Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm/flea/tick meds?

Default Heartworm/flea/tick meds?

There's forty eleven options out there nowadays...been using Trio on the oldest hound. Puppy is just getting ready to move up in weight class to the next dosage. Just looking to see what the general consensus of preference was these days.

GleNN or any other doogy-docs have a reason for choosing one over the the other?

IF you're not feeding them yellow onions and dipping them in burnt motor oil and diesel, you're wasting money.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Best coverage is going to be interceptor plus and bravecto

Simparica Trio
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Is there much cost savings to be had buying these online vs picking them up from
    My vets office?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Is there much cost savings to be had buying these online vs picking them up from
    My vets office?
    I like doing business locally and after everything my vet did for me recently, with losing Lucy and Kate over a span of 4 days, I'll never even consider buying anything I can buy from him online.....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Buy local.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I like doing business locally and after everything my vet did for me recently, with losing Lucy and Kate over a span of 4 days, I'll never even consider buying anything I can buy from him online.....
    I appreciate and respect that sentiment and there are most certainly times when I go out of my way to support local business. I haven’t researched it enough for this particular subject to make a decision on it but the timing of the thread with knowing I’m about to have another dog at the house just got me to thinking

Are you using that vet right there in Johnston that’s close to you? I’ve heard good things about them
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Damn Feets, I didnt know you lost two. Hate that.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I appreciate and respect that sentiment and there are most certainly times when I go out of my way to support local business. I haven’t researched it enough for this particular subject to make a decision on it but the timing of the thread with knowing I’m about to have another dog at the house just got me to thinking

Are you using that vet right there in Johnston that’s close to you? I’ve heard good things about them
    You can’t go wrong with Johnston animal hospital. They are good people. They have handled my last 3 dogs and I am not looking to go anywhere else. Like I said the Rauton’s are good people. I had to have my lab or 13 years put down this past Christmas Eve. George Rauton dropped everything he was doing to help me out.

This is the vet that I use. I like deal with big George over little George. Both good people but big George likes dealing in parking lot more with cash and hand shake when it comes to a hunting dog.

That sucks man. My condolences.

Dogs are like part of the family!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    This is the vet that I use. I like deal with big George over little George. Both good people but big George likes dealing in parking lot more with cash and hand shake when it comes to a hunting dog.
    I? he still in the office? I was under the impression that he fully retired. But it’s been almost a year since I have been there during normal business hours for a routine visit. I know little George decided to change the hours and all. Can’t say I blame him.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-31-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I? he still in the office? I was under the impression that he fully retired. But it’s been almost a year since I have been there during normal business hours for a routine visit. I know little George decided to change the hours and all. Can’t say I blame him.
    I don’t go there often either. I know he was preparing little George to take it over. With the changes that have happened (hours, appointments instead of walking in ect.) it’s a good possibility.

Yessir. Great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir. Great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best vet in the state imo..
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I use ivermectin for heartworms, safeguard horse wormer and brovecto for fleas.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    There's forty eleven options out there nowadays...been using Trio on the oldest hound. Puppy is just getting ready to move up in weight class to the next dosage. Just looking to see what the general consensus of preference was these days.

GleNN or any other doogy-docs have a reason for choosing one over the the other?
    So many options these days from 6/12 month injectables for heartworms, topicals, orals, combo products. Stand alones. Just have to decide how you want to give it and how often.

A lot/most of my clients are on heartgard and either bravecto or nexgard. Simperica trio is probably the second most popular. We don’t carry the injectables.

If you don’t like buying from a local private owned business, that’s cool. I think for some it’s about cost savings. For others it’s the convenience of shipping. We have an online pharmacy. Prices are competitive and you can put it on auto ship so it re orders itself.

I personally hate stocking inventory. Inventory walks out the door. Kind of wish we didn’t have to stock or sell any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    So many options these days from 6/12 month injectables for heartworms, topicals, orals, combo products. Stand alones. Just have to decide how you want to give it and how often.

A lot/most of my clients are on heartgard and either bravecto or nexgard. Simperica trio is probably the second most popular. We don’t carry the injectables.

If you don’t like buying from a local private owned business, that’s cool. I think for some it’s about cost savings. For others it’s the convenience of shipping. We have an online pharmacy. Prices are competitive and you can put it on auto ship so it re orders itself.

I personally hate stocking inventory. Inventory walks out the door. Kind of wish we didn’t have to stock or sell any of it.
    Appreciate all the feedback...

Will probably just keep them both on the Trio, as my older Springer has been on it for quite some time. My vet has a wall of stuff and doesnt seem to push any one particular product over the other. Was just curious if there was a better moustrap than the one I had...

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Appreciate all the feedback...

Will probably just keep them both on the Trio, as my older Springer has been on it for quite some time. My vet has a wall of stuff and doesnt seem to push any one particular product over the other. Was just curious if there was a better moustrap than the one I had...
    Nah. They’re all equally effective. Really it comes down to how you want to give it and how often. And marketing. If your vet pushes one product over another it’s not for superior quality. It’s for purchase incentives from producers/distributors. We get “rewards” for moving product. It’s slimy but it’s the biz.