Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Grow Hot Peppers? Seriously Hot Peppers?

Default Anyone Else Grow Hot Peppers? Seriously Hot Peppers?

I have been doing exotic hot peppers for 10-12 years now and bringing in three or four bushes each year to overwinter. My Carolina Reaper bush was about six years old and the trunk about the size of a disposable water bottle. I would cut them back to about 30" tall and only about four 12" or less stems each year before bringing them inside. For whatever reason, all three died (Reaper plus Peach Scorpion and Chocolate Ghost). So I have started over this year which means the really hot stuff will not come until about August and I am stuck with nursery varieties since I did not do seeds this year.

Anyone else grow and/or enjoy these devils? I have planted about a dozen plants this year simply because my season will be shorter without old plants. Should be plenty if anyone wants some later in the season. Before anyone asks, I will only eat up to the ghosts or scorpions, and the reapers are only for cooking, sauces, and making into shaker spices/rubs. Thanks, MG

PS this year Habeneros (both red and orange), bhut jolokia ghost, Carolina Reapers, and of course a few jalapenos to satisfy the common man.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Growing super hot peppers is on level with CrossFit and super fucking expensive turkey vests.

People mainly do it so they can tell others they are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Growing super hot peppers is on level with CrossFit and super fucking expensive turkey vests.

Does that mean I need to get one of those tires? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

Sounds more like growing fancy weed.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I try a few every year. I use a little fish emulsion on them but nothing more for heat. Not world class hot but still way hotter than most.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Shit....I like growing them and eating them. They are great for sauces, rubs, seasonings, etc. I'm with you MG!
    "run and gun guide service"

I ate one a few weeks ago that came from somewhere in Williamsburg County. It sent me straight into a full blown panic attack. I love hot stuff but this one was stupid-

I don't know, but I'm tired of these chilly mornings, they're just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Nonsense! It’s the best of both worlds. Nice cool mornings and warm afternoons, I couldn’t be happier.

Why in the world would anyone be so eager to sweat first thing when they walk out the door every morning? No thanks. This weather can stay as long as it wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

X2.

Swamp ass season is coming.

Ghost, habenero, and jalapenos this year. Looking for reaper but can't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I am on team HS. Summer can't get here fast enough...

I’ve just got a couple jalapeños plants. Have grown habaneros a couple times but we never used them. About the only thing we use the jalapeños for is guacamole and margaritas. I like spicy stuff but never been into making sauces. I need to expand my cooking some I guess. If I would use them I’d certainly grow them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I'm not a yankee, heat doesn't bother me.. cool mornings slow down growth of things I enjoy.

Pickled jalapenos are awesome. Mountain boys mastered it forever ago. I must have eaten 10,000 jalapeno pickle/bologna sammiches back in the day. When paired with fresh sourdough bread? Sheeeeeeeeeit that was good vittles...

I never though about trying to over wintering pepper plants but might try it this year. Habaneros. Carolina Reapers, Serrano, Cayenne, Jalapenos are the norm for me. The best variety of plants I've found is at Piedmont Farm Supply in Spartanburg.... pricey but they have more varieties of hot peppers than any place I've ever seen. On a side note anybody ever done the hot chip challenge thin? That son of a gun is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    On a side note anybody ever done the hot chip challenge thin? That son of a gun is hot!
    Far and away the hottest thing I’ve ever tried without a close second. Glad I can say I tried it but never again.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Trying Charleston, habanero sweet yellow, peach habanero, carolina reaper, bhut jolokia, yellow reaper, yellow bhut jolokia, and small yellow cherry this year. Glad to share seeds if I can get these going.

I’ve got 7 shishito pepper plants in the ground now, but they aren’t hot. I just wanted to be a part of this thread
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Nonsense! It’s the best of both worlds. Nice cool mornings and warm afternoons, I couldn’t be happier.

Why in the world would anyone be so eager to sweat first thing when they walk out the door every morning? No thanks. This weather can stay as long as it wants.

Couldn’t agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.