Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boater Safety Bill

Default Boater Safety Bill

The bill requires boaters to pass a 3 hour online course for a fee or an in-person 6 hour free course to drive a boat on public waters.

I tried to pass an exemption for boaters who are going to or from hunting or fishing or while hunting or fishing under the premise that we are not the problem.

The amendment narrowly failed.

I can put up a similar amendment and try again on Tuesday if you are willing to motivate a few representatives to change their position.

Are you willing to help?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Why is online 3 and in person 6? Seems like you could accomplish more in person in less time? At least for the average person?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

And I disagree with exempting the hunters and fishermen. What's good for one is good for all. I have almost as much of an issue with the fisherman parking in the middle of the channel markers as the idiot who cant drive their boat.

You wouldnt stop in the middle of I95 and start deer hunting, so why is it ok to stop in the main channel markers and go fish?

Part of my libertarian streak is coming out, and I'm not sure if I'm in on this. This sounds like more .gov intrusion, and one more reason to get hassled on the water. So now instead of "life jacket" checks we will be submitted to stopping to show our .gov issued boating license???
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I say let everyone after a certain year get it. Dad made me get my boaters license years ago if I wanted to take the Jon boat out alone. It’s not gonna hurt anyone and folks with no experience could use a base understanding of markers, right if way, etc. Too many idiots with too big/fast boats these days.
    More Ducks, Less People

Some questions as I did not see a link posted for the bill:
    What is the definition of boater? Operating a powered watercraft? Would a non resident(or resident) be required to complete the course before renting a boat or pwc? Do kayaks with electric motors fall under this bill?
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

I’ve driven upwards of a million miles over 50 years, and boated about 1/2 as long, with one vehicle accident and one ticket. I’ll be damned if I’m going to get another fuckin’ government license while corrupt politicians are picking our pockets daily.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I have almost as much of an issue with the fisherman parking in the middle of the channel markers as the idiot who cant drive their boat.

You wouldnt stop in the middle of I95 and start deer hunting, so why is it ok to stop in the main channel markers and go fish?

Part of my libertarian streak is coming out,
    do you see the irony?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The bill requires boaters to pass a 3 hour online course for a fee or an in-person 6 hour free course to drive a boat on public waters.

I tried to pass an exemption for boaters who are going to or from hunting or fishing or while hunting or fishing under the premise that we are not the problem.

The amendment narrowly failed.

I can put up a similar amendment and try again on Tuesday if you are willing to motivate a few representatives to change their position.

Are you willing to help?
    Effectively and efficiently enforce the laws currently on the books. We do not need any more regulation. Apply this train of thought across all sectors that the government is involved with.
    cut\'em

More government regulation....shocking. I'm with Woodie and Southern Duck.

Let's get rid of red tape not add more...

How do we kill this bill all together. I don’t need the government to teach my kids how to operate a boat.

What are the statistics for the source of accidents and fatalities while boating? How often is alcohol involved? I understand the reasoning behind this law and who and why they are pushing for it but you can't legislate stupidity out of folks.

Do drivers license requirements and tougher DUI laws curb drunk driving related accidents and death? I'm asking, I don't know the stats.

Why exempt hunters and fishermen? I know duck hunters who brag about getting drunk the night before and still making it to the launch at 3 or 4 a.m. .......we all know good and well they're still drunk. How can a boaters license prevent that?
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 04-28-2023 at 07:31 AM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Enforcement of current laws would be the priority, but I do see where this is coming from. I'll stop short in saying people are idiots. I presume most don't know the rules of boating. We require hunter ed. Boater ed may not be a bad thing, but I agree with others on new laws... Can I officially be "on the fence" here?

I'll also add for those with Instagram or Facebook... just watch the qualified captain, wavy boats or a variety of other boating pages and you'll realize how stupid people are around us on the waters.

Hell NO I won't support it............You want to take more of my freedoms away and charge me $$$ for the priviledges???? ARE you a communist?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I'll also add for those with Instagram or Facebook... just watch the qualified captain, wavy boats or a variety of other boating pages and you'll realize how stupid people are around us on the waters.
    This won’t change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    Hell NO I won't support it............You want to take more of my freedoms away and charge me $$$ for the priviledges???? ARE you a communist?
    The most ridiculous part is they want to charge a fee to take the class online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This won’t change a thing.
    Didn't say it would change anything. Just make people aware of those they share the water with. It's amazing the stupidity of folks around us.

Stupidity can't be legislated. If it could, the world would a much better place. Boater safety courses are available to anyone who wants to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The most ridiculous part is they want to charge a fee to take the class online.
    Call it a fee but it is really bribe in the form of a tax.
    DILLIGAF