Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow, calves, and hopes of green grass

Default Snow, calves, and hopes of green grass

Man I miss sc weather. The cold doesn’t bother me as much but three foot of snow certainly does. Makes it hard to get much of anything done with it. We got another foot this weekend and more is scheduled for the end of the week. Calving season as begun, as we just finished calving our first-calf heifers. It has been a very new experience. I got to pull a few calves, and two sets of twins. I can safely say I’ll be able to be in the delivery room for the birth of a child. All the while it’s a good experience, I’ve learned a lot about caring for these calves and the first time mommas, making sure everyone is healthy, and has the right calf. That is a big problem with new mommas, they forget who their baby is, they’ll let another baby steal their food, they’ll think a different calf is there’s, they are not the brightest. I am hoping for warm weather and a thaw soon, it thawed some last week, enough to make our road super muddy and icy, which makes for a fun drive after it freezes solid overnight after we put ruts in the road. In other words I’m ready for green grass and slick horses. There ain’t too much to add to this so feel free to ask questions. I still can’t believe I’m getting paid to do this. B9140954-BA54-4261-BB04-BECC5E4F35AD.jpg95F0F5CD-566B-4081-AAB8-BDCFD7E083D8.jpg1B6BC448-8EB7-4975-A9E0-F15C4D2C7E30.jpgBDC499D7-CB40-4EC5-BCD5-74FCB7307305.jpg351A8C9F-F359-4A3B-8A99-F3032DBC7FAB.jpg201E8359-2175-4E5A-8A35-CAE62E54477D.jpgB04026F4-4169-486F-A5B6-07AE26162FAC.jpg8FA64D17-A213-43A0-857D-C3D95CD50920.jpg6A228EB4-ACAB-4625-8702-7178F0B355E6.jpg
    i wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong

Looks awesome

What the grinder used for?
    Windows Down!

I love the pics!

Looks like one adventure after another.

When the time comes for you to be in the delivery room do yourself a favor and do NOT mention this event.

Live it up, what an awesome experience that the majority of us will never have. Much respect for what you are doing!

Great pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Very cool.

I will have to say Youth Is A wonderful Thing and Enjoy. Gonna be 80+ in the hole next week.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Looks awesome

What the grinder used for?
    We grind roughly 800 tons of hay every winter to feed our replacement heifers in our feedlot
    i wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong

You’ll look back over the years and will always know that taking on this challenge was the smartest thing you ever did in your development as a man. Kudos to you and keep having a ball.

And stay safe…
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You say that about the delivery room but it ain’t so. I can pull a calf and eat a ham sandwich at the same time. Hell I did a few c-sections in that arena but when my daughters were born it was totally different. Though much to my wife’s displeasure when the doc pulled out some tool to break her water and I asked what it was and found out I said “oh heck I always just used my pocket knife”. I thought my wife was going to punch me in the delivery room.

This spring should be fun with runoff, like 2011 fun. Got to build a bridge that spring from scrap we found around the ranch
    8BC05A82-75EB-4D89-BBF4-BA4589E7DFB6.jpeg
    cut\'em

I read where Wyoming lost 70% of it's deer to the winter.

winter ends.
    you'll miss fresh snow until it finally dries out.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Living.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

That's beyond awesome! We are all jealous as can be, but happy to see you get the opportunity. Keep living it up. And trust us, best thing you can do in the delivery room is hold her hand and keep your thoughts to yourself! Second best thing you can do is not worry about that chapter for a while.

Looks cold ... but fun. Enjoy it.

Awesome
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I'm still jealous. Keep the pics and the stories coming.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Keep posting these, please. Like most everyone else I'm sure, I enjoy following your adventures.

One thing I'll tell ya is for cold like that, I realized Coleman, like the lantern/ camping gear company, makes some fleece lined britches that are fabulous. With proper layering underneath they're far superior to any plain ole jeans or Carharts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-29-2023 at 10:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I love everything about this post and the pics David!
    Thanks for sharing