Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a visitor while working

Default Had a visitor while working

Had just got done cutting a yard out at the lake and was spraying some beds with round up and kept hearing a squeak noice about every other time i pumped the sprayer. Heard it 5-6 times and turned around to find this little one running up to me nudging my leg. There was a surveyor at the wooded lot across the street so i guess he bumped it out. Can’t be more than a few days old. It followed me around and ended up going and laying up under my work truck. Home owner moved it to some brush for me so we could leave. It was a cute little booger.
    C433EA1D-A0E2-48FA-B2F2-1C98BB46C808.jpg
    52828A3C-4F00-4D57-952F-C45394C1017B.jpg

This one was pretty intent on getting run over by the bush hog today. I picked it up and moved it to the woods next to where I was mowing. Saw mama tending to it a little bit later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

They sure are mighty tender at that age. I ain't never ate one that small...

yet.

Buck or doe? Asking for a friend
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Mine was a doe. That’s cool Quackhead

Twins at end of driveway this morning.

Last week or so…twins actually. One played dead while the tractor was running 6 ft away…..sibling ran off like me after fireball shots….brand new legs style.

83C569F5-E124-4BA3-A61F-D915BEF1FABD.jpg83C569F5-E124-4BA3-A61F-D915BEF1FABD.jpg

I hate to admit it, but if mama wasn’t close enough by for me to find quickly, I’d probably keep it and raise it. I know that’s awful, but my kids would love it. Don’t you know that little booger would just love to go hang out under your stand with you…enjoying nature and such!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Prey life

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I hate to admit it, but if mama wasn’t close enough by for me to find quickly, I’d probably keep it and raise it. I know that’s awful, but my kids would love it. Don’t you know that little booger would just love to go hang out under your stand with you…enjoying nature and such!
    I had one named JuneBug, fun little critters to raise
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Best way to guarantee it's death.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

So the home owner called me about 9:30 last night they found a dead doe on the side of the road one street over. A herd of deer came through her yard yesterday evening and payed the fawn no attention so she called a rescue and they came and took it. I guess she talked to a neighbor and they had seen it on Monday and Tuesday alone as well. My wife and daughters were mad i didn’t bring it home but i got enough mouths to feed as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    So the home owner called me about 9:30 last night they found a dead doe on the side of the road one street over. A herd of deer came through her yard yesterday evening and payed the fawn no attention so she called a rescue and they came and took it. I guess she talked to a neighbor and they had seen it on Monday and Tuesday alone as well. My wife and daughters were mad i didn’t bring it home but i got enough mouths to feed as it is.
    Good job. I've been keeping my eyes open as my doe herd has been mostly missing in action this past week and figured the little ones would start popping up soon.

Which rescue did you call? Just curious as I'm presently working with one in the area to help her get some sponsorships to assist with expenses.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 05-11-2023 at 08:01 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Cool.

Glad you posted, going to bushhog tomorrow for y egyptian wheat around clover plots, will keep eye for them

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post

This one was pretty intent on getting run over by the bush hog today. I picked it up and moved it to the woods next to where I was mowing. Saw mama tending to it a little bit later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you saw the mama with it later, those ears would have had me worried thinking it was dehydrated. I found two last year on back to back days. Both I heard crying out in the woods, left them alone and checked back a couple hours later and they had died. Man that was a shitty feeling. I know a girl that works for DNR and helps rescue them, she told me about looking at the ears. Apparently if they are curled back it is a sign of dehydration. Seeing them is cool but hearing them cry out and finding them dead sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Glad you saw the mama with it later, those ears would have had me worried thinking it was dehydrated. I found two last year on back to back days. Both I heard crying out in the woods, left them alone and checked back a couple hours later and they had died. Man that was a shitty feeling. I know a girl that works for DNR and helps rescue them, she told me about looking at the ears. Apparently if they are curled back it is a sign of dehydration. Seeing them is cool but hearing them cry out and finding them dead sucks.
    CUduckreeper, when you say "curled back", are you referring to the tips of the ears vs the top half, etc?
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Good job. I've been keeping my eyes open as my doe herd has been mostly missing in action this past week and figured the little ones would start popping up soon.

Which rescue did you call? Just curious as I'm presently working with one in the area to help her get some sponsorships to assist with expenses.
    Two Hearts wildlife rehab and rescue is who she called.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 05-11-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Two Hearts wildlife rehab and rescue is who she called.
    Thanks for that info. I've not heard of them but will add them to my contact list. The woman I'm trying to assist is down below Belton.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Best way to guarantee it's death.
    It was a joke! I mean I would love one as a pet, but I know better. You have to admit...it would be a helluva decoy in the rut if it identified as a doe.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Once you pick them up for a Facebook picture, you should of raised it up. Mama don’t nurse or tend to it after the scent of what’s going to hunt it and kill it in the fall. They are left to fend for themselves.