Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last day WMA Success

Quote Originally Posted by pluffmudder View Post
    Congrats. Im surprised you got him to gobble in the middle of the day so late in the season, being on public land with hot temps. It has been my experience that if the temperature high is greater than in the 60s, gobbling in the middle of the day substantially declines. It was in the 80s and very muggy here, which is the excuse I gave myself to not go after a bird ive hung with all season long on my favorite public spot. I knew he would be there, i just gave myself an excuse to give up. Good for you to hang in there, and thanks for sharing. I will take your experience into consideration next year.
    back off those assumptions and go hunting.
    Last edited by raybird; 05-02-2023 at 06:23 AM.
    Windows Down!

i love being attacked.

notice what I said was in quotes.

spurs are NOT indicative of age per dr chamberlain and other turkey study people that know more than me and tfc combined.

so, dont argue with me but what you wrote is incorrect.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i love being attacked.

notice what I said was in quotes.

spurs are NOT indicative of age per dr chamberlain and other turkey study people that know more than me and tfc combined.

so, dont argue with me but what you wrote is incorrect.
    You seem more crotchety today than normal. You OK?

Prolly has a tooth ache.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Prolly has a tooth ache.
    Shouldn't he know how to fix that issue on his own?

It's never the tooth ache.

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Shouldn't he know how to fix that issue on his own?
    He just cleans 'em. Anything more complex than flossing gets referred to a real dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    He just cleans 'em. Anything more complex than flossing gets referred to a real dentist.
    I thought that is what the hygienist was for?

Sorry, nice bird. And I like shrooms too.

its complicated, especially if you're on 'shrooms.

but people keep harping on spurs. but someone on this very website posted a neat study that came to the conclusion that "spurs are not indicative of age" but no one seems to stop dick measuring spurs.
    I wonder sometimes if its just silly to keep on repeating the same thing but then

oh look a squirrel

WAY TO GO!!!!!

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its complicated, especially if you're on 'shrooms.

but people keep harping on spurs. but someone on this very website posted a neat study that came to the conclusion that "spurs are not indicative of age" but no one seems to stop dick measuring spurs.
    I wonder sometimes if its just silly to keep on repeating the same thing but then

oh look a squirrel
    Nah it’s silly to tell a guy he’s wrong or say anything other than congrats when a guy takes the time to post a late season public land bird with pics of his daughters. Probably hard to see that though if one thinks they’re right all the time.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Good killin Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Nah it’s silly to tell a guy he’s wrong or say anything other than congrats when a guy takes the time to post a late season public land bird with pics of his daughters. Probably hard to see that though if one thinks they’re right all the time.
    silly enough that you just had to comment.
    go fixate on someone else.

I don’t care how old they are, but I like spurs.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

All that matters to me is that he's not a jake before I shoot. It's not like a buck where you can tell age, size, etc. before, so it doesn't matter to me. Long spurs are less common, so they are neat, though.

People love to say that pressured birds gobble less, and maybe Chamberlain's data supports it, but I've never really seen that to be the case. I've seen them move and shift their range, but gobbling frequency seems more like personality and number of hens around. I know of a few birds in the past that have a truck parked on them every day of the season, but they still gobble their heads off at the end. Conversely, I've chased birds that barely gobble 5x all morning consistently, and I'm the only one hunting them.

Congrats on the bird. I do think public makes it cooler, any killing one that's been whooping you is gratifying. I had one bird beat me 5-6 times this year, so naturally I determined him to be the long-spurred ancient patriarch of the public woods. I finally killed what I presumed to be the same bird, and he had the 3/4" spurs of a 2 year old. Funny birds. They're all different and all fun to chase.
    Last edited by WNM; 05-03-2023 at 08:20 AM.

Yep, turkeys are gonna be turkeys. Sometimes their behavior makes absolutely no sense, to us anyway.

On the topic of having one whip you 5-6 times, a buddy and I went camping and hunting a different NF district a few weeks ago. We hunted a creek bottom where I killed one last year while camping. I found a bird willing to work before he got there and some idiot tried to ruin my hunt by blowing an owl hoot about 15 times, DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE F'ING DAY!!! How many times do you need to make him shock gobble? If he's gonna be a jerk and try to sneak in on a bird I'm working, just sit down and start hen calling! That gobbler shut up and left and if I'd have seen the guy doing this we'd have had a conversation...

Anyway my buddy and I stayed after that bird for 2 full days, got him fired up 6 times, never saw him. Sometimes lost him to hens, sometimes just shut up and we never saw him. It'd be funny if we had and he turned out to be a Jake that just gobbles hard.

I do my best to hunt and fish where I will have no contact with others. It can be difficult, but the effort is worth it, even if it means less fish or game around.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't spent days on what turned out to be a jake before. The whole "act like a man, get treated like a man" came to mind, but I resisted the urge.

I remember when I was the only one hunting by boat. Cant swing a dead cat without hitting another turkey hunter anymore. I wish turkey hunting was "[still] gay" -PBiz.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I do my best to hunt and fish where I will have no contact with others. It can be difficult, but the effort is worth it, even if it means less fish or game around.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't spent days on what turned out to be a jake before. The whole "act like a man, get treated like a man" came to mind, but I resisted the urge.
    You're a better man than I. Now I've never killed a Jake but that's only because I've been fortunate enough that all the turkeys I've had in range have been adults. I've seen and heard Jakes but never in range.

Early season I'd probably let one go. Late season, especially after trying for the same one a few times, he'd get copper plated #5s and I wouldn't even hesitate.

Heck we already have a shortened WMA season and can't hunt Sundays. With that much opportunity taken from me, I'm not about to eat all my tags if I've still got them all during that last week and a nub beard walks by me. I'll be eating turkey!