Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The state of Sumter National Forest

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    That wma permit fee doesn’t buy a lot of habitat improvement.

I’ve seen assloads of turkeys live and die on pine and gum plantations. The lack of gobblers is something more than just habitat shortcomings.

Wonder how the wild quail populations are doing? Would think since they are also ground nesting birds since the WMA is managed so well they would also be doing well?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Contrary to popular belief neither SNF or FMNF were preserved for the purposes of hunting.
    Hunting is merely a benefit offered.

The main goal of these properties is to achieve forest restoration to levels pre civil war.

The deforestation that occurred post civil war devastated old growth habitat.

The Feds preserved them for nothing more than returning them back to their original state.

Wildlife management for the purposes of hunting was never in their direct focus.

Folks seem to forget that.

Now, we can argue that the Feds have no business owning lands, etc, but the fact is they do and “you” hunting them doesn’t amount to a hill of beans to them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Sell it all to private developers and build houses and Panera breads over all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I guess the squirrel population is decent.
    I’m trying to remedy that,

If my pups turn out like I’m hoping you’ll be complaining about a lack of squirrel population in a few years
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Hot fire and less trees will fix that, but as soon as they burn people start complaining about burning up nest and killing trees. The only reason a turkey needs a tree is to sleep in. Trees on federal land do not need hit our wood market and compete with private land owners, so get rid of them.

Probably the rainbow people crapping all over the place.

Charles gets it!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

The turkeys are thick on the SNF all winter long......you reckon they just vanish by the month of April.......

I haven't heard a turkey gobble yet this season in SC. I'm going fishing.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Virginia/NC has a good many birds though....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I haven't heard a turkey gobble yet this season in SC. I'm going fishing.
    I wish more people would go fishing. Until I’m fishing then there are too many people fishing.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Contrary to popular belief neither SNF or FMNF were preserved for the purposes of hunting.
    Hunting is merely a benefit offered.

The main goal of these properties is to achieve forest restoration to levels pre civil war.

The deforestation that occurred post civil war devastated old growth habitat.

The Feds preserved them for nothing more than returning them back to their original state.

Wildlife management for the purposes of hunting was never in their direct focus.

Folks seem to forget that.

Now, we can argue that the Feds have no business owning lands, etc, but the fact is they do and “you” hunting them doesn’t amount to a hill of beans to them.
    Yeah well they have sucked at that also.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Hot fire and less trees will fix that, but as soon as they burn people start complaining about burning up nest and killing trees. The only reason a turkey needs a tree is to sleep in. Trees on federal land do not need hit our wood market and compete with private land owners, so get rid of them.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Yeah well they have sucked at that also.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    How so?
    Are they preserved back to their or civil war state?

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    This. More sunlight and fire on the ground. More deer, more turkeys, more rabbits, more quail. Less squirrels - sorry DC.

SNF is managed by the USFS, not SCDNR.
    I know SCDNR is involved to some small degree but the problem is the lack of forest management which falls on the USFS.
    Generally speaking the feds are shitty foresters and the ones who can't cut it in the real world (that's my opinion FYI).
    And to whomever said they don't know if the problem can be fixed.....yes, yes it can and it could be done in under five years.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 04-11-2023 at 05:18 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I don't think the growing lease culture is good for the future of hunting. I can afford leases, I just choose not to because I think it's bad for our future and for other reasons.

Prices will continue to go up, available acreage will continue to decrease due to development, number of hunters to compete with to even get a spot on said lease, let alone hunt the spot you want, will increase.

We need something to fall back on and that something is vast acres of publicly accessible land. Also, some folks truly can't afford to join a lease and they should be able to find a good place to hunt instead of our overgrown barren wastelands of pine and sweetgum.

If we want our children and grandchildren, and beyond, to be able to have access to hunting then relying on leases is not the solution. The solution is finding a way to kick our DNR in the butt and get them to do their jobs.

And honestly if I have to pay $2000 to have good deer hunting for 3 months I'd honestly just rather buy a whole processed cow from a local farmer. More meat, less time invested, and I'd just go fishing more. Until it starts to also cost $2000 a year for a "lease" on a section of Lake Greenwood or on my tidal marsh spots.
    The govt shouldn't be responsible for your hunting pleasure.
    If you want to hunt, enjoy what you do have on public and not what you don't have or go lease something.
    There is no growing lease culture, that is something you came up with to justify not leasing land to hunt on I would suggest.
    There have been decades in SC where land is leased for hunting, this is not a new or growing phenomenon.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cali's correct.