Thread: March 30th - Did I miss the 2023 morel season?

Default March 30th - Did I miss the 2023 morel season?

I was going to give it a concerted effort to find a couple of patches, this year, but I'm starting to think the freezing temps might have knocked them back. Anybody know?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I think you still have some more time but I will admit I’m green when it comes to this.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-30-2023 at 03:39 PM.

I have plenty of potential sites I will give to an experienced hunter for a small portion of the harvest. I don’t have the time or the patience.

I was picking three weeks ago. They had just popped before those couple of freezing nights.

I'm finding them like crazy in the upstate, been picking them since early March. Just sent you a PM.

This is the 4th Spring of trying and it seems like this year I've finally figured it out. I'm finding really large ones too whereas in years past I'd only find those short, skinny "tulip morels" as they're called. And never found enough to make a good serving of.

This year I'm finding some that fill up my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    I'm finding them like crazy in the upstate, been picking them since early March. Just sent you a PM.

This is the 4th Spring of trying and it seems like this year I've finally figured it out. I'm finding really large ones too whereas in years past I'd only find those short, skinny "tulip morels" as they're called. And never found enough to make a good serving of.

This year I'm finding some that fill up my hand.
    Thanks - I've found a few in the past years but wanted to actually find enough to eat. It won't take many because the kids are out and my wife won't eat mushrooms. She did buy me two books on mushrooms, though...come to think of it, she's been mighty nice lately...?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I found 17 large ones on Saturday in the NF while fighting the storms and wind, wasting my time, because it was impossible to hear a turkey. Left them all for you to go grab. Still mostly one or two at a time but LARGE when I do find them! Just keep walking and focusing on the correct trees.

I was gonna go yesterday with the wife and kids to get them but decided to go fishing instead since the royal DNR does grant us peasants the right to fish on Sundays in the lakes we pay for as opposed to hunting on Sundays in the woods we pay for.

One creek only has them relating to tulip poplars, one only has them relating to ash trees. I don't know what to make of that, maybe it's seasonal? A few weeks earlier maybe the ash tree spot (which I just found last week) would have had them under tulip trees? Just look in the kind of environment I told you about in the PM and you should find some. Get after them! Might only be a week or two left of the season.

Just so yall know, it still isn't over! Took the wife and kids yesterday and grabbed several.

We found several that were way beyond their time so we left them. Most of what we found was still plenty edible. My wife spotted a small, very young one. So that's a great sign that the growing season isn't done. With all the rain we got over the weekend and cool temps in the forecast, I'd guess we'll get another round of them popping up.

This one creek that only had them under Tulip Poplar trees all of March is now producing them under Ash trees as well. Everything we found was within a 3 foot radius of a tree.

Ash trees seem to be producing them a bit further from the creek than the Tulip trees will. Lots of other growth right now so the morels are harder to spot. Walk slow and look carefully.

Don't overlook a sycamore either. A lot of what I find is under sycamore in my area.

I've been told those are one of the trees last to produce them. Haven't found one yet under a sycamore but the environment I do find them in has tons of those. So I'll be checking next time.

This morning I took those morels, sliced them up and sauteed them in butter, garlic, and onions. Then made an omelet, threw the mushrooms in the middle with some sharp cheddar. Flipped it a few times and that's about as awesome of a breakfast as you can get.

Found a decent stand on some public ground opening day. Found them early and didn’t want to pull them and tote them around all day. Thought about them again when I was back at home. Need to go visit again and gather a handful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Found a decent stand on some public ground opening day. Found them early and didn’t want to pull them and tote them around all day. Thought about them again when I was back at home. Need to go visit again and gather a handful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know what, we might go to the same couple of creek bottoms to find morels haha. Since we've already discussed some of the areas we hunt. One of my spots I know someone else knows about because I found a stem cut that had brown edges. So it wasn't from me. I'd just found that area on the day I noticed it.

My 5yr old daughter was with me that day and she said, "Daddy let's put a note on the tree that says there are no mushrooms here so nobody else finds our spot" lol, she gets it! One day she'll be just like me, covering up every turkey track I see.