Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beekeeping

WoodieSC paid me $$$ to deliver them to 2ths office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Bag-O-Bees

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Documentary one Netflix called "Pollinators" is pretty insightful as to why it's such an uphill battle.
    Wow!! Watched this today!!
    I had no idea the bee industry operated like this. I knew pollination was needed, just didn’t realize it was at this level.
    Tons of info and a great watch! Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    WoodieSC paid me $$$ to deliver them to 2ths office.

that would be funny if it were even remotely true. that joker aint paying money for nothing....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Default Beekeeping

He asked if I would take IOUs or possible trade for the Tika rifle he has been trying to sell in trading post for 5+ years.

But it all depended on if he could find a 1993 4Runner with less than 400,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 04-27-2023 at 06:43 AM.

Honey bees are an invasive species.

I knew that is where you were going with your fogger idea.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Documentary one Netflix called "Pollinators" is pretty insightful as to why it's such an uphill battle.
    I'm not sure what the Netflix documentary is, but pollination is big industry for bee keepers. There are 15-20 commercial beekeepers with thousands of hives each that overwinter their bees in the Manning/Summerton areas. They send them to California in January to pollinate almonds. After that, they go back to the northeast (home base) for berry pollination and honey production. When it starts to get cold, they bring them back down here.

They are some weird mofos. Imagine beekeepers (weird folks to start with) but they're nomadic yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I knew that is where you were going with your fogger idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I'm not sure what the Netflix documentary is, but pollination is big industry for bee keepers. There are 15-20 commercial beekeepers with thousands of hives each that overwinter their bees in the Manning/Summerton areas. They send them to California in January to pollinate almonds. After that, they go back to the northeast (home base) for berry pollination and honey production. When it starts to get cold, they bring them back down here.

They are some weird mofos. Imagine beekeepers (weird folks to start with) but they're nomadic yankees.
    That’s basically what the video was about.
    They did dive into how the pesticides we use today are killing the bees, and us. The bees faster, us slower.

i have 3 hives and have no interest to go bigger!
    IF IT FLIES-IT DIES

Quote Originally Posted by HARDCOREFOWLER View Post
    i have 3 hives and have no interest to go bigger!
    Im in the same boat, problem is they swarm, and when they do they take over half the work force and the queen with them. They make a new queen but now they are several weeks behind and that can be detrimental to an already tight nectar flow. This is my first year keeping bees, and from what I gather if you want to try and prevent them from swarming you have to stay on top of them. Getting into the hives every 5-7 days during swarm season. I started with one nuc that I bought, a month later I'm up to 3 colonies, one was purchased, the other two caught from other swarms. I suppose next spring I may have to make splits in order to reduce the urge to swarm, then maybe I can sale a split or two.

I don’t know what’s radder, offshore lingo or bee keeper lingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Im in the same boat, problem is they swarm, and when they do they take over half the work force and the queen with them. They make a new queen but now they are several weeks behind and that can be detrimental to an already tight nectar flow. This is my first year keeping bees, and from what I gather if you want to try and prevent them from swarming you have to stay on top of them. Getting into the hives every 5-7 days during swarm season. I started with one nuc that I bought, a month later I'm up to 3 colonies, one was purchased, the other two caught from other swarms. I suppose next spring I may have to make splits in order to reduce the urge to swarm, then maybe I can sale a split or two.
    That's awesome. My first year as well. Started with 2 nucs and just caught a swarm someone posted locally on fb. I discovered one of the two I bought was queenless so added the new swarm to the queen-less colony. So far so good. I'm putting out some swarm traps this week and monitoring fb to hopefully get a few more this season.

Side note, I went to a permaculture class weekend before last and guy there introduced me to natural
    Beekeeping with horizontal Layens hives. Apparently significantly less work and much higher survival rate. More closely mimics their natural habitat.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Just went into my three hives. Discovered charged swarm cells in on of them, with a big ole Queen cell on one of the frames. Looks like they either swarmed or are going to. Put my trap out and hope if they do swarm they will go to my trap. I have supered all three of my colonies and they are storing and are starting to cap the frames. I was hoping I could prevent them from swarming since this is the first spring, guess not.

Nice!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Yours or someone else’s swarm? Either way good catch.

Default Beekeeping

I caught them on my place but not a catch of my bees. This trap has been out 3 days had scout activity yesterday and they moved in today.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 05-09-2023 at 07:11 PM.

Default Beekeeping

I caught another swarm on my place today. That makes the 4th swarm in 10 days. I am keeping 2 of them and a buddy took 2 of them.

Everlast - are your hives setup in full sun?

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 05-11-2023 at 07:30 PM.