Thread: Water treatment for showering (hunt camp)

Default Water treatment for showering (hunt camp)

We are contemplating pumping stream water into a 55 gallon barrel, to run through a propane tankless water heater for showering. The water is clear but the stream runs through a cow farm so no telling what it could hold. It will be used for strictly showering. Most everything i look up calls for boiling, but is more related to drinking water. I’m sure a couple caps of bleach would be fine, but not interested in the smell it leaves behind. Anybody done anything like this in your off grid places. UV light, tablets, etc…? It might be fine as is if we don’t invest or have cuts on us, but i would feel better if there is a practical way to treat.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Couldn’t you use sodium percarbonate ?
    Last edited by mello_collins; 03-28-2023 at 04:18 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

What about a rain collection system? Maybe use a tote or two drums? You could've filled them up with all the rain we got the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    What about a rain collection system? Maybe use a tote or two drums? You could've filled them up with all the rain we got the other night.
    Definitely looking into this as well.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

gutters off roof to rain barrels or 275 gallon totes sitting on a raised platform. Raised platform allows better gravity feed to inline water filter and to 12 volt water pump to camp. A splash of bleach every so often does the trick. We use a sprinkle bleach powder. I'd feel better doing that than worrying about E-coli or giardia from cow poop / pee upstream.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

48 quart cooler with a drain plug.
    Filled from a well with a hand pump.
    Placed on top of a truck camper.
    Add a couple of gallons of water heated on a fire.

Pull plug and shower as needed.

Did it many times back in the day while on week long trips in the SNF.
    Pretty simple. Don't over think it.

Or you can just use baby wipes.

i doubt you can even notice 4-5 teaspoons of bleach for 55 gallons
    Windows Down!

They Right. Bleach is cheap.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I saw a guy online that used a garden type pump sprayer for a portable shower. Heated up the water, few pumps on the tank and he had some decent pressure. We had a rain bucket full of water and I would heat some up on the stove and take a bird bath, hit the high and low spots and roll on.
    every expert was once a beginner

We have been using the 5 gallon solar camping shower and just heating water in a turkey fryer. We have been using well water, but it is a pain to transport and we don’t won’t to ask the land owner any more than we have too. The tankless is going to definitely use more water and the stream is close by. Water collection might get be our best bet if we can rig it up.

IMO at a hunt camp you just tying to wash your ass and get the sweat gone.

Either creek water or rain collection as stated above and splash some bleach in it and be clean.

You aren’t drinking it so a little bleach is plenty
    Last edited by quack head 11; 03-28-2023 at 09:46 PM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.