Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cliff Pitts WMA?

Prayers for the families.

I had a duck decoy shot while I was hunting as a kid. It really scared me how quickly and unexpectedly such things can happen. Since then, I always consider where I'm at relative to my decoy(s). If possible I try to not put the decoys and myself in a natural line of fire by considering how someone may walk in or paddle around the bend in a creek.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

There aren't many details in here, but this is from DNR...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/south-...ident/43529529
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Terrible. A full strut decoy got shot in the grove when I was at Clemson. It is routine to see full strut or male decoys proudly displayed in hero shots on Facebook with the caption "WMA gobby down!"
    A older fella I regularly bird hunt with had the safety off on what he thought was a gobbling turkey about to crest a hill in Clemson WMA. The bird had been silent for about ten minutes and he was primed up for a quiet gobbler slip in. Heard crunching in the leaves behind the crest of the hill and got down on the gun and aimed at the noise.

Turns out it was two college kids from our time (that you most likely know as well) that had bumped the bird and were sneaking up the hill behind a full strut decoy to the calling (from my friend). They poked the decoy over the crest of the hill and both almost caught a load of #5s at 20yds.

Had my friend not been a seasoned hunter they most likely would have been dead. He is still shaken up to this day about that hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    A older fella I regularly bird hunt with had the safety off on what he thought was a gobbling turkey about to crest a hill in Clemson WMA. The bird had been silent for about ten minutes and he was primed up for a quiet gobbler slip in. Heard crunching in the leaves behind the crest of the hill and got down on the gun and aimed at the noise.

Turns out it was two college kids from our time (that you most likely know as well) that had bumped the bird and were sneaking up the hill behind a full strut decoy to the calling (from my friend). They poked the decoy over the crest of the hill and both almost caught a load of #5s at 20yds.

Had my friend not been a seasoned hunter they most likely would have been dead. He is still shaken up to this day about that hunt.
    Man that could have ended tragically.

A buddy of mine sent me a screenshot of texts with someone else, nobody is getting named. That person said SCDNR did confirm with him that the guy was fanning.

Could be total BS, I'm not fully confident in the source of that info. But if it's not, I sure hope SCDNR makes an announcement with that detail and hopefully saves someone else from making such a foolish decision.

It’s already illegal on WMA in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Even if it was, who cares?!

Fact are this; 1) A man is dead. 2) Another is dealing with having made that happen. 3) Basic laws of gun safety were violated by an individual and he/she will have to live with that forever.

We have lost the war because the enemy has succeeded in us losing our humanity and it is sad to see. Especially from self proclaimed Christian conservatives. Unreal.

This
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I’d think we’d have some type of update by now.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    It’s already illegal on WMA in SC.
    Fanning, you mean?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Even if it was, who cares?!

Fact are this; 1) A man is dead. 2) Another is dealing with having made that happen. 3) Basic laws of gun safety were violated by an individual and he/she will have to live with that forever.

We have lost the war because the enemy has succeeded in us losing our humanity and it is sad to see. Especially from self proclaimed Christian conservatives. Unreal.
    Thank you.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

As y'all may imagine, I have been told that the tragedy occurred because the shooter didn't make sure of his target. Not sure if it was noise or moving brush was the target. Nothing said about a decoy being involved.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Fanning, you mean?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Yeah

I just checked, my decoy didn't kill anyone today
    Prayers for this man and his loved ones