does WAY BETTER on fuel mileage compared to my ecoboost truck.

And blowing black smoke all over squatted trucks is fun
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands