Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had a visitor while working

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Once you pick them up for a Facebook picture, you should of raised it up. Mama don’t nurse or tend to it after the scent of what’s going to hunt it and kill it in the fall. They are left to fend for themselves.
    Timsmith, I hate to disagree with you, but I've personally seen just the opposite happen, including a video the other day of a guy locally who rescues wildlife. He was called for a fawn trapped in a fenced yard, put it outside the fence, and mom came right over and started to lick her before they took off together. Different does may act differently, or it may depend on the smells coming from the people who handle them, just like some women who wear stinky 'perfume' in Walmart and my wife and I get out of their zone asap...?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    CUduckreeper, when you say "curled back", are you referring to the tips of the ears vs the top half, etc?
    Tips curled back is what I was told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Tips curled back is what I was told.
    Thanks for that but if info.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I was riding my ATV with two dogs running with me a few years ago and they ran up on a doe with a fawn. The doe took off but my shorthair kept chasing the fawn around a little pond. I got one dog caught up and started screaming at the other one to break off the chase and come. Much to my surprise, the fawn ran up and stood by me which allowed me to catch the dog's collar. Once the dog was restrained, the fawn casually hopped over in the direction of where mom had gone. It's hard to believe that the fawn really understood what it was doing but it couldn't have picked a better option.

I stopped mowing last spring after I jumped a few fawns out of the tall grass. It doesn't take much of an excuse to make me put off mowing.

PB:

I hit a rabbit nest last Sunday afternoon with the tractor. Had two survivors. Guess who's been nursing baby bunnies all week?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton