View Poll Results: Do you want to require a boater safety course for boaters born after 2007?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 33.89%
  • No

107 59.44%
  • Yes because I am grandfathered

12 6.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boater safety poll

I just emailed Nathan Ballentine, two emails actually.
    I told him to please vote for my good friend Phillip Lowes boater safety amendment and to not vote for the bill.
    I reminded him of his campaign signs being placed in my front yard and on another piece of property I own each election
    and I needed this from him.
    Let's see what he says

Thursday they defeated several amendments including mine.

I then adjourned debate until Tuesday and won the vote, probably because they were tired of listening and it was Thursday.

When we get back to the bill, the first amendment makes EVERYONE have to take the course. Exemptions would include if previously taken here or another state and Coast Guard test. We know they don't have the votes to pass that and if it did the amendment would become a poison pill. designed to kill the bill.

I can put up an amendment that is similar to my first one that exempted people hunting, fishing, or on their way to or from, and add "provided they have a valid hunting or fishing license and a gun or fishing gear." With your help, that will have a decent chance to pass.

After all amendments are dealt with I can have a test vote on a procedural motion. The result of the vote on that motion will likely be the same tally as the final vote will be on the bill. I have agreed to vote for the bill if my amendment passes. If it fails, I won't vote for it.

The senate won't like any amendments.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 04-30-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I just emailed Nathan Ballentine, two emails actually.
    I told him to please vote for my good friend Phillip Lowes boater safety amendment and to not vote for the bill.
    I reminded him of his campaign signs being placed in my front yard and on another piece of property I own each election
    and I needed this from him.
    Let's see what he says

Right on!

Ok I asked once but I will ask again.

Is it pointless to reach out to a house member if I am not one of their constituents?

I dont mind contacting each and every person that voted in favor of the bill but not if it is pointless, and not benig one of their constituents I may seem irrelevant to them
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The senate won't like any amendments.
    Screw the senate. They have killed off a many a good bill sent to the by the house. Let the House be the place this bill goes to die.

Yes, Quack head contact them. It will make a difference.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Don’t want to derail this thread, but if “the snoopy rod in dry storage” will pass the test for “going fishing”, wouldn’t everyone on board also be required to hold a valid fishing license to avoid getting a ticket from DNR?
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Just the boat operator I would imagine

Anyway this goes it's going to be more work for DNR, and more of an hassle for anyone using the waterways.

So either you're going to have to have your 3 hour online piece of paper or your DL that shows you were born before said date.

So instead of DNR actually riding the water ways looking for people driving fool and possibly causing wrecks, and endangering themselves and others they are going to be relegated to a ticket taker at Disney world for every boat they pass.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Ok I asked once but I will ask again.

Is it pointless to reach out to a house member if I am not one of their constituents?

I dont mind contacting each and every person that voted in favor of the bill but not if it is pointless, and not benig one of their constituents I may seem irrelevant to them
    It is not pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    What about these dumbasses that move from Ohio, NY, NJ and everywhere else that say let’s buy a boat. Most were born before 2007 and know nothing about what they are doing. They’re more dangerous than the ones you’re targeting with this bill.
    Preach it Sir!
    One tends to learn more when using ones eyes and ears....instead of running their mouth!

What about these dumbasses that move from Ohio, NY, NJ and everywhere else that say let’s buy a boat. Most were born before 2007 and know nothing about what they are doing. They’re more dangerous than the ones you’re targeting with this bill.
    Bingo.

If this bill gets traction and looks like it’s going to pass but has room for amendments, my only suggestion would be that if you’re going to force people of any age to take a course then it has to be when you register your boat (or to rent a boat). That way after a certain period of time assumedly most of the boats on the water would be operated by someone who has taken the course. This could prevent DNR from sitting at the ramp at the end of the day checking licenses.

How I realize that just bc a boat owner has taken the course when registering or renewing his registration, that doesn’t mean that he is the one operating the boat. But this does quell some of the problem of idiots buying a boat on a 20 year loan putting people in danger.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

What's the vote count currently?

I believe it doesnt start back till tomorrow?
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

It's always the responsible people who get screwed in these situations. Just ask some cops. Or black folk who don't shoot up ball games.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I believe it doesnt start back till tomorrow?
    Yeah, I just meant generally to see if there have been any flips...

what with all the phone calls and emails from constituents?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

bc I just call up my rep and tell him what I want and he goes and does that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bc I just call up my rep and tell him what I want and he goes and does that.
    if he likes you and thinks you may can do something for him in return one day
    or something like that

When his daughter’s front tooth gets knocked out because her brother threw a solo cup at her on a Saturday evening, then you own the mofo…

50% of the average working person's hunting opportunity gone via a ban on WMA Sunday hunting - "Just join a club", "animals need a day of rest", "It's how we've always done it", "Quit complaining"

DNR wants you to take a (stupid, I agree) course before you can operate a boat - "DNR OVERREACH!!!!! CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND TELL THEM NOT JUST NO BUT HELL NO!!!!!"

I love this forum. And I do agree this proposed course is stupid and just another way for DNR to harass boaters and generate easy revenue via tickets.