Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garden

Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I been useing Stout Ollie 2th. Damn you all making me sick looking at these pics
    dig a bigger hole
    even though tomatoes dont throw out really deep roots

Nutz is in my cart today... Fridays to me are like your Mondays and Thursdays combined

20230531_123729.jpg

I bury most of my plants when I dig the holes.. doesn't everyone?

yes...i just think he needs more, better dirt too

hey nutz!

I have a couple hundred extra Beauregard sweet potato slips in Newberry if anyone wants them.

Got grandmas maters staked and strung this afternoon

A2128945-65BB-4EC1-A3CC-CCE554EEF668.jpg

That's a heck of a garden! Looks awesome.

Might need the tomato masters - 2oof and Highstrung, to advise on my tall, stringy looking tomato plants. My Better Boy plants are tall, not much volume, and only a few fruits. They don't look right.

My Beefsteak plants are thick and bushy, tomatoes growing all over the place. I suppose a picture would help of the former.

What do the experts recommend? I did clip the first group of flowers off as I'm told that helps promote a thicker plant. Didn't pull any suckers. They got planted in a deep hole filled with dirt, compost, and crushed eggshells.

Good soil, I add junk to mine every year, decent Sun, I add lime.. a handful in each bottom.. I don't pull flowers, and I only sucker a little bit.. if I think the suckers will bother the plant.

20230620_140224.jpg

20230620_140249.jpg

20230620_140416.jpg

20230618_162232.jpg

I've only pulled a few large tomatoes so far, a single Cherokee purples, and some lemon boys.. pulled enough for a pie on Father's day

20230618_174350.jpg

Damn, I am gonna start over next year. My plants are 6' high but not setting much fruit. Looks great HS
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Man, those are tomato goals right there. I was gonna post a pic of my failing ones to see if someone knows what specific deficit could be causing it but I'm embarrassed after seeing those!

anybody got a good tomato pie recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I really love real tomatoes, I mean I grow a few other things, but tomatoes get me going. Good dirt is important. I've been doing my own garden for I don't know how many years, and before that messed around with my dad. I'm into learning and finding about others.. I had a long lunch conversation with an old friend who has a fancy little garden, holds functions and shit at it, supplies heirlooms on vegetables at cute restaurants and all of the sorts. They're into trying to grow the largest.. I'm not. They don't sucker, they believe it's bad in our state, nor mess around with sprays, they'll inject calcium and such. I've just found line works.. I'm trying to get a balanced high yield for as long as I can.. because I only care for them if they're real. No hot houses or grocery store mush maters for me. I tend and mess with mine almost every day, it's peaceful.

I did learn a trick today about how others win first tomatoe contests, or getting them river quicker.. I'm going to share it with 2th at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    anybody got a good tomato pie recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?
    I'll post up what I do shortly, need to get some work done

Same here. Making fresh caprese salads all Summer with tomato and basil from the garden is one of my favorite things about it.

I feel bad for people who think they don't like tomatoes because they've only had store bought ones that taste like eating a napkin.

How about sharing the secret HS!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It must involve nitrous oxide.
    DILLIGAF

IMG_9919.jpg

I mostly share Highstrung’s philosophies, usually pick my first couple big ones around July 4th, really early start this year. This is minus a handful the rabbits ate a quarter of and moved on. Got my garlic all dried out from the winter garden, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    It must involve nitrous oxide.
    ha, I'm terrible at internetting on a phone

I just slice them, then the tomatoes go straight into a colander. I believe in the less water you have then the more flavor, ie fat stuff like that you can add. I haven't made a pie crust in some years now, but I can. Sometimes, I'll use deep, sometimes shallow, all tomato amounts depending. So these, I'll follow directions of the crust and poke holes then get them started in the oven. Then they're pulled out and cooled. The sliced and drained tomatoes went in, then a couple squirts of duke's, salt, pepper, basil, then fine mozzarella, and then fine cheddar on top. I baked them on 350 for maybe 20 to 25 until the cheese was browned.

I'll play with all of that, but that's the gist of my quick pies. I like them simple, no meats or anything.. no pimento cheese. I think that's just fake south. I don't mind all cheddar, but I prefer them with some mozzarella. If it's looks soupy, cut out some dukes. Basil, fresh and it has to be inside, if not it'll just burn. I don't think there's a defined way to make one, but they should be simple with simple flavors in my opinion.