Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper/RV Tires

Default Camper/RV Tires

Had 2 blowouts on my 5th wheel coming back from Santee yesterday. The camper is a 2019 model bought new 2020 and tires look new, tread great, no dry rot, is stored under a cover ( not enclosed completely), only used 2-4 times per year and usually less than 150 miles. I had someone tell me you should change tires on a camper every 3-4 years regardless of miles. Their theory is sitting on the tires, being as heavy as they are is not good for them and will create a flat spot and start separation between the belts. What’s you guys thoughts on this? The blowout of course created a good bit of damage underneath and I’m trying to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Ordered 4 new 10 ply tires today. Any experience from this group ?

I would think all the weight sitting on them is bad on them unless you use the camper regularly. If I had one I would level out camper at home taking the weight off of the tires. I would also have boards under the tires to keep from being in contact with the dirt.

Even the best campers use the cheapest tires to keep cost down. Google "China Bomb rv tires" and you'll get more information than you'll want to read. I replaced mine early with 12 ply. Boat trailers are just about in the same category.

They dry rot pretty quick but not in a year.
    Last edited by centurian; 05-02-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Most stock “china bomb” tires aren’t worth pulling down the road more than you have to. Replace as soon as possible. I prefer to go up a load range and recommend the Goodyear Endurance tire on any trailer or camper. A little pricier but worth the cost in piece of mind. As you mentioned the blowouts cause severe damage when they happen and ends up in a huge headache and cost more money than the higher quality tires. My dad blew 3 tires out in a single trip and the camper ended up at camping world for right at 11 months due to the damage it caused. That was enough for me to replace my stock tires on mine and vow to never give camping world my business again.

What a coincidence! I just had two blowouts on the way to Hamilton Branch! Same story. I bought the tires just a couple of years ago, and store my camper inside as well. Very low miles on them. I decided to upgrade my tires to a 14 ply, load range G tire. I've got them in and they are much more like semi tires than any normal trailer tire. Very, very heavy tires. Apparently they come with free roadside assistance for 2 years as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...e/LHWL410.html

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I got tired of the same issue so I installed a BFGoodrich Commercial Truck Tire. Its been 3 years and no more issues.

Damn now i am going to have to get a new set of tires for my NEW camper. Even so thanks for the information, i never heard of china bomb tires.

I quit running trailer tires along time ago...they just can't handle the heat of extended trips.

Running radial LT 10/12-plys now. I run 4x 15" under the bay boat and 6x 16" under the big boat. Would leave for LA or FLA tomorrow with no concerns. If folks have the room in the wheel wells, I highly suggeat trying to get to at least 15 or 16" tires on all trailer tires.

ETA: I have in excess of 25 trailers at work...every one of them are running LT tires.They hold up to my guys very well. And these guys can tear up an anvil with a rotten banana...most of them think that curbs are designed to bounce the trailer back into the lane.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 05-02-2023 at 08:20 AM.

I run hankooks on my tag along when I had it.

After 3 blowouts in 6 trips with the factory tires I had enough. Being stranded middle of nowhere in the summer with 3 kids, a doodle and a yelling wife is no fun.

I’m picking up a new 5th wheel Thursday. The tires won’t be on there long
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 05-02-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Switched mine out with Goodyear Endurance® Trailer Tires, 5 times better than tires that came with camper.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

For your boat and utility trailers, are you guys sticking with Bias Ply or using Radials? Thus far I've had bias ply, but need to put new tires on my dual axle, 5000 lb rated, 16' utility trailer soon. They are presently 13", but was thinking about going to 15". It sounds like that would be a good idea based on everyone's stories above.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

15" tires are a big improvement over 13" regardless of who makes them.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    15" tires are a big improvement over 13" regardless of who makes them.
    My wife's '93 Camry wagon that she wanted me to keep running forever is hitting it's last days. Based on expected salvage prices, I may just take the newer 15" Michelin tires and wheels off of that and move them to my trailer, and put the 13" trailer tires on the Camry as it goes to the salvage yard. May as well get all of the useful stuff off the vehicle before it dies in a field somewhere.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    middle of nowhere in the summer with 3 kids, a doodle and a yelling wife is no fun.
    This sounds less than ideal even under perfect cicrcumstances...

I change them every five years, regardless how they look. Just ordered a brand new set of wheels and tires from etrailer.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I change them every five years, regardless how they look. Just ordered a brand new set of wheels and tires from etrailer.com.
    This right here. Check your date of manufacture. Never go over five years. Even though they may look fine there has been significant dry rot.

And use tire covers if exposed to sunlight during storage.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    This right here. Check your date of manufacture. Never go over five years. Even though they may look fine there has been significant dry rot.
    Unfortunately, you're right. Tires used to last a LOT longer (if not sitting in direct sunlight) than they do today. Now some tire stores, such as Discount Tire, won't even fix a flat on a tire over five years old.

"Planned obsolescence" in action...
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    Switched mine out with Goodyear Endurance® Trailer Tires, 5 times better than tires that came with camper.
    This right here.

Friend of mine is running the country side right now working and he learned quick that these were the only tires to have.
    Double Secret Probation Officer