Thread: Manipulation of rates

Default Manipulation of rates

I’ll be the first to admit that I did not major in economics and won’t pretend to understand everything that impacts the financial markets, but does anyone else think that it’s crap that the government can manipulate rates to control the economy or is it a necessary function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b35w; 05-03-2023 at 07:05 PM.

Yes, it's crap. The Federal Reserve should never have existed.

I also don’t understand the concept of the govt be able to just print money as it sees fit

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    So how does “paper” not backed by anything, have any value at all?

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    So how does “paper” not backed by anything, have any value at all?

Full faith and credit of the United States.

What value does gold really have? Gonna make jewelry out of it, or maybe a wire if shtf?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Full faith and credit of the United States.

What value does gold really have? Gonna make jewelry out of it, or maybe a wire if shtf?
    True but it’s a tangible asset. I just don’t understand something having value because someone created it and says it does

It's good because they say it's good. If/when we're not the world's big dog, then it won't be.
    Last edited by wob; 05-04-2023 at 06:28 AM.

The paper your dollars are made out of is tangible. Same as the gold, somebody said it had value. It's not good for anything life-sustaining or essential other than its ability to procure those items from someone who has them.

I'm not knocking your early morning thought processes but if you press it too hard we are gonna be back to trading chickens and potatoes amongst one another. And I'll admit that some days that doesn't sound like so bad of an idea.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    True but it’s a tangible asset. I just don’t understand something having value because someone created it and says it does

But isn’t that what cryptocurrency is? I am not in the markets so I am asking this as a legitimate question.

Wampum…

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    But isn’t that what cryptocurrency is? I am not in the markets so I am asking this as a legitimate question.
    Yea! I don’t understand that either

Default Manipulation of rates

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    The paper your dollars are made out of is tangible. Same as the gold, somebody said it had value. It's not good for anything life-sustaining or essential other than its ability to procure those items from someone who has them.

I'm not knocking your early morning thought processes but if you press it too hard we are gonna be back to trading chickens and potatoes amongst one another. And I'll admit that some days that doesn't sound like so bad of an idea.
    I think what I have a tough time getting my mind around is there is a limited amount of gold and it’s not being “produced”. If you want gold, you either buy it or find it. You can’t just make as much of it as you see fit which directly brings down the overall value because now the supply is greater.

Last edited by b35w; 05-04-2023 at 06:42 AM.