Thread: Purina One Alternative

Default Purina One Alternative

I typically feed my dogs Purina One Lamb and Rice, but it has gotten a little expensive for my taste (or dog's taste) over the last few months... gone up almost $20 for a 40 lb bag. It's now around $60/bag at Tractor Supply. What are some alternatives the brain trust might suggest.

Inflation probably has alternatives just as pricey, perhaps. Not being a smartass, I assure you. Hopefully I'm wrong.

You aren't wrong. It's all expensive.

I hear tell of folks forming "co-ops" and buying in bulk, drop ship, pallets of food at a discounted rate.

I feed Purina One true instinct (36lb) for $52 bucks, give or take from Chewy that ships every month and it has gone up over the last year. Try buying Purina Pro Plan, it is ridiculous. You can damn near buy steak, chicken and rice and cook it yourself for cheaper than that. I tried Diamond naturals from tractor supply a couple months ago and was about $10 bucks cheaper that Purina One, but dog didn't like it, so much so that I threw the rest of the bag out and went back to Purina. FJB
    "run and gun guide service"

I buy Inukshuk by the pallet
    Windows Down!

Raw liver
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I feed Pro Plan. It went from being expensive to now being ridiculous BUT my ~75 lab eats only about 27-30 lbs a month and his stools are very small. It is an efficient food and the pros really do use the stuff. That being said, the bag size has gone down to 37.5 lbs (it was 55 lbs five years ago) and it costs $64 on Amazon. So I am about $50 per month on feeding him. If you are cleaning kennels or looking for the best food, you might try that direction. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Purina for Professionals.

Glenn can send you his login info.

Maggie, you can still get the 50lb bags.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Maggie, you can still get the 50lb bags.
    I went and dug deep and did find a 47lb bag; thanks for the head's up. Crazy how buried it was Thanks, MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-08-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Was about to say the same thing about the 50# bags of pro plan. It cost $$, but my pup looks healthy and his checkups are always positive so I’m gonna just keep feeding him.
    I get the 50# bag at tractor supply.
    Last edited by joshua2; 05-08-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Purina for Professionals.

Glenn can send you his login info.
    IF we have one, I'm flattered you think I know what it is. That's clerical and I don't clerical.

We have had six dogs, Purina pro plan, luckily, all of them have lived to be about 15 years old with very little health issues. I’ll keep buying it no matter what.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.