Thread: Bulk Fertilizer

Default Bulk Fertilizer

Any suggestions on bulk 19-19-19 for food plots at a decent price. I am looking from Beaufort county north to Georgetown county and west to Richland County and Barnwell County. Fertilizer in pelletized form has skyrocketed and trying to plan now and/or order in bulk now. Thank you in advance!

You generally can get a bulk bag, 2000lbs, from most farm dealers like Meherrin. Just have to be able to handle it.

Good info...thanks...reached out to a buddy whom may have used the Bowman location. Any other input is appreciated. Don't need farm sized amounts but need amounts for 5+ acres of food plots and don't mind storing it if the price is right.

Check with Farmers Feed and Grain in Andrews…any Helena, Nutrien, or Meherrin is gonna have it. You could also check with the fertilizer plant in Kingstree. Im pretty sure a member on here works or used to work at that plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Question….if you buy it in bulk how do you plan on getting it put out? I only ask this because I went through this awhile back trying to avoid handling 50lb bags and after some investigation I figured out 50lb bags was the best option logistically without having a fertilizer truck come out and do it.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Check with Farmers Feed and Grain in Andrews…any Helena, Nutrien, or Meherrin is gonna have it. You could also check with the fertilizer plant in Kingstree. Im pretty sure a member on here works or used to work at that plant.

Thank you sir...my hunting property is around the corner from them....I'll turkey hunt this weekend and see what they can do. My other place is in Barnwell so checking options. I know Farmers Grain was pricy on corn but I still use them as they are reliable and local and have always taken care of me. I've used siteone and Green Resource but their prices have gone sky high.

If someone on here works at the Kingstree plant I would rather give them my support. Thanks for the info!

Have you done a soil test to know exactly what you need and how much?

I haven’t. Both soils are sandy and garbage. Ran triple 17 and sorghum and saw good results with over seeding. Biggest lesson I learned was not to overly disc it in. Once the seed heads were right the deer mowed it down in short order. I’ve tried soybeans with minimal success as they chewed through it before I saw any significant growth.

Why not go with just 34-0-0 since you have not had a soil test?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Why wouldn’t you do a soil test? They can save you a lot of money in wasted lime/fertilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Why wouldn’t you do a soil test?

I wouldn’t store fertilizer in a bulk bag more than a couple weeks, the urea will sweat and the whole blend will get hard and need conditioning. Fertilizer prices are also going back down FYI.

Most cost effective thing you can do is a soil test .....

Second most cost effective thing you can do is adjust to proper PH .....

Third most cost effective thing you can do is not buy fertilizer until the day you put it out .....

I've bought bulk from Meherrin but haven't found a better way of getting it from the big bag into my spin spreader than a 5 gallon bucket at a time. My spin spreader is on the back end of my loader. It makes for a hard day.

They can custom blend whatever your soil test indicates you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Question….if you buy it in bulk how do you plan on getting it put out? I only ask this because I went through this awhile back trying to avoid handling 50lb bags and after some investigation I figured out 50lb bags was the best option logistically without having a fertilizer truck come out and do it.

Same thing, we buy two pallets from Meherrin a year.

Copy on soil test and i appreciate the suggestions. Had a good call with Nutrian in Oburg yesterday. They will likely get my business. Thanks for the help!

You do know that lime is actually more beneficial than fertilizer in some ways?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Most cost effective thing you can do is a soil test .....

Second most cost effective thing you can do is adjust to proper PH .....

Third most cost effective thing you can do is not buy fertilizer until the day you put it out .....
    This is good advice.

As far as putting it out, they put the giant bag in the bed of your truck, you scoop it out with a 5 gallon bucket into a spinspreader. Sounds like a PITA, but its not so bad. Definitely cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    As far as putting it out, they put the giant bag in the bed of your truck, you scoop it out with a 5 gallon bucket into a spinspreader. Sounds like a PITA, but its not so bad. Definitely cost effective.
    Yea, we would have it put on a trailer. Drive trailer to plot, dump into spreader and move onto next plot.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 05-07-2023 at 09:00 AM.