Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Offshore

Them Talicas are as advertised. Caught a 100# YFT on a 25 a few years back. Light, smooth and strong.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Hope y'all are catching them today. Ought to be a enough boats for someone to find them, but I bet there will be some weekend warrior dolphin fisherman (like me) with their lips poked out come 5:00.

Speaking of 100 pound yellowfin, one got brought in to Toller's Cove a few weeks ago. Only a few small ones that I've heard about otherwise this year. My dad says they would catch more yellowfin than dolphin in the late 90s.

Your Dad is correct
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I really miss those mixed bags from the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

5-6 dolphin
    3-4 yellowfin
    1-3 wahoo
    Made a hell of a nice box of fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was scattered weeds and ballyhoo sammich for us...

Slow for us.
    Could not get on the grouper with live bait.
    Our two hook man caught most of those in the back.
    We went deep and added a few after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started trolling and had a cuda, that was it. Had a sail swat a bait, black fins busting but never could get a bite. Went bottom fishing because we do that well.

25 B-Liners
    27 hubcap triggers
    14 Pinkies
    5 Strawberries
    10 Chocolate chip porgies
    18 BSB
    3 Squirrell fish
    2 yellow eye snapper
    1 sand tile
    5081 AJ’s, Almaco jacks
    721 sharks
    416 Cuda

2 stud cobia cruised by and wouldn’t eat

7 ARS
    2 Banded rudder fish
    2 stud rainbow runner.

A sure sign you should bottom fish is when you fill the live well with menhaden at the dock loading up.

Had a nice grouper that turned into a 14’ leviathan of a tiger shark. We steady killed fish once the trolling gear was put away.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 06-10-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My man.

760DA5D7-F04C-4B71-802D-0742C7819BC1.jpg caught some nice scamps.

Nice mix of groceries right there. We did okay yesterday:

IMG_20230611_234453.jpg
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

ALL of them b-liners were at least 3#. No crap.

Those some big b-liners for sure
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Saturday was tough, lines in at 5:30am and was marking more bait than I had ever seen while highspeeding trying to put a tournament winning hoo in the boat, lost one. After 3 hours we switched to meat. A bunch of short strikes, lost a hoo, missed a sail, and finally put a wahoo in the boat. It was enough to win but still made for a long day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Saturday was tough, lines in at 5:30am and was marking more bait than I had ever seen while highspeeding trying to put a tournament winning hoo in the boat, lost one. After 3 hours we switched to meat. A bunch of short strikes, lost a hoo, missed a sail, and finally put a wahoo in the boat. It was enough to win but still made for a long day.
    How was the afterparty? I almost drove down for it

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    How was the afterparty? I almost drove down for it
    Wasn't much, they had the party last Saturday and extended the fishing days to include Saturday due to weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Big Rock is over. Time to move on.

Saw this on IG.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWv9...RlODBiNWFlZA==
    Really awesome boat in a fantastic place to fish. Couple little things going on here. First, they’re backing up for a dolphin. Second, the deckhand (who is probably a really good deckhand) is one handing the line above the snap. Third, this ain’t “epic”. Bullshit like this makes everything cheap and ridiculous.

Now for something really cool.
    IMG_0140.jpg
    I found this picture the other day looking at the tournament entrants. This is the old Calcutta.

What’s the significance of the old Calcutta? Looks to be an older style Carolina boat built solidly - Who was the builder and did you fish this boat?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Get ready to get cursed out and/or ridiculed for your "ignorance".

Steve Gwaltney built that boat in the early/mid 80’s. Typical NC single engine charter boat. It was powered by a Detroit 1271 back then. Capt. Dew Forbes owned it, and he was as good as I’ve ever seen. I moved to Atlantic Beach in 1993 and I worked as his deckhand for a summer and fall. We fished every day. My hands were so sore the first couple weeks I could barely zip my britches. I went from a kid who fished occasionally to complete immersion over night. That boat was the coolest thing I had ever seen and I’ve still got some weird connection to it. It had a gigantic fish box and we filled it every day. That was my brief dive into the NC charter scene.

I thought Dew sold that boat to a guy in Daytona. Over the years I’ve tried to find it online and it showed up recently on IG and again at the Big Rock. If I could afford it, I would buy it.

Good memories there.

There is a local to Charleston Gwaltney boat I’ve ridden out on a few times. Pretty sure he was one of the first to try all composite boats in the mid 90s before it was proven.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson