Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bride killed at Folly Beach hours after wedding by drunk driver

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I could not imagine.

But that said and it's an unpopular opinion... Golf carts do not mix with automobiles.
    100% correct.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I could not imagine.

But that said and it's an unpopular opinion... Golf carts do not mix with automobiles.
    They don’t mix with alcohol either.

Can guarantee this wasn’t their 1st offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unimaginable! BB brings up a good point. Unless it’s different on Folly, golf carts aren’t allowed after dark on the road
    are they.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Unimaginable! BB brings up a good point. Unless it’s different on Folly, golf carts aren’t allowed after dark on the road
    are they.
    Depends. Some have DOT approved lighting.

I have a hard time blaming golf carts. 65 MPH on east Atlantic Ave. at night is likely to hit a golf cart, pedestrian, pet, etc. no matter how well lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

I have a hard time blaming golf carts. 65 MPH on east Atlantic Ave. at night is likely to hit a golf cart, pedestrian, pet, etc. no matter how well lit.
    Definitely not taking fault away from the driver. Just was wondering about the circumstance.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Reports state it was an authorized Low-Speed-Vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Reports state it was an authorized Low-Speed-Vehicle.
    10-4! Didn’t know you could get that. Horrible situation for everyone involved. Hopefully they can find peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

If i read one of the articles correct it stated this was an vehicle approved for night use but still end of day you are responsible for avoiding contact with anything in your lane whether moving or stationary

Sad as well for this young 25 yr old driver, her life is screwed over a very bad decision as well

If not alcohol my guess is distracted driving, apparently what ever type vehicle she was driving showed very little braking prior to impact Seems like I read it was a rental vehicle she was driving

Unfortunately this accident will be a part of our classroom for years to come at Price Driving School , if you have teenagers PLEASE discuss these issues and the consequences of getting behind the wheel when under the influence of anything PLEASE
    Last edited by tprice; 05-02-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Other News Outlets name the Driver, I didn't see reference to she being 25, but yes she is screwed for the rest of her life. 3 Counts of DUI with Severe Bodily Injury, 1 Count of Reckless Homicide w/Malicious Intent. The Golf Cart was fully Legal and Licensed to operate at Night with Lights On. The woman hit the cart so hard it rolled multiple times and landed over 100yards away.

I am not putting any blame for the accident on those on the golf carts. I think that blood is on whomever's hand that greenlighted them on public roads to begin with... and the driver of the automobile, of course.

If you have tried to get anywhere in a beach town in SC during the summer...you will be stuck behind them. Marveling at them tooling around on a six lane highway where I've seen cars mangled beyond recognition many times. Folks get in them and it's a party...no mind for consequences...kids drive them...hang off the sides...no thought or care for consequences.

Again, golf cart paths are fine but there's an element of risk taking one on a two lane road.

It's an unpopular opinion but it's valid.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

This is terrible and so sad ...

Kinda like the boating safety bill, maybe a new law would keep this from happening again.

I am not putting any blame for the accident on those on the golf carts. I think that blood is on whomever's hand that greenlighted them on public roads to begin with... and the driver of the automobile, of course.

If you have tried to get anywhere in a beach town in SC during the summer...you will be stuck behind them. Marveling at them tooling around on a six lane highway where I've seen cars mangled beyond recognition many times. Folks get in them and it's a party...no mind for consequences...kids drive them...hang off the sides...no thought or care for consequences.

Again, golf cart paths are fine but there's an element of risk taking one on a two lane road.

It's an unpopular opinion but it's valid.
    It’s a sound opinion. The mixed speed combined with lack of mass is a recipe for disaster.
    cut\'em

Just horrible.

This story is making ways across the country and even over seas. So sad for all involved.

She is catching hell on Facebook. Looking at her pics she looks like a sleezy party girl from NJ. Probably enabled by her daddy.

I was hit by a drunk driver three months ago. Got lucky I wasn't killed. I think my truck, that was totaled, helped save me (Toyota Tundra).

I don't know the victims, but putting any blame on golf cart laws in inexcusable. No one is a fan of sharing the road with cyclist, golf carts, mopeds and motorcycle's, none of which stand a chance against a 2,000+ pound vehicle at any speed. But in many places some, if not all, are legally allowed to operate on public streets and have the same right to be there as a vehicle. This incident is 100% on an adult who made the adult decision to drive drunk and go 65 mph in a 25 mph zone resulting in the death of this woman. Saying this never would have happened if it weren't for golf carts on the road is like blaming a gun for a murders actions.

If change in law is what you want, it shouldn't have anything to do with golf carts. It should be putting a stop to our slap on the wrist society and giving harsher penalties to people who are directly responsible for outcomes like these, based on decisions they made whether under the influence or not (I'd be willing to bet no one forced her to drink and drive that night). This might be an unpopular opinion for some, but if the driver was sober and going the speed limit, this would have never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by contigo View Post
    I don't know the victims, but putting any blame on golf cart laws in inexcusable. No one is a fan of sharing the road with cyclist, golf carts, mopeds and motorcycle's, none of which stand a chance against a 2,000+ pound vehicle at any speed. But in many places some, if not all, are legally allowed to operate on public streets and have the same right to be there as a vehicle. This incident is 100% on an adult who made the adult decision to drive drunk and go 65 mph in a 25 mph zone resulting in the death of this woman. Saying this never would have happened if it weren't for golf carts on the road is like blaming a gun for a murders actions.

