Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upstate turkeys…

Default Upstate turkeys…

Who’s still chasing them? Went last Friday and today and no gobbles. Neither tract I hunt is loaded with birds but I had at least been hearing a few gobbles. Killed one April 2nd but tag soup since. How about the rest of y’all?

Ain’t used a tag yet. Got close Tuesday on public ground. Hoping I can find one on my little 40 acre private piece this week, or it’s tag soup for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Today is the last day so no soup for you.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

No gobbles this AM
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Today is the last day so no soup for you.
    Goes through 5/10 on private
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Killed one opening day in the desolate pine and sweetgum barrens of the Sumter NF. After I got out of time out I went back one evening to find a bird for someone else to kill on same pine and sweetgum barrens of the Sumter NF. Bird was killed before 0730. Ain’t been back. Shit’s too easy.

Liar. They burned up all the wildlife there 20 years ago. I read it right on here...

I’ll chase them until it goes out. I’ve used my tags but my neighbor and son haven’t. And I still have one NC tag though lacking places to try to use it that I’ve got confidence in

No gobbles today for me. I hunted in Kershaw County where it goes out tomorrow. Then hit a tract in Lancaster County for a big loop and nothing responded there either. Still have all my tags….been seeing lots of deers…
    Bone....

Bone, I haven’t killed one either. Horrible season for me. I was covered up in March and now they have basically disappeared. I’m sure I’ll talk to you soon. Have a good one.
    Gene

I killed one this afternoon in SNF. What a hard season it was, felt so good to close out the last day with a win.

Lots of close calls, lots of frustration. This is not an easy place to kill WMA turkeys, that's for sure. Makes it that much sweeter when it works out.

Liar. They burned up all the wildlife there 20 years ago. I read it right on here...
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yep.
    y'all have Francis NF and Sumter NF confused.... on one USFS uses a scorched earth policy and the other is mostly ignored. you really wouldn't expect good efficiency and common sense from a gov agency though.. would you?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    y'all have Francis NF and Sumter NF confused.... on one USFS uses a scorched earth policy and the other is mostly ignored. you really wouldn't expect good efficiency and common sense from a gov agency though.. would you?
    I highly doubt that Tater is confused about those 2 tracts of land...

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    I’ll chase them until it goes out. I’ve used my tags but my neighbor and son haven’t. And I still have one NC tag though lacking places to try to use it that I’ve got confidence in
    Same here, my usual public places in NC have been hunted to death by now. I'll try it a couple more times this week.

You are misinformed. SNF burns more than FMNF.

I have not turkey hunted this year. I did hear one bird gobble about 9:15 yesterday morning down near the creek when we were putting up the electric fence around our dove field. That is the only gobble I have heard all spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Same here, my usual public places in NC have been hunted to death by now. I'll try it a couple more times this week.
    Dude if I’m competing with you for the last turkey in North Carolina I might as well sleep in!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    That's ok, most of the pressure goes away by now. Where I killed mine yesterday was full of trucks opening Saturday, despite the rain.

I enjoy it more this time of year, more cover grown up to conceal us. If WMA season lasted until May 10th with private land (like it should) then I'd enjoy the last 2 weeks far more than the first 2 weeks.