Thread: Santee cooper WMA Cat 1 or 2

Default Santee cooper WMA Cat 1 or 2

Anyone know if santee cooper WMA down at the bottom of lake Marion is Cat 1 or 2?

https://www.eregulations.com/southca...ma-regulations

I looked at the regs online, and in reg 10.7 it says impoundments are closed to public access. However, in 10.12 santee cooper WMA is listed as a cat 2.

I was gonna do some off season scouting down there but don’t want to waste me time boating around if it’s a draw hunt location

Santee Cooper WMA is located in southeastern Orangeburg County near the town of Eutaw Springs and encompasses approximately 3,000 acres on the south shore of Lake Marion. It includes several islands adjacent to the mainland part of the WMA, including Sixteen Island. A portion of Santee Cooper WMA (west of Ferguson Landing Way) is designated as a Category II Waterfowl Area and has entry restrictions during waterfowl season. The WMA is mostly forested, but there are several scattered wildlife openings that are left fallow or planted to cool or warm-season plantings for the benefit of various wildlife species.

That's from the website. Santee Cooper isn't in the cat 1 draw anymore, but I had some good draw hunts there back in the 3 duck limit, 15 shells allowed days. Not sure why they quit managing it for draw hunt opportunities.

Thanks

The impoundments haven’t been flooded since 1996-7.
    All water control structures are dilapidated.

Cuddo Unit ain’t got shit on some of the gators in there.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

So you're saying leave the dog at home then....

Clearly.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You’ll probably see about as many ducks now as you will this winter
    80-20 Genaration