Thread: Good news! Meat is ok again

Default Good news! Meat is ok again

https://nypost.com/2023/05/01/hundre...t-based-diets/

Hundreds of scientists have banded together to blast the push to adopt a plant-based diet, arguing that meat is critical to a well-balanced diet — and warning against villainizing carnivores.

Experts behind nine new research papers published in Animal Frontiers are among nearly 1,000 signatures on a declaration looking to prove the value of red meat amid a global increase in vegetarianism and veganism.

“Livestock-derived foods provide a variety of essential nutrients and other health-promoting compounds, many of which are lacking in diets even among those populations with higher incomes,” the declaration states.

“Well-resourced individuals may be able to achieve adequate diets while heavily restricting meat, dairy and eggs. However, this approach should not be recommended for general populations.”

The initiative argues that livestock systems are “too precious to society to become the victim of simplification, reduction or zealotry.”

“These systems must continue to be embedded in and have broad approval of society,” the declaration says.

Scientists behind the papers looked to debunk claims that the consumption of red meat is unhealthy and has negative environmental impacts.

The group found that previous research suggesting a diet high in red meat was responsible for 896,000 deaths worldwide was flawed and should be retracted.

That study, the major Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries and Risk Factor Study, has helped push the public away from consuming red meat in favor of plant-based diets.

“The peer-reviewed evidence published reaffirms that [the 2019 Global Burden of Disease Risk Factors Report] which claimed that consumption of even tiny amounts of red meat harms health is fatally scientifically flawed,” argued Alice Stanton of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland.

“In fact, removing fresh meat and dairy from diets would harm human health. Women, children, the elderly and low income would be particularly negatively impacted,” Stanton added.

The scientists also warned that it is difficult to replace the nutritional value of meat with plant-based substitutes and that poorer communities that don’t consume as much meat often suffer from negative health impacts, such as stunting, wasting and anemia due to lack of nutrients and protein.

“Animal-source foods are superior to plant-source foods at simultaneously supplying several bioavailable micronutrients and high-quality macronutrients that are critical for growth and cognitive development,” said Adegbola Adesogan, director of the University of Florida’s Global Food Systems Institute.

“Dietary recommendations to eliminate animal-source foods from diets ignore their importance, particularly the great need for these foods in diets of the undernourished in the Global South.”

The Dublin Declaration, which called for “zealots” to stop promoting a meat-free diet, includes signatures from experts across several top universities, including Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol, Belfast, Newcastle, Nottingham, and Surrey as well as several scientists from Britain’s leading farming university Harper Adams.

Animal Frontiers is the official research journal for four professional animal science societies: the American Society of Animal Science, the Canadian Society of Animal Science, the European Federation of Animal Science and the American Meat Science Association.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Notice that the fake meat products are not advertised as good for your health but rather good for the planet.

ha
    let me know when it gets to 2000 signatures.

i eat meat and like it. cant really argue if it has necessary nutrients in it, or not.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cuz you’re scared of your brother.

i forwarded him the link.
    the scary part is i can already kinda tell where he's gonna pick holes in it.

I do wish someone would explain to me why its more expensive to be a plant eater. I hear that a lot and see it in articles but I just cant fathom how that could be. Shopping for organic veggies at Whole Foods may be expensive but I'm not sure how the concept of eating veggies is more expensive. Granted, I often dont understand the "socio-economic" part of a lot of things these days. Like access to abortion and such.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Maybe it is based on a calories per dollar type argument? Or could be something to do with the variety of plants and/or supplements necessary to get all the nutrients needed in your diet? I don't really know exactly.

I mean, how much does it cost to go to all hemp clothing and vegan leather? That's gotta account for something right?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I God did't want us to slaughter animals he would not have made them out of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

I do wish someone would explain to me why its more expensive to be a plant eater. I hear that a lot and see it in articles but I just cant fathom how that could be. Shopping for organic veggies at Whole Foods may be expensive but I'm not sure how the concept of eating veggies is more expensive. Granted, I often dont understand the "socio-economic" part of a lot of things these days. Like access to abortion and such.
    Probably more expensive with the end of life care that last for decades.

I wish the institutions that think for me would make up their minds so I can know how to live.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I think it’s referring to fresh produce.

The veggie only movement has made many a man rich.

I was in NY last September.

Vegan only place at the bottom of my hotel.

Edimamae (sp?) and a bowl of rice the size of a tennis ball.........28.99
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

A fool and their money will soon part!

I’m gonna eat cows. Get between it and I’ll gut shoot you.