Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Vehicle You’d Trust…

Default Highest Mileage Vehicle You’d Trust…

I’m still looking for a 2010-2014 4Runner, preferably 4WD, but not critical. Staying away from Northern salt road trucks, and multiple accident vehicles, etc.

Been having a tough time finding one without going 100+ miles, higher than 180K on mileage, or paying a few extra grand in dealer greed premiums.

What is the highest mileage 4Runner you’d be comfortable buying with the intention of keeping it for 10+ years, assuming everything else is in decent shape?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Apollo 12 3rd stage rocket.

150-200k

get a land cruiser
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    get a land cruiser
    Had one for 23 years now. Love it, but it’s being totaled by the insurance company, and looking forward tells me I should get something that gets better than 13.5-14 mpg.

That puts me with the 4Runner, with a distant backup of a 2012-2015 Honda Pilot 4WD.

Neither are LC quality, but it is what it is.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    150-200k
    That the range I’ve been shooting for. Unfortunately, the last three I’ve found that fit most of my criteria were between 221K and 238K or so. They may be fine, but I think it’s stretching it.
    ~ George Washington

I have a friend that has one with a 4.7 with like 550k.

I'd say 200 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Default Highest Mileage Vehicle You’d Trust…

IMO if you want one bad enough I would figure out how to pay the extra bit for a better maintained better condition 4runner. I believe in paying a bit more upfront rather than dealing with constant repairs when it comes to used vehicles. This has also taught me patience. Ten more years makes that a 20 yr old vehicle, age would have just as much effect as mileage.
    Last edited by Gone South; 04-18-2023 at 07:47 PM.

My first car was a 97 4 runner with 201k miles on it. It came wrecked into my old man’s shop in 05. College kid ran off the road and hit a stump. Ripped the right front wheel off sheering the control arms and bent the front bumper under on that side. It needed somewhere around $3k in front end work plus a bumper. Kids mom didn’t want to fix it and told my dad she was gonna have it towed to the junk yard. He said I’ll give you what they will give you. She said ok $500. I helped the old man fix the front end and cleaned it up good. Bent the bumper back out with a come along. I think he had about $1800 in it. I drove it for 4 years and then my sister drove it for 4. My dad sold it to a guy he worked with for $2k with a little over 300k miles on it. He is still driving it today with over 400k miles on the original motor and tranny. Moral of the story is don’t be afraid of the miles on a Toyota. The motor will long outlast the paint if you take care of it.

It's a Toyota. They are just broken in at 250K. I've had 3 Tundra's. 1st one I traded in with 309K on it. I'd have gotten in that truck and pulled a trailer to California and back and not thought twice about it. The 2nd one had 296K on it and traded it just because dealership had one I wanted with only 18K on it. I drive 50-60K per year. Don't fear 200K to 250K with the 5.7.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    It's a Toyota. They are just broken in at 250K. I've had 3 Tundra's. 1st one I traded in with 309K on it. I'd have gotten in that truck and pulled a trailer to California and back and not thought twice about it. The 2nd one had 296K on it and traded it just because dealership had one I wanted with only 18K on it. I drive 50-60K per year. Don't fear 200K to 250K with the 5.7.
    A 250k mile Toyota that’s accumulated those miles in 5 years (according to your mileage), is not the same thing as buying a 2010 with equivalent mileage.

The whole, “it’s just broke in at 250k” statement always cracks me up. The motor may last another 100k, but it leaks oil and everything else on the truck is worn the fuck out.

I’d trust a truck that has a folder full of receipts for all the other shit that’s busted or worn out as opposed to buying one based on mileage alone.

Chessy makes a good point. It should be understood these vehicles are to be maintained, like anything else.

A solid 4Runner that has been maintained and has receipts to prove it is what I would be looking for. Not so much just a number in the odometer.
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Shit. My Tacoma is at 260k and the only complaints I have are rotors. I wouldn’t hesitate on 150-175k miles. It’s a Toyota.
    Carolina Counsel

My 2006 Silverado just turned 513k.

Like Chessbay said, I have a folder full of receipts. I think the only thing original is the sheet metal.
    More fuel = more boost!!

My 05 Chevy Avalanche with 188,789 miles on original motor and transmission. Not afraid to drive it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Chessy makes a good point. It should be understood these vehicles are to be maintained, like anything else.

A solid 4Runner that has been maintained and has receipts to prove it is what I would be looking for. Not so much just a number in the odometer.
    We're all in agreement on these points. I use the mileage number as a general clearing point, and then it depends on what the Carfax says, and the maintenance records show... if there are any.

I found one a few weeks ago that looked like it lined up well, but once I got into the maintenance records I see two front end accidents, two sets of tires in 40K miles, and 2-3 alignments. That told me to suspect a frame problem that hadn't been fixed right. I've dealt with that crap before so I walked away from it.

I'm looking at one tomorrow that's got 221K on it, but it depends on whether the dealer will show me a Carfax or try to make me buy my own. We'll see...

Chessbay, your comment about the 250K being 'worn the fuck out' hits me as I just took my wife's 1993 Camry wagon V6 LE Wagon into the shop today for what may be a major bit of engine repair. I've tried to convince my wife that a 30 year old vehicle, even with only 244K on it, is getting long in the tooth, but it's still cheaper than a good used one. So... we'll see what they find this week. Hopefully she'll be happy for another year or three and I'll find one soon.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 04-19-2023 at 04:10 PM.
    ~ George Washington

My ‘99 LC is at 270K, I’d drive it across the country if I needed to but it’s been maintained and gone over. My ‘13 is at 155K, radiator and a new AC. Had a 2000 F350 with 270K on it, probably still on the road.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

A 250k mile Toyota that’s accumulated those miles in 5 years (according to your mileage), is not the same thing as buying a 2010 with equivalent mileage.

The whole, “it’s just broke in at 250k” statement always cracks me up. The motor may last another 100k, but it leaks oil and everything else on the truck is worn the fuck out.

I’d trust a truck that has a folder full of receipts for all the other shit that’s busted or worn out as opposed to buying one based on mileage alone.
    My almost 250k tundra doesn’t leak a drop of anything. And burns less oil than my less than 100k 5.3l gmc I had.

Edit: and I’d trust it to make a cross country trip if I left tomorrow.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 04-18-2023 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

My dads old 2001 f350 with the 7.3 has 400k plus on it. I would be willing to be 300k of it was pulling dump trailers. It’s had one transmission but maybe 5 starters. My buddy owns it now and still pulls his job trailer with it
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have a Land Cruiser that I bought new in 07. It' got about 360k on it. Replaced a lot of little stuff. Still looks good and drives great. Got it stuck twice in the last month going in places I shouldn't... I'd get in and drive across
    the country tomorrow. Get's 16-17mpg with a K/N filter and ethanol fuel. Been thinking about a new one for the last 10 years, but hate thinking about the yearly $3k tax penalty on being able to afford a new ride by the govt. My tax bill last year was $39. I wish I had never sold the LC I had before it. Will not make that mistake with this one.
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 04-20-2023 at 04:05 AM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers