Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Vehicle You’d Trust…

I wouldnt discount the 1st/2nd gen Tahoe/Yukon lineup either....can be just as reliable as Toyotas with better fuel economy.

20230419_070636.jpg

Yeah, I'm not touting Toyotas gas mileage.. just the reliability. I did by my wife a lexus gx a couple years back, I believe that thing gets better mileage. One has right at 300k, one 200k , and my truck has right over 50k at five years old.. I'll drive it for years to come, but I don't look at the pump with as little I drive.

The older one I just replaced the started, new brakes, but it's made it through two teenagers high school careers, my boy will be driving it until he buys his own. The newer one I just bought for my youngest, I'd drive it.. and wouldn't think about it, one woman owner, highway miles before her. I had to replace a gas cap t clear a couple lights.

you're such a cheap bastard, you're gonna just keep posting "looking for a truck" until you die. so, what's the point?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Lol @ 2th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read an interesting article about vehicle milage as a predictor of longevity/reliability. It said that heat cycles wear on a drivetrain as much if not more than the actual miles driven. Granted you can't really track that.

I have owned a few 4.0 Toyotas. I’d buy one with 200k if it was the right vehicle. My only suggestion, even though I do LOVE an SUV, would be get a Tacoma and put a camper shell on it. The 4Runners have a lot of extra electronics that I just don’t want to fool with. My little Tacoma is bare bones and I love it. I was able to get a newer lower mileage truck because I was patient and didn’t go TRD or Limited.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    My 2006 Silverado just turned 513k.

Like Chessbay said, I have a folder full of receipts. I think the only thing original is the sheet metal.

You might know a good mechanic...

My 2007 chev 1500 just turned 402,000. Jasper transmission at 264,000, fuel pump, and other pm stuff is all that's been done to it. It's been used like a work truck. It's been a good one.

I have an outlier. 2005 F150 5.4L 3valve . I've been told for at least the last 10 years that its the worst motor ever produced, its gonna blow up, blah blah blah. She sits at 225K and is all original. I've rebuilt the front end, put some seals in the rear end, and oil changes at 5k and trans service every 100k. Only had one plug break off when I changed them the first time at 100k. Its all about how the vehicle was taken care of, not necessarily the milage. I would drive it anywhere tomorrow, and tow long distance with it regularly.
    Last edited by Fireman; 04-19-2023 at 12:01 PM.

I picked up a 2004 Toyota Sequoia from a family member with 265,000 miles on it. Dealer would only give her $2k and that's all she'd take for it so I bought it. Just rolled 300,000 and I wouldn't hesitate to make a trip with it. Yes the gas mileage sucks and it's even worse towing but she's reliable!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you're such a cheap bastard, you're gonna just keep posting "looking for a truck" until you die. so, what's the point?
    My point, along with eventually finding a decent SUV, is to aggravate you until you soak your sorrows in raw fluoride. So pucker up, Buttercup... ya' fat, grumpy, worthless fucker.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

It sounds like we're all pretty much in agreement that the 4Runners, Land Cruisers, Sequoias, and a number of the trucks that are common will likely go 300K-400K, IF they are taken care of.

The problem I keep seeing, with few exceptions, is that very few people keep up with the maintenance, and, if you're lucky, many of those records will show on Carfax reports. However, many garages, other than dealers, never report their work, so it's hit or miss in that regard. I know the Carfax on my LC doesn't show most of the work I kept up with because I told the dealers to kiss off back in about 2007 after a Service Mgr allowed his mechanic to be a smart ass with me when I raised a question about some work that was being done... improperly, I might add. After that point I had all work done by trusted mechanics, or myself, so only my personal file is complete.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about a 4Runner, for example, going to 250K-300K with normal maintenance, provided I find one UNDER about 200K that has some proof of good maintenance. And, yes, contrary to SCD's resident asshole, I am willing to pay extra for one that's been kept well, and that has records to show it.

The NEW challenge, after a lengthy conversation today with an auto repair business owner here in town whom I've come to trust, is that my wife's 1993 Toyota Camry LE Wagon (V6) is not worth repairing (which I've expected) as he found some hidden issues that call for a complete engine rebuild, along with (probably) a new transmission, since it turns out there's an internal leak of trans fluid to the differential that none of us saw evidence of until he pulled the fill plug out and fluid poured out that shouldn't have.

So... now I'm really in the vehicle buying mode as my wife is going to be tougher to satisfy than I've been since she didn't want to give up her Camry wagon, no matter what... damn.

So much for making headway on the Spring outdoor maintenance list...
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-19-2023 at 04:42 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    You might know a good mechanic...
    If I did I’d hire him.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Haha

Maybe he needs a broker.
    Last edited by ADP; 04-19-2023 at 06:49 PM.

It’s almost like we could put a search function on this forum before you can post.

Who gets on a forum and ask about what vehicle to buy when it’s been discussed 1000 times?

Buy what you want. It’s your money.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I still say Lexus gx 460 or 470

NVM, bad math.
    Last edited by Kioti; 04-19-2023 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    It’s almost like we could put a search function on this forum before you can post.

Who gets on a forum and ask about what vehicle to buy when it’s been discussed 1000 times?

Buy what you want. It’s your money.
    Dang, KRT, you’re too intelligent to post what you just did. Maybe you’re hanging around with 2th too much.

The search function is great, but none of the threads found answer the questions I’ve posed. Besides, most of them also involve trucks, be they Chevy or Fords, and I don’t want any of the like. I assume that’s OK with you, right? Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

I got this salvage title Acura for sale now, $10k, 150k miles. Only replaced the two passenger side doors, no airbags. We've been driving since about 30k miles.

IMG_20230420_070935340.jpg

Edit - does not come with the dog
    Last edited by BET; 04-20-2023 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I got this salvage title Acura for sale now, $10k, 150k miles. Only replaced the two passenger side doors, no airbags. We've been driving since about 30k miles.

IMG_20230420_070935340.jpg

Edit - does not come with the dog
    Don't know why, but the dog made me smile. He has the IDGAF face.