Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunflowers 2023

I got my corn down three weeks ago and I've had less than .25" since it went in the ground. I sprayed Brawl (Dual Magnum clone) as a pre-emergent and needed the rain to incorporate it within 14 days. I had the same thing happen last year and the weeds covered me up. I might go a little heavy with the post-emerge Round-up. I may also try cultivating after I dribble liquid nitrogen.

I think for the sunflowers, I'm going to spray the Brawl, incorporate it with the Perfecta, then plant then spray Spartan Charge. I'll come back later with liquid nitrogen and Cadre.

Flowers & kern planted monday pm. Sprayed dual mag and spartan charge tues am on flowers and just dual mag on kern. Had about 0.3" since spraying, more to come in the next few days. Will go over the top of flowers with cadre & prowl in several weeks. Glyphosate and atrazine will go over the top of corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

Hey Rebel Yell

Another couple weeks or so before we plant flowers, corn and sweet corn are in the ground

Planting Saturday. No tilling into wheat and will roll the wheat afterwards for weed control. Interested to see how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your tried and true for keeping sunflowers clean? Pre and post-emergent rates and timing. And be specific....I hate comprehending vague labels.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    What is your tried and true for keeping sunflowers clean? Pre and post-emergent rates and timing. And be specific....I hate comprehending vague labels.
    I put down 5oz/Acre of Zidua and 1qt/Acre of Prowl H2O pre-emergent. I’m hoping that will keep anything from growing till I can either run the hooded sprayer through the flowers with gramoxone or a row cultivator, or a combination of the two. It’s worked in the passed so I see no reason it won’t work this year. Once the flowers get to a certain size it’s difficult get good coverage of stuff in the rows but the hope is that the shade from the flowers will shade out any weeds.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I planted 5 acres of clear field sunflowers and 6 rows on the perimeter of milo on Monday of last week(9 days ago) in south Spartanburg county near Cross Anchor
    Sprayed it right after planting and we got 5.5 inches of rain on Wednesday and Thursday. Not good because it washed out some areas. I went down today and didn’t see any sprouts in the entire field.
    Too cold? It hasn’t been exactly hot until today. 43 this morning.
    Crusted over?
    Washed away?
    Wait for next weeks 85 degrees and hopefully see something?
    More rain coming the next 2 days.

Same boat here. Will know with soil temp warming up next week. Hopefully good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
    Planting Saturday. No tilling into wheat and will roll the wheat afterwards for weed control. Interested to see how it works out.

So not share dove secrets on the internet any more. Pm me only please.

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    I planted 5 acres of clear field sunflowers and 6 rows on the perimeter of milo on Monday of last week(9 days ago) in south Spartanburg county near Cross Anchor
    Sprayed it right after planting and we got 5.5 inches of rain on Wednesday and Thursday. Not good because it washed out some areas. I went down today and didn’t see any sprouts in the entire field.
    Too cold? It hasn’t been exactly hot until today. 43 this morning.
    Crusted over?
    Washed away?
    Wait for next weeks 85 degrees and hopefully see something?
    More rain coming the next 2 days.
    PRCN clear your mailbox. Trying to send you a pm.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    So not share dove secrets on the internet any more. Pm me only please.
    Is your email down?

I had a long spell of hot dry weather last year right after planting sunflowers. After three weeks of no sprouts, I decided it must have cooked the seeds so I replanted. When I finally got some rain, everthing came up. I had the most tangled and twisted rows you can imagine. I just had to run over plants to spray post emergents.

My corn may have done the same this year. Almost no rain for four weeks after planting. Some sprouting but it looked like the planter was skipping big sections. It seemed unlikely that the planter would skip at the same spot even when traveling in the opposite direction so I am doubting the planter was the issue. Nonetheless I replanted the skipped sections. We'll see if I have double rows in the corn.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I had a long spell of hot dry weather last year right after planting sunflowers. After three weeks of no sprouts, I decided it must have cooked the seeds so I replanted. When I finally got some rain, everthing came up. I had the most tangled and twisted rows you can imagine. I just had to run over plants to spray post emergents.

My corn may have done the same this year. Almost no rain for four weeks after planting. Some sprouting but it looked like the planter was skipping big sections. It seemed unlikely that the planter would skip at the same spot even when traveling in the opposite direction so I am doubting the planter was the issue. Nonetheless I replanted the skipped sections. We'll see if I have double rows in the corn.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I have a field that if it gets too much rain right after planting the dirt will harden up like cement and the plants won’t come through.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Got mine in the ground on 5/5. Everything was going entirely too smooth until it got time for pre-emergent. Mixed a tank of Spartan Charge and Dual Magnum and headed to spray. About halfway to the field I realize the tank cracked in transit and I lost about half of my mixture. I hauled ass and sprayed as quick as I could to try to salvage the mix. I was able to cover the field entirely but at twice the ground speed so so not sure how it's going to work out. We got an inch of rain on 5/7 so we'll see. I plan on spraying Impose on 5/26 so hopefully it'll clear up anything the pre-emergent was too weak to kill.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Planted 12 acres of corn and sunflowers on 4/6. All of it came up
    20230504_075814-01.jpg
    20230504_080645-02.jpg
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 05-08-2023 at 08:13 PM.

30 acres of sunflowers. All sprouted. Anderson county.

more pre emergents going down this morning, the spray before our supposed rain on Saturday was probably gone.. Hopefully we'll get something today, I mean it's like a 45% chance. everything besides millet is planted, wheat looks cool.

I planted my sunflowers 4/28. Sprayed pre-emergent cocktail and put up deer fence on 4/29. Flowers broke ground on 5/7.

I just finished planting sunflowers yesterday ahead of this rain. 27 acres of sunflowers. 5 acres of corn. Did not plant the first seed until May 12. I was busy doing other things.

Getting closer. Plenty of rain lately

IMG_5669.jpg