Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Big is Big Enough for a Boat?

Rarely does anyone say, "I wish I had bought a smaller boat"

Quote Originally Posted by DG34YF View Post
    Jwterry3 is spot on.
    The 41004 Wx Buoy will give good info to base your decision to run out & it helps to have some knowledge in reading a forecast to run home before it gets too sporty.

Spent close to 40 years on cable ships, tankers & container ships, everything gets humbled by Mother Nature.
    Saw the same oil rig off to port for almost 2 days in the North Sea and we were transiting not on station.

Green water over the bow will eventually find structural weaknesses, buy & operate within capabilities.
    Vessel length, weight & design vs wave height & period can be graphed I'm sure, just need to stay under the "curve".
    We have turned back once outside the rocks on my 34 a few times, even returned 200# of ice once!

You need to consider where your Offshore AO is.
    Some inlets will minimize your number of trips.
    I trailer from NH to LA, Oregon Inlet is my least favorite.
    Yep. The Edisto Buoy factors in heavily to our decision to go or stay. I thought that's what everybody used.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Really shocked no one has obliged this thread with this clip by now.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Invariably, when I am conversing with someone wanting to buy a boat for offshore, the question comes up: "How big of a boat do I need to go offshore?" My reply is always, "The ocean can make any boat small, you need to pick your days." It is sound advice, albeit, not that original. A former colleague told me stories of his time in the Navy on an aircraft carrier when they were taking waves over the bow. Seriously over the bow of an aircraft carrier. Anyway, I came across this short video of a rescue swimmer assisting with a disabled vessel in Europe. It verifies two things, the first is what I said in my previous answer, and the second is that pictures never do big seas justice. MG

That was the Columbia river entrance in Oregon. Not Europe.
    Happened a few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I keep looking at 35-37’ boats but doubt I’d go anymore than I do in the 28’. Just have more tied up in it. I don’t like to get beat up when I fish. If it ain’t fun, I’m not going.

No way I’d want to be on anything in those seas. That ocean’s big and can swallow even the largest carrier/ship without a trace.

Got caught in a bad storm at the Greenville a few years back. Wind went from 5 to 60 when it hit. Waves went from 2 to 8+. I kept the bow on watching the speed at 6knt. When it blew out we were 1/2 mile off the Hector, 7 miles in reverse. That’s the only time I’ve had actual waves break across the bow of the Southport. Found out what that boat could handle that day.

Came through Winyah sideways one day in the Pioneer on a NE blow. 5hrs white knuckle from 25 miles out, that was it for the little 22’ Pioneer and offshore. That and the GW that almost made my son a snack.
    GW = Great White? Would like to hear that story

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    That was the Columbia river entrance in Oregon. Not Europe.
    Happened a few weeks ago.
    Thanks for the clarification, it makes so much more sense. The Columbia River is no joke on its best days. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Rarely does anyone say, "I wish Black Bart had bought a smaller boat"
    FIFY
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

About to jump to the 42'. Haters gun hate.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, it makes so much more sense. The Columbia River is no joke on its best days. MG
    We went to Astoria, OR to sturgeon / salmon fish years back. Heard they were catching a bunch of them. Saw that wind blowing up the offshore mouth and moved to a boat launch in Longview , WA. That's like 45 miles inland. River was white capping. We didn't catch shit. My business partner went back to Ilwaco a week or so later and they smashed em all day. Including one over 10 feet long that jumped like a Tarpon for 15 minutes solid. The Gamies came over tagged and measured it. Estimated it's age at 75- 80 years old.

I have wanted to go back and try it again and hope to someday soon. It's a gorgeous area.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.