If change in law is what you want, it shouldn't have anything to do with golf carts. It should be putting a stop to our slap on the wrist society and giving harsher penalties to people who are directly responsible for outcomes like these, based on decisions they made whether under the influence or not (I'd be willing to bet no one forced her to drink and drive that night). This might be an unpopular opinion for some, but if the driver was sober and going the speed limit, this would have never happened.
    Agreed
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Heck of a first post.

I agree.

Good post and I Agree. I brought up the question of if a golf cart can be legally driven at night (for me personally). The quick search I did said that a LSV can be but a golf cart cannot. Also saw that golf carts can’t be turned into LSV. The article mentioned golf cart over and over.
    20D83EA0-6A2C-4268-AB42-FFE9A7DEC73B.jpg
    Not trying to point blame, create laws, or take away from the real intent of this post. Just wondering.

It's a tragic, emotional thing. Absolutely horrible all the way around. The bride and groom should be on their honeymoon right now loving life.

You can "if" it to death though and the one guarantee in life is that people are going to people. You will have that drunk/distracted/sleepy driver that does 65 on a two-lane residential road. I am not talking about creating new laws. This was a new law that allows golf carts and LSV's on city streets. I am not making excuses for the drunk and hope she receives everything the law will allow.

I get texted pictures every summer of golf carts absolutely destroyed at intersections from them running red lights, from another car running a red light, etc, etc.

I dont have the answers and dont think I am 100% right but people are fucking stupid and I want to be as insulated as possible from the general population. I dont ride my bike on public roads, for the same reason I dont want to ride in a golf cart on public road. Zero room for error.

Did a fast google and saw a personal injury firm has composed some stats. Linked and quoted below:

https://www.augerlaw.com/blog/a-dang...outh-carolina/

Why more people are getting seriously injured in North and South Carolina golf cart accidents than ever before
    Recently, golf carts have been making the headlines in North and South Carolina—but for the wrong reasons. The number of people injured or killed in golf cart accidents in North and South Carolina has increased by an astonishing 68 percent.

In the past two months, golf cart accidents in North and South Carolina have been on a dangerous upswing.

In June, a father, his 5-year-old son, and a 13-year-old girl were killed in Statesville, North Carolina, when a car veered over the line and hit the golf cart they were driving.
    Later that month, a 64-year-old man driving a golf cart with no headlights was killed in Lake City, South Carolina, after a car hit him head-on.
    At the end of May, an 18-year-old and three juveniles were seriously injured in Charleston, South Carolina, after their golf cart struck a vehicle and flipped over.
    A disturbing trend developing in North and South Carolina
    Why are golf cart accidents in North and South Carolina increasing? While the summer months inherently bring a spike in golf cart accidents, a disturbing trend has been developing over the past couple of years. Here are three shocking statistics about North and South Carolina golf cart accidents.

Children account for one-third of all golf cart accident injuries and deaths
    A new study found that an increasing number of children and teenagers are injured or killed each year in golf cart accidents in North and South Carolina. In the past three years, more than 6,500 adolescents were injured nationwide. Over half of those injuries occurred to adolescents 12 years and younger—who weren’t even close to the legal driving age for most other vehicles.

On average, 48 percent of all golf cart accidents result in hospitalization, severe trauma, or death
    An independent study found that of all annual golf cart accidents (18,000 per year nationwide), more than 48 percent result in hospitalization, severe trauma, or death. Golf carts provide little protection for drivers and passengers—especially when hit by a larger, faster vehicle. In fact, in most of these cases, drivers and passengers were ejected from the golf cart due to the lack of restraints (seat belts) and protection (siding, airbags, etc.).

Alcohol is involved in 3 out of 5 golf cart accidents
    Based on several studies and reports, 3 out of 5 golf cart accidents involve alcohol. Many people who operate golf carts do so because they have been drinking or because they falsely believe they can consume alcoholic beverages while driving golf carts in their neighborhood or short distances.

Under North and South Carolina DWI laws, driving a golf cart “while impaired” is illegal.

Conversely, a significant number of golf cart crashes occur because the driver of a passenger vehicle is impaired. That’s why no matter how cautious you are while operating a golf cart if you share the road with passenger vehicles, you are always at a disadvantage.

Important tips to remain safe while operating golf carts
    When operating and riding in golf carts

Keep all body parts in the golf cart and wear seat belts if available.
    Carry no more than the designated amount of passengers (or the total number of seats).
    Never drive any golf cart under the influence.
    Golf carts tip quite easily, so take turns, inclines, and declines slowly.
    Obey all traffic laws and use hand signals if the cart isn’t equipped with turn signals.
    Never drive a golf cart at dawn, dusk, or night if it doesn’t have lights.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 05-02-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton