Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese mini pickups

Default Japanese mini pickups

Anybody have one, or know anything about them?

Have you stopped by Japan Direct Motors in Irmo? Brooks has been importing for years. I see a lot of the dump bed and tiny vans around here.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My neighbor has had the Suzuki version for a year or so. Neat little machine. The sides of the bed fold down to make a flat bed. It sips gas. It's street legal with lights, turn signals ect. 4wd, heat. He drives it around the neighborhood, down to his dock and to his shop a few miles away. Basically it's his side by side. I'm seeing more of them around. Neat little rigs, it just gets some getting used to driving them from the right seat.

I want one. I drive by that place in Irmo window shopping through the fence. I like simple vehicles. And I think I’d smile the whole time I was driving one. Especially if I was taking my kids to school.

I can’t get past the right hand drive. Unless your a mailman it just sees inconvenient.

The best way to do it is buy a whole container. Find 5-6 buddies and buy an entire shipping container of them direct from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I want one. I drive by that place in Irmo window shopping through the fence. I like simple vehicles. And I think I’d smile the whole time I was driving one. Especially if I was taking my kids to school.
    If I remember correctly, they are anything but simple to work on and get parts for. Might be different since yall have a place up there that specifically works on them.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    The best way to do it is buy a whole container. Find 5-6 buddies and buy an entire shipping container of them direct from Japan.
    This is how a group from the club did it long time ago.

Im not sure what all this place does in Irmo, but you'll need to do a few things. Find you a good supplier for parts and relocate battery to in the bed, not underneath. The belts dont like getting wet for sure.

They are great machines for sure, just have their limitations like other machines. They are bumpy as you sit right of the front suspension. Heat is great in the winter time. Anyone over 6'2 will hate life in one. I think it is funny though. Better buy one with 4 wheel drive also.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 05-05-2023 at 07:52 AM.

I've also been interested to put seats and dog box in the back for quail hunting. I always wondered if KRT could repair them.

We used one at a place I would hunt in VA. If you are above 6ft tall, it is a tight fit. It was a beast off road though.

I think they're cool, but I'd be scared to get in a wreck in one. Your knees would be done for in a front end collision. I'd jump on one in a second if it was for a hunting club/private land.

I had a UTE bed on my old Land Cruiser 70 series I sold. Those things are a world better than traditional truck beds.

I’m tempted to turn my 100 series into a pickup with a Ute bed.

OK. Who wants to go in on a container?

There is a car lot here in Anderson that does alot of them. This AWD A team van looks pretty cool.
    99E100A6-DCAD-4735-B186-F89D4C419316.jpg

BA Barracus does not approve btw
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    BA Barracus does not approve btw
    Yeah but what if it was a midget that looked like BA?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    OK. Who wants to go in on a container?
    I'm in on a group buy

I pity the fool...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

You can find them online all day long for 2500 to 3500 bucks. They're all over 20 years old. 20 is some sort of trigger date far having to export them. Im just interested in one for farm work, not highway use, so left hand drive or wrecks aren't really an issue. And for the price, if it turns out to be a dud, its not the end of the world. I'm gonna look into ordering a container. If I find anything out, I'll post it.
    Last edited by GMAC; 05-06-2023 at 08:20 AM.

Keep me posted. I may be interested.

I am interested. If a container full, is purchased, whats the price per vehicle?
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.