Thread: wet/damp soil deer food plot recomendations?

Default wet/damp soil deer food plot recomendations?

In Elloree SC. Have a section of a field that the farmer has given up on. To wet almost all the time to get even a small tractor in. The section of field in question has not been utilized for farming in years due moisture. We did spray it this year with an atv sprayer hoping to plant but, the rain last week has it mushy again.

We have started some Aeschynomene(deer vetch) plots in the area and the deer love them. I would like to top sow the plot with the deer vetch but, it is an expensive seed and hunting partner doesn't want to risk it.

Is there anything besides clover that I could top sow and go over with a roller behind an atv that would work in that environment?

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Tell your partner to suck it up. The vetch will enjoy that soil.

I always did alyce clover with vetch, because one would well when it was wet and the other was heat tolerant.

I have a spot I can only plant in the fall for the same reason it's just to wet in the spring.

you can top sow anything you choose if you time it right.
    vetch is stupid expensive but it works.

you could throw beans in there by hand and they would grow, most likely.
    dont make it too difficult. you throw some seed in there and let mother nature do her thing.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Depending on the size, I would do 1/2 vetch and 1/2 clover. Don't mix them,.....plant two separate stands.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-17-2023 at 07:04 AM.

I would really love to get Aeschynomene in there. About an acre and a half. The deer really hit the Aeschynomene and it held up very well to all the browsing.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    I would really love to get Aeschynomene in there. About an acre and a half. The deer really hit the Aeschynomene and it held up very well to all the browsing.
    This is why I would stick with it. Plant it once so you don’t have to go back in there. A good spreader will limits your path, and the deer traffic will be all that goes in there. I’ve seen it grow back in some pretty heavily browsed areas.

if you wanna plant vetch, id plant it yesterday
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.