Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riverbank Remediation

Default Riverbank Remediation

I sit on a high bluff. Non tidal. I lost a lot of trees in the river to Hurricane Matthew and my dirt has been steady falling in the river ever since.

It's currently a hazard.

I have pulled the edge off back (not pushed into the river) for a small grade but it's nowhere near where it needs to be to be safe, or keep from falling in.

Is there a broad existing permit I can use to remediate my riverbank? I'd like to move fast on it and save some money. Otherwise, I'm tempted to dump a load of bricks and concrete down and start pushing dirt on top of it at night until I have a grade instead of an inverted cliff.

I am about 30' high off the water.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

My opinion is that you ain't winning that battle. I saw SCE&G try it with all of their resources. Interlocking concrete and everything. She was cutting behind that shit in a month...

Rip rap what you can. It will slow it down but never stop it.

Not trying to be a smart ass but you don’t have enough money to fight that war.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I sit on a high bluff. Non tidal. I lost a lot of trees in the river to Hurricane Matthew and my dirt has been steady falling in the river ever since.

It's currently a hazard.

I have pulled the edge off back (not pushed into the river) for a small grade but it's nowhere near where it needs to be to be safe, or keep from falling in.

Is there a broad existing permit I can use to remediate my riverbank? I'd like to move fast on it and save some money. Otherwise, I'm tempted to dump a load of bricks and concrete down and start pushing dirt on top of it at night until I have a grade instead of an inverted cliff.

I am about 30' high off the water.
    Not sure if you know him or not but I would consult with Craig over at WNWR and see what he says…after that I would call as many private consultants as I could. As a very very last result I would ask the Army Corp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

The mighty Savannah River, I placed and interweave 12by12by 16ft long concrete pillars 250 yard on a curve, then rip/ rap the base with slabs of concrete. Hauled in Clay then rocked the road. It hasn’t moved an inch in 3 years.

I built a sea wall on a bluff like yours for my dad. It can be done.
    Last edited by Fish; 04-10-2023 at 05:38 PM.

We always used rip rap years ago on the LPD but Tim Smith has it figured out. I'd do what he did if I could.

Solid work right there TS...

You could stair step your bank being its only 30 ft to water. Pull all the fallen trees up and out the way. A 8-10 foot wide steps , then vegetate steps with trees, viney bushes native to area or lay black geo fabric and rip/ rap. Build a berm at top and divert water off fresh dirt till vegetation is established. FYI- rip/ rap is expensive, dirt is being hauled expensive,

Zoshia grass grows thick on a 45 degree slope all the way to the water.

I know a guy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Rock helps but rock done got expensive thanks to= well you know. Paid 970 delivered and dumped back in December for 21/tons. Hope you get it like you want it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I think there is a fabric you can lay before you put in the stone. It is supposed to let the water pass through but retain most of the soil instead of letting it wash out to the river. It doesn’t stop it but slows the wash down.

I’m on a long straightaway. Rain does more damage than the river does. Once I’m off the limestone shelf, it’s another 30’ drop to the bottom of the river. She runs deep and wide there.

Ive got a buddy working a track hoe up the road from me right now. He doesn’t have anything on his dance card after that jobs done so I could get it done cheaper than it would be otherwise.

I know Craig pretty well. I’ll reach out. Also talked to a few environmental engineers but it’s been a while and I’ve changed phones so those conversations have been lost. I think stepping would be ideal. Also riprap will never work because of the water depth there. Would like to get it done and make sure I’m not going to go to jail or fined into oblivion for fixing it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Just keep fighting. Careful who you call….
    Last edited by santee11; 04-10-2023 at 08:46 PM.

USACE regulates below OHW. You can conduct certain activities without federal permitting but the scope is limited. Permitting isn't limited to the feds. You also have to consider state and local. Look into natural channel design techniques and methods to work with nature, instead of against it. I was with you when you tried to sneak too many shells past BD. Feel free to touch base and I'll share what I know.

ACOE NWP 13 - Bank Stabilization no PCN required if < 500 LF of work & < 1 CY/ft fill.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    ACOE NWP 13 - Bank Stabilization no PCN required if < 500 LF of work & < 1 CY/ft fill.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. I’m not filling. I’m removing. So no involvement with ACOE. It would be DHEC and or Georgetown county, right?

Then I’d need somewhere to put all that dirt…so I’m renting a dump truck or two.

Prayers sent. Start with your local planning office before you are having to remediate your bank account too.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Only one word you need to remember in every conversation : Maintaining. Don’t use repairing, new construction, etc.

Are you using battery powered tools?