Thread: 22-23 toyota tundra

Default 22-23 toyota tundra

I'm in the market for a new or lightly used full size 4door 4x4 truck.

Anyone own one of the newer body style 22 or 23 Tundras? Pros, Cons? Likes, Dislikes?

It will be a kid hauler, Jon Boat puller, family truck. I have a Tacoma to drive in the woods and hunt out of so the new truck wont do much real truck stuff. Plan to keep the vehicle for at least 8-10 years or longer.

I've pretty much ruled out Chevy and GM because of the engine problems that have plagued them for the last decade.
    I have not ruled out Ford, but I know they have had timing chain issues with the ecoboosts although they seem to be better than they were.
    I don't have a real reason to not entertain a Ram, but for some reason I haven't.

I have had such good luck with my Tacoma, and my wife loves her Highlander, I just find myself leaning toward a Tundra.

Oh, and WTF! trucks have gotten expensive!

Neighbor at the river just bought one. He wouldnt tell me what he paid, but hinted it was >$100k.

He used the farm to buy it but it's more of a Cadillac that it is a truck. I dont know anyone thats bought who would use it as a real truck.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I am saying that as a Tundra driver/owner, I'm not sure I'd buy one of the new ones just because they're butt ugly, and the engine is a brand new platform and an answer to government EPA bullshit. I am already fighting one problem created by the government EPA bullshit on my standard 5.7 V8.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Neighbor at the river just bought one. He wouldnt tell me what he paid, but hinted it was >$100k.

He used the farm to buy it but it's more of a Cadillac that it is a truck. I dont know anyone thats bought who would use it as a real truck.
    You can buy a new 1794 for like $65k. Seems reasonable compared to a denali 1500 at $75k or a raptor for $85k

$65k for a pickup seems insane much less those other figures. Guess my dollar is worth 50 cents.
    cut\'em

The GM engine problems are caused by active fuel management, which can be turned off by KRT. Outside of that they seem to be pretty reliable and ride really good. And if you change your own oil it takes 5 minutes in the newer GMs - everything is easily accessible (was a big deal for me).

They all break. If one of them didn’t the others would go out of business.

Get a 2021. Last year they made the v8, ain’t no one made a turbo charged v6 yet that doesn’t have problems

I've had several friends buy new ones.. I did hear one guy said the lowest new 1794 he saw was right at 80.. I thought they were not appealing until I saw a friend of mine buy one, raise it a few inches, not necky, and put decent tires on it. He's a timber guy, I told him not to screw it up because I might buy it.. I still don't really care to buy a new one. My 18 is closer to base, the quicksand Tundras didn't come all decked out, and it still only has 50 something thousand on it. Also being I only paid in the upper 40s for it. I kinda bought one to drive forever.. But when I get in or around one, it makes me think.

I bought a '21 a few months ago simply because I didn't trust a new motor. This is my 3rd with the V8. I like that that start when you turn the key/push the button. I have the TRD Pro, I'd like it to be 2" taller but don't want to screw up the current suspension. I like how it drives now.

I have ‘14 SR5 extended cab. Think the sticker was 42 when I got it new.

With the kids getting bigger, wife wants me to get crew cab. The 1794’s come with a 6.5 bed option so I’ve been looking at them hard. Just like Highstrung said, throw a lift, new tires and you’ll be good. Week after I bought mine, I’d did the same thing and when returning to dealership for something small, the GM said, “ now it’s a good looking truck.”

Haven’t gotten in one yet because of availability, but kind of afraid to sit in one because I’ll want it. Southern duck makes a point when you comparing them to the other higher models in the brands too.

Default 22-23 toyota tundra

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Get a 2021. Last year they made the v8, ain’t no one made a turbo charged v6 yet that doesn’t have problems
    That’s what I did. Plan on having it a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigbuckdown; 05-09-2023 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Guess my dollar is worth 50 cents.
    It's been that way for a while, now it's more like .25 cents. $75K is almost reasonable for an upper trim truck these days. The local Ford dealer had a '23 Lariat High Output Powerstroke hit the lot at $96K MSRP with a $10K ADM on it for a total of $106 plus fees and someone bought it within the week. They also had a F250 XLT standard Powerstroke, cloth interior for $86K, someone bought that one too. The cost of vehicles today is insane, I've been looking at full size luxury SUV's for a while now, features are cut out but the prices aren't, a Lexus LX600 is MSRP at $106K, dealers are tacking on huge ADM's to them to $150K plus. Found a used one with 6K miles for a bargain at $136K, reckon I'll wait on that too. The Raptor R with the Shelby GT500 engine lists at $109K, with ADM they're $140-$160. Boats are a whole other story, stopped to look at and Xpress 20' a few weeks ago, dang thing was $56K for an aluminum boat, my old 1860 Triton just got an upgrade on the trolling motor and new engine last year instead. Thought about moving up to a 37' CC, nope you're going to be in the $500K range, just going to put new engines on the old Southport instead.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    It's been that way for a while, now it's more like .25 cents. $75K is almost reasonable for an upper trim truck these days. The local Ford dealer had a '23 Lariat High Output Powerstroke hit the lot at $96K MSRP with a $10K ADM on it for a total of $106 plus fees and someone bought it within the week. They also had a F250 XLT standard Powerstroke, cloth interior for $86K, someone bought that one too. The cost of vehicles today is insane, I've been looking at full size luxury SUV's for a while now, features are cut out but the prices aren't, a Lexus LX600 is MSRP at $106K, dealers are tacking on huge ADM's to them to $150K plus. Found a used one with 6K miles for a bargain at $136K, reckon I'll wait on that too. The Raptor R with the Shelby GT500 engine lists at $109K, with ADM they're $140-$160. Boats are a whole other story, stopped to look at and Xpress 20' a few weeks ago, dang thing was $56K for an aluminum boat, my old 1860 Triton just got an upgrade on the trolling motor and new engine last year instead. Thought about moving up to a 37' CC, nope you're going to be in the $500K range, just going to put new engines on the old Southport instead.
    Looked at a LX600 a few weeks ago/ it was $165k. Absolutely insane!!!

I wouldn’t get the first platform of anything.

I liked the 5.7 I had that GBelly has now. It was a SR5 and a damn good truck.

Good friend of mine has a new one and said he wishes he had the 5.7 but overall I think he likes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I was between the Ford and the new Tundra. Drove a Tacoma since 2006. Had every intention of buying the Tundra, but couldn’t get over how ugly they are. Bought the Ford. Been moderately please but not blown away. Wish the Tundra was better looking.
    Carolina Counsel

I had a 19 and got a 20 and going to drive it a yr or two and buy a 21 if that says anything, mine is a sr5 but o got black leather from katskinz Putin and I love it, I found a 21 with 9k miles on it for 45k it’s black and sexy.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead