Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bride killed at Folly Beach hours after wedding by drunk driver

For the last year I had been drinking 6-8 beers during the day and a pint of whiskey every night. Starting in March I have cut it down to almost no liquor at all but still drink 6-8 beers a day and some days more. It’s not easy at all. I quit Copenhagen on thanksgiving and still struggle daily not to buy a can. I hate that these things seem to have such a damn grip on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    For the last year I had been drinking 6-8 beers during the day and a pint of whiskey every night. Starting in March I have cut it down to almost no liquor at all but still drink 6-8 beers a day and some days more. It’s not easy at all. I quit Copenhagen on thanksgiving and still struggle daily not to buy a can. I hate that these things seem to have such a damn grip on me.
    Hang in there my man. I’m fighting alcohol and tobacco addictions myself buddy. This thread has kicked me right in the nuts and brought some things to reality for me

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Hang in there my man. I’m fighting alcohol and tobacco addictions myself buddy. This thread has kicked me right in the nuts and brought some things to reality for me
    I knew I had a problem when I found myself lying about it and hiding it from the person I love the most and loves me unconditionally. Even knowing she wouldn’t shame me or judge me I would hide it to keep from disappointing her.

Put it down completely, there are no half measures in quitting alcohol. I did just like you 30-40 times only to fall back. I hit a point where I was miserable, hated it, didn’t enjoy things I always had like hunting and fishing. I started getting gout all the time, slept but never rested, didn’t want to be around anyone. I started praying real hard that God would help me. He did, I got sick as heck offshore one day, slept on the forward seating of my old Mako and finally got home I was just beat, next day I went to work still sick. When I got home I told Emily I needed to go to the hospital. They admitted me for acute pancreatitis, my readings were off the charts. I was sedated, pain management etc. I swore I’d never drink again, and haven’t. It took 6 weeks or more to detox. Emily changed our sheets daily for a month because I sweated so much at night. The skin on the soles of my feet turned black and peeled off, that’s how much of that poison my body had stored in it. And every day I felt better, more rested even if I didn’t sleep much. I slowly started doing the things I enjoyed again, played with my boys more and got right. I missed a lot of life trying to find the answers to my problems in the bottom of a bottle until I realized, they were all in the top of it.

Yeah, dipping and smoking are bad but they don’t take your soul and your health. I probably had as big of a reason to crawl back into the bottle as anyone ever would. I made Emily a promise though and she holds me to it to this day. I’m not exaggerating when I say she took her last two breaths on the 10th anniversary to the minute I took my last drink.

I say this to you or anyone else here, don’t be me. Don’t go through what I went through. And if any single one of you want to talk or ask questions, have someone to confide in or just bitch, let me know. I’ll help any of you struggling with this any way I can. You might not like what you hear, I’m not going to sugar coat it but I’ll pray with you, talk to you or just listen.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Ditto

First step is admitting the problem. You did that hear. I hid my drinking from alot of people myself. Once I finally came clean and wanted to stop it became easier. I hate to I got this far into it but I had to do something. My church has a program on Wednesday nights called celebrate hope, or celebrate recovery for alot of people. I've been going there for the last few weeks and it's nice being around people that have similar struggles. It's not just for addicts though, we have people with depression, sexual addictions, anything and everything. It's embarrassing but at the same time I had to humble myself because I'm still a sinner as is everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    First step is admitting the problem. You did that hear. I hid my drinking from alot of people myself. Once I finally came clean and wanted to stop it became easier. I hate to I got this far into it but I had to do something. My church has a program on Wednesday nights called celebrate hope, or celebrate recovery for alot of people. I've been going there for the last few weeks and it's nice being around people that have similar struggles. It's not just for addicts though, we have people with depression, sexual addictions, anything and everything. It's embarrassing but at the same time I had to humble myself because I'm still a sinner as is everyone else.
    Ain’t a dang thing embarrassing about it. You’ve taken control of your life, squared up and punched a demon in the face. Take that thorn and turn it into a cross. There is zero shame in admitting your wrongs, takes a man to face it, rectify it and put yourself out there to help others.

A saying I heard that stuck with me when I was caring for Emily, knowing what was coming and trying to figure out how to honor her:

I love when people that have been through hell walk out of the flames carrying buckets of water for those still being consumed by it.

You’ve been through a fire of hell.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I was a 6 pack a night guy every evening when I got home from work and 2 cans of snuff a day guy. During the summers, a day of hell up and down a ladder, doing repairs, measuring roofs and talking to people about the same thing over and over was maddening. Getting home and cracking that first natural light was my release.

When my first son was born 8 years ago I was holding him one night. It was the month of March and he was 4 months old. I’ll never forget it. I was bad about dipping while drinking at the same time. I went to spit in an empty natty light can and I saw him lock his eyes in mine. It shook me. I stopped dipping for 8 months cold Turkey. I stopped drinking every day.

Now I only drink when we are camping or on special occasions. And I only dip at night after the kids have gone to bed unless I’m cutting grass, riding the tractor etc… sure I’d love to quit both all together but man it’s tough. I tip my visor to those who have.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 05-07-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I quit a little over 2 years ago. The last drink I had was in a rice field on the last morning of duck season 2021. I just couldn’t do it anymore. Was drinking way too much when I would drink. I had stopped drinking daily, but like others have said I tried to cut back many times but would find myself right back where I was. I was very fortunate to quit when I did. My drinking had caused plenty of problems, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed. I went to AA for about a year, got a great sponsor and that helped a lot. There’s no shame in asking for help, AA, celebrate recovery whatever helps you. We had our first daughter in March of 22 and I’m so happy she will never have to know the drinking side of me. I’ll tell her when she’s ready, but she’ll never have to live it. If you are struggling there are lots of good options for help out there. You have nothing to lose, and I promise quitting will improve every aspect of your life. I have to give God the credit for my sobriety. I asked God to help me and he did. If you ask Him and trust in Him he will meet you where you are and lift you up.
    More Ducks, Less People

This thread has taken a turn for the spectacular. Well done, men.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Oh, and I had an issue with amphetamines. Had a script, but was abusing them pretty regularly. Mood swings, anger, sweating, being a poor husband, and lack of my actual personality were enough to dump that stuff. Best decision I've made since I married my wife. God bless y'all.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    Don’t be embarrassed. What you’ve done takes guts! Absolutely no shame in that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d wager there are a lot of guys here that are struggling and just haven’t admitted it yet. It’s funny how a few drinks here and there turns into an everyday thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRAYER FOR SERENITY
    God, grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    enjoying one moment at a time;
    accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
    taking, as Jesus did,
    this sinful world as it is,
    not as I would have it;
    trusting that You will make all things right
    if I surrender to Your will;
    so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

I quit drinking coming up on ten years ago. It doesn't bother me, I'm in the industry, so I don't frown upon drinking. I know some can, and some can't. I do know that I won't have another glass of scotch or glass of wine, and that's cool.. or even a pull of rock and rye. I know Bill Wilson, the followers mainly don't care for the term never.. they want to say today. I don't believe in that. Take control of it, place your faith into it, and know that the first drink is a sober and conscious decision.

I still really enjoy Kodiak.. I doubt I'll think about quiting that for a while, if I even do. I'll continue to do what I do, buying liquor, and everything else.. I'm good at it, until someone swoops in and offers me enough money as to where I won't work again. Then I'll pack a dip in, fold birds and play golf until time thinks it can get me.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    PRAYER FOR SERENITY
    God, grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    enjoying one moment at a time;
    accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
    taking, as Jesus did,
    this sinful world as it is,
    not as I would have it;
    trusting that You will make all things right
    if I surrender to Your will;
    so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.
    This is a beautiful prayer. I've said it so much I caught on that I had memorized it and say it along with the Lord's prayer every morning. I listen to a short devotional and have my quite time with the Lord on my ride to work every morning. It helps me get the day started right and strengthen my faith.

Thank you all for the kind words and anyone that is struggling please reach out to me or anyone for that matter. I realized more people have been in my shoes before me when all along I thought I was struggling alone. I was not.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Just read this on FITS this am , BAC through the roof

Potentially contributing to Komoroski’s confusion? Her blood alcohol content was recorded at .261, according to a toxicology report (.pdf) from the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED). That is more than three times the legal limit.

Komoroski refused to take a field sobriety test or submit to a breathalyzer examination.

“I did nothing wrong,” she told responding deputies

Like Salty said, there's absolutely no shame in meetings or whatever else is helping you stay sober. I admire the heck out of you for it. My last drunk was at Willie Nelson in Charlotte on 9/10/22 (8 mos, 1 day). I vaguely remember the show, the hangover the next 2 days, and a talk with a friend made me realize I had pushed "the good times" a little too far. I really struggled admitting I'm an alcoholic and that my life had become unmanagable, but in hindsight there's no doubt. I did the 90 meetings in 90 days (ended up being about 150 in 100, some of which were zoom). I went in thinking AA is a cult of weirdos, but soon realized it's some of the most amazing people I've ever met on the same journey I'm on. I went for the drinking and stayed for the thinking is what they say. Yeah, there are a few in meeting who have made my skin crawl especially in the beginning with the same whiny stories. My sponsor at the time said, "quit trying to find the differences and try to find one thing you can relate to. Also, if their whiny shares are keeping them sober, be happy they are sharing". Being sober has given me such a new peace within me and my anger, judgement, need for adrenaline, discomfort in my own skin, arrogance, and so many other bad traits have slowly faded away. Having real feeling for the first time in 30+ years has been hard at times, but my relationships are so much more real and worthwhile because of it (SOBER= Son Of-a Bitch, Everthing's Real) Fortunately, my girlfriend got sober with me, so we've been able to lift each other up when the shit fairy on my shoulder starts talking and not be faced with the loneliness of changing my past people, places, and things that kept me boozing. There are times where I think I could maybe just have a beer or two, but I've made it so far and life is so good, I know there's not a single solution in a beer or drink, so I go to a meeting or reach out to a friend in AA. There's lots of things I've struggled with in AA, but it's an amazing program full of amazing people, most of which are there to be the best person they can be, knowing they can't do that if alcohol is in their lives. If anyone's in the Pawleys/ Gtown area who wants to go to a meeting or needs anything, give me a shout (843-833-7466). We've started a secular group in Gtown on Thursday nights at 7 for those who are turned off by the heavy religious undertones in the other meetings. It's growing fast, especially with the young'ish, more mixed crowd.

Reading P&C this am and the did FOYA for phone conversations at prison where driver is incarcerated

Took time to read it all, I swear this young lady just does not understand what she did

As for the crash, she said, “It was just like a freak accident … obviously, I didn’t mean it to happen. I just feel like a terrible person, like, I didn’t mean for any of that to happen.”

Sorry but it was not a “freak accident “

I will say her Dad is very point on with her though, told her to suck it up and get tough. Told her he figures 15yrs in prison

Well said Mark. Im sorry you went through those battles with alcohol (as did I), but life has been way better since I got stopped drinking. 11-2-21 for me.

It takes a strong person, with a great support group, to face their demons, regarding addiction (or anything for that matter). Overcoming alcohol is no small feat, but it is something that will give you pride and a sense of accomplishment. I drank too much for too long, but it got bad in 2017. I had two horrific events in my life that sent it over the edge. The shutdown compounded it. I had tried to quit for about 18 months. I would be dry for 5 days to 3 months, but I always went back, and each time, it got worse. I dont buy into the "its a disease" or sickness. Its an addiction, just like tobacco (I dip, cant give it up just yet) I didn't go to meetings or therapy or anything. I am fortunate in that I have an amazing group of men who stepped in and saved my drunk ass from myself. Do what works for you.

If you think you have a problem, you do. This isnt aimed at anyone person here, but cut the shit and be honest with yourself. Quitting sucked. The idea of "cutting back" is bullshit, if you truly have a drinking problem. You arent alone. Its nothing to be ashamed of. There is more shame in letting it ruin your life. This little nugget really stuck with me, bc it applied to me. Alcohol doesnt stop and wait for you on the ride to the bottom. Every time you get back on, its still going in the same direction, but seemingly faster.

As others have said already, if you ever need someone to talk to, reach out. No judgement here. I was as bad off in the bottle as one can get without ending up homeless/dead/incarcerated, so I wont judge.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm