Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discretion

Default Discretion

I have been around here long enough to know exactly how this is going to go over. But I'm just dumb enough to give her a shot.

We are in a situation with a declining turkey population, and that has been documented.

We are in a situation where a whole lot of folks have a whole lot more time to hunt turkeys this season.

Equipment available has made us far more proficient at killing turkeys.

Turkeys are taking, and will continue to take a beating. Opportunity creates dead turkeys.

I think it would be prudent for all of us to take a look in the mirror and decide how many we need to kill. Mike Chamberlain told a friend the other day that this increase in hunter opportunity could put southeastern wild turkeys in a situation that they may never recover from. That's a big deal.

I've already heard horror stories about the number of folks hunting public. We are having an "early" spring. The weather pattern is incredible. Turkeys are begging to die.

If all of us let 1 turkey live that would otherwise die, or at least let him breed for another 10 days, I think it could make a difference.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

We will kill no more than one on our 350 acres.
    Carolina Counsel

They been breeding for a month.

Kill snakes and hawks if you wanna save turkeys

Youth opens tomorrow in NC. I pray there are some turkeys left for the rest of us next Saturday when general season opens. A lot of folks that have been cooped up for the last few weeks will be in a pop up blind staring at a decoy spread with tags still on them at daybreak while their kid plays on a phone.

I stopped by my local hunting shop today for a bow part. He sold out of jake decoys, ground blinds, and yelpers this week.

Tomorrow will be a record setting day for the # of birds getting shot.

Once I watch double d shoot one I’m done for this year. They are definitely in a decline around here.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Youth opens tomorrow in NC. I pray there are some turkeys left for the rest of us next Saturday when general season opens. A lot of folks that have been cooped up for the last few weeks will be in a pop up blind staring at a decoy spread with tags still on them at daybreak while their kid plays on a phone.

I stopped by my local hunting shop today for a bow part. He sold out of jake decoys, ground blinds, and yelpers this week.

Tomorrow will be a record setting day for the # of birds getting shot.
    NC adult season might as well open tomorrow.

To the OP, do you plan to kill your 3 in SC this year?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    To the OP, do you plan to kill your 3 in SC this year?
    I haven’t yet. I’m certainly going to wait until later in the season and assess the situation
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Thought raccoons played big role in turkey population as well.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    Thought raccoons played big role in turkey population as well.
    They do. I trap the fire out of them

I just got out of a club because of a member shooting 2 mature birds opening morning , in game zone two , which you can only kill one the first ten days and one a day any other time . That shit bothers me .

Might help if people just kill the legal limited. just saying

I agree with you on most of this. But also everywhere I’ve seen had a really good jake hatch last year and hopefully out weight the birds getting pounded this year.

Why does this feel like the Hollywood and DC elites telling us we should watch our carbon footprint while they are jet-setting around the world?

If I kill one, I am done. I don’t need to prove anything to anyone.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I promise to only kill three.

I watched them from the ranger yesterday and the tractor today. Doubt I hunt one time. No I don’t allow people to come hunt my property.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    Why does this feel like the Hollywood and DC elites telling us we should watch our carbon footprint while they are jet-setting around the world?
    That was my initial thought as well and what prompted my question.
    But If he’s trying to protect the species he most loves to hunt I won’t knock on him for that.

Maybe one day I’ll be in here asking y’all to consider the number of squirrels you kill per season
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Last year was a banner year for turkey hatch success. I've got jakes running around everywhere. They are harassing the longbeards. Ive been 3 times and the last 2 mornings in a row I've had packs of jakes come by me and go towards the gobbling and the big bird goes into ghost mode. It's the most jakes ive seen in YEARS!

Ya know Ive been thinking about this, and part of me thinks this is gonna be awful for the turkeys, and then another part of me thinks it won't be as bad as expected. Given the fact that 90% of people in the woods don't have a clue what they're doing, I'd say they're just gonna be bumbling around and bumping into the other guys creating more of an obstacle and making it more difficult to kill birds if anything. Maybe that's just my rose colored glasses. I think the new regs will be a huge help and came just in the nick of time.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly