Thread: Wooden Deer Stands

Default Wooden Deer Stands

Discuss.

Ladder type? Nail some 2x4's to a tree and lounge in the crook?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You are pulling quite the spread today.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I should have put my way back out first, but I'll manage.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

That’s all we had growing up. 2x4 steps and a frame in the V.

The only sketchy part was the way ours were built is you’d have to climb over the backrest to get into it.

grew up hunting many sketchy stands in the north georgia mountains. from metal folding chairs wired up into a tree to stands built after leaving the house with a saw a hammer and a pocket full of 16 penny nails. Use saplings for steps and a makeshift seat or platform. Not sure which were more dangerous - these old stands or the baker climber i had.

I got some treat 1x4s from a project at the house and a base that I already have made. Gonna throw the 1x4s together with a metal roof and some canvas then throw it on a power line.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    mouse trap

I think wooden stands are awesome.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

oh and

SADDLE
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mine are big, quiet and comfortable. Even got a pee pipe in one.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I had a wooden box stand. Had an old office chair I took the casters off and screwed it into the floor. Was much more comfortable that the folding metal chair. Only sketchy part was reclining in the office chair, felt like the screws were going to come loose one day and I was going to tumble out the back.

Most common form of litter in the woods. Either that or the bucket Bubba sat on during deer drives in 1981.

Grew up hunting out of wooden ladders with a pallet platform and a 5gal bucket.

This is the best one, has a screen door option at the entry for those summer hunts and sits perfectly in the shade Looking down a large powerline with woods on one side and a field on the other. Really nice.
    0062A3DC-2018-41C0-BDF0-CD0AB8536939.jpg

A pallet nailed across two limbs in a mature oak with 2x4 steps (these steps should have been twice the length as they were)
    in the corner of my Granddad's small corn field was where a lot of deer came to die when I was between 12 and 18 years old,
    at the hands of an old Model 64 Winchester 30-30
    Last edited by ecu1984; 05-04-2023 at 01:53 AM.

Here is what I know about wooden deer hunting stands...

1. You can build a good, solid 16' leaning stand out of 2x4's and plywood complete with a bench seat, tote it to your WMA parking spot on the top of a Ford Tempo, and carry it 500 yards through the woods to set it up. Yes, this is possible, but I'd advise against it.

2. Do not ever start climbing a 70' oak tree that starts with a wooden ladder leading to big nailed in spikes that leads to a wooden perch somewhere around the 50' mark...especially when the Guy (intentionally capitalized) that put it up there is 6'4" tall or is 4" taller than you. Going up is exciting; sitting in the stand and coming down are downright terrifying.

3. ALWAYS climb within 30 feet of any old, rotting tree stands you happen upon in the woods...especially if it is WAY back in there and/or it looks like it was a seriously involved project. Before there were climbers and portable stands, the ol' boys didn't waste time and money putting stands where deer didn't walk.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

My first deer stand back in the day was a Baker stand.
    Basically, a foot climber and you hugged the tree with your arms to climb. I had a piece of 3/4 plywood 3" wide and about 2' long that that I laid across the arms to sit on.
    Safety belts were unheard of at the time.
    You didn't want to doze off sitting on that death trap.

An interesting piece of deer hunting history.

https://thehuntingdude.com/baker-cli...stry-pioneers/
    Last edited by scatter shot; 05-04-2023 at 03:48 PM.

I still have a Baker in the rafters of my garage.

A buddy of mine was too cheap to buy the hand climber and just bear-hugged the tree to climb. He climbed a viney tree on a hot August afternoon and later found out the vines were poison ivy. It almost put him in the hospital.