Thread: Anybody tried this?

Default Anybody tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/DPP-Titanium-...s%2C129&sr=8-3

I'm completely ready to accept the dumptruck load of crap I'm sure to get over this.I also recently had to accept that my eyes aren't what they used to be. I also know absolutely nothing about red dot sights, but everybody I know that has one loves it and I'm ready to give it a shot (pun intended). I really like the pistol I'm considering putting this on, but from what I understand it's a pain in the neck to get the existing slide milled to accept the mount. The only risk I see is having to remove/ replace the rear sight (which I'll do even if this doesn't work in favor of an aftermarket sight). Let the thrashing begin.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

If you want a red dot on your handgun, and have some time to practice with it because no doubt it takes some getting used to, this looks like a viable and easy option.

The only thing I'd look for is a red dot with the 'shake awake' capability. I was looking at picking up another Venom, but that takes a few seconds to turn on, which eliminates the value of having a red dot in an emergency situation. Just my $0.02...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

It looks like it could work well depending of the fit. What part about getting the slide milled has you thinking it’s a pain?

I have the EGW dovetail mount with a Burris FF3 for my ATI 22. I love it. It has been flawless for 1000+ rounds.

Center fire pistol may be a different animal with the amount of recoil but it is really dependent on tolerances.

Personally on a center fire pistol, I would have the slide cut for a plate. Buck at @ CH makes a great plate.

There is nothing wrong with a dovetail mounted red dot. Trijicon makes them for the RMRCC to fit since they made it such a weird footprint and they’re not known for making junk. You give up the possibility of cowitnessing unless the optic has somewhat of a notch to it.

As far as DPP I’ve seen a lot of M&p guys use them to fit Holosuns into shield plus’ with good luck.

Sending a slide off to be milled isn’t a huge deal either though.

Let me rephrase. When I say it'd be a pain in the neck to send my slide off, I mean a personal, three fold pain. One, I'm not 100% committed to a red dot. I like the thought of a removable piece that will let the gun go back to factory configuration if i changemy mind. Two, I'm extremely impatient. Three, I have a deep seated distrust of the postal service, ups, fed ex, etc. No offense to anybody here that works there, I know they successfully deliver millions of packages a day, but my luck would undoubtedly make the one in a million package that gets lost or destroyed the one that my gun would be useless without.
    Last edited by Pcole; 05-07-2023 at 11:13 AM.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Yes. My wife has one on her CZ Shadow 2. She chose the cheaper route to see how she was going to like the red dot. I sent mine off to CZ custom shop and had the slide milled.

The dovetail plate sets the red dot a lot higher than a milled slide, but once you get used to it you can find the dot pretty fast.

As B-stick mentioned. CH makes some good stuff. That's what I installed on her CZ as well.

Looks like he even makes one for co-witness on the G Locks.

https://chpws.com/product/glock_mos_rsf/

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Let me rephrase. When I say it'd be a pain in the neck to send my slide off, I mean a personal, three fold pain. One, I'm not 100% committed to a red dot. I like the thought of a removable piece that will let the gun go back to factory configuration if i changemy mind. Two, I'm extremely impatient. Three, I have a deep seated distrust of the postal service, ups, fed ex, etc. No offense to anybody here that works there, I know they successfully deliver millions of packages a day, but my luck would undoubtedly make the one in a million package that gets lost or destroyed the one that my gun would be useless without.
    Gotcha. Let us know how it works out.

I used an EGW plate on a Glock 17 for about a year with no issues. If you are putting it on Glock, you can buy an after market optics ready slide pretty cheap. I bought one from a company in NC. Its as good or better than the factory MOS slide.

$20 is a good introductory to see how you like it. I might buy one too for my EDC and put a dot on it to see how I like it.

How much to mill one for an actual plate?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Rock Slide is the company that sells the Glock slides. Ive got one on a 35 with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel topped with an SRO. Its the most accurate Glock ive ever shot.
    https://rockslideusa.com/shop/

20210412_185409_IMG_2622.jpg
    Last edited by FLS; 05-11-2023 at 11:17 AM.

I've been thinking about something like this for my Shield Plus for much the same reasons you described. The Dove mount caught my attention because it includes a rear sight and replacement front sight to match the new height of the rear sight.

https://dovemounts.com/product/dovedot-rmsc/

Dove is steel, CH is aluminum. Dove is more expensive. I haven't found many actual users of the Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    $20 is a good introductory to see how you like it. I might buy one too for my EDC and put a dot on it to see how I like it.

How much to mill one for an actual plate?
    BB, the last price I saw was about $150 plus shipping to them, unless you can find a local shop/gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    I've been thinking about something like this for my Shield Plus for much the same reasons you described. The Dove mount caught my attention because it includes a rear sight and replacement front sight to match the new height of the rear sight.

https://dovemounts.com/product/dovedot-rmsc/

Dove is steel, CH is aluminum. Dove is more expensive. I haven't found many actual users of the Dove.
    Which red dot were you thinking of?

I doubt I'll put a red dot on my 365XL even though it's already milled for it, but for EDC I guess I'm not convinced yet that a red dot is faster at the short ranges normally incurred. If anyone can honestly refute that, feel free.
    ~ George Washington

Yeah, for $150 I think I'd just sell the non milled gun and buy one that's milled.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yeah, for $150 I think I'd just sell the non milled gun and buy one that's milled.
    I've been thinking the same thing. If I opt to try an RD on my G19, I'll go the route Pcole is since I've got a Venom on my .22 that I really don't need.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 05-11-2023 at 07:53 PM.
    ~ George Washington

BB, check out htony1’s post in the TP. For the upgrade cost of an optics cut, a good red dot, and some other customized features, you can have that enhanced G19 you wanted.
    ~ George Washington