Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wingmaster shoots 3”?

Default Wingmaster shoots 3”?

So I stumbled upon something yesterday morning and wondering if any here have any experience with it.

I have an early 70s wingmaster with fixed mod barrel with 2-3/4” chamber. I have been looking online for an aftermarket 3” chambered, vent rib barrel for turkey hunting and through some research, some say the receiver won’t work with a 3” shell. So, I pulled out a 3” shell to see if it would fit, it did, barely (not sure a fired shell would be able to eject though) and I said what the heck, let’s chamber it. We’ll, to my surprise, it chambered and bolt seated completely. Hmmm….so has anybody fired one and has it ejected properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will not eject.

The fired shell will hang up.

Dont be a wimp. Go braaap it off. You can safely shoot most 3in out of a 2.75in chamber, if the pressure is safe BUT it won't eject out the ejection port bc of the length of the hull.

Or...... just shoot 2.75" tss and save yourself the aggravation of finding a new barrel and worrying about this mess.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Dont be a wimp. Go braaap it off. You can safely shoot most 3in out of a 2.75in chamber, if the pressure is safe BUT it won't eject out the ejection port bc of the length of the hull.

Or...... just shoot 2.75" tss and save yourself the aggravation of finding a new barrel and worrying about this mess.
    Wimp…right.

I’d rather not throw a 40” pattern of tss 9s at 40 yds with a mod barrel. I like my teeth just like they are, not broken. It’s as much about having a barrel that I can swap chokes on and use for more applications. I’m starting to lean further towards sending it to brileys and have them thread the barrel.

My cousin has an old 2 3/4” 1100 that he used to shoot 3” shells through. It would cycle them just fine. I don’t know about the 870, but we held his up against a 11-87 that I had that would shoot 3” shells. There was no difference that the eye could see

You Texans are such pussies…
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I have an aftermarket barrel for my 2 3/4" 1100 that is chambered for 3" "steel only". I think it's steel only because the receiver might not like the recoil of heavier loads.

I would think it would eject a 3'' that has been rolled crimped.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    You Texans are such pussies…
    Here we go with a buncha bullshit.

Default Wingmaster shoots 3”?

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    I would think it would eject a 3'' that has been rolled crimped.
    I’m going to chamber a spent shell the next time I think about it. The ejection port is only 3-1/8-3-1/4” if I had to guess, but does t mean it won’t throw a longer spent hull out because it’s coming out at an angle.

If I could shoot off my back porch without the popo getting called or had a place to shoot less than an hour away, I wouldn’t have wasted my time asking for past experiences here. Maybe quackaddict feels better about himself now that he called me a pussy on a forum….cool. Maybe somebody can actually answer the question before I have a chance to shoot this weekend? Or maybe quackaddict will be able to dislodge his husbands dick from his ass? Only time will tell…
    *Edited to spell correct and talk shit.

Last edited by TXFowler; 03-28-2023 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    I’m going to chamber a spent shell the next time I think about it. The ejection port is only 3-1/8-3-1/4” if I had to guess, but does t mean it won’t throw a longer spent hull out because it’s coming out at an angle.

If I could shoot off my back porch without the popo getting called or had a place to shoot less than an hour away, I wouldn’t have wasted my time asking for past experiences here. Maybe quackaddict feels better about himself now that he called me a pussy on a forum….cool. Maybe somebody can actually answer the question before I have a chance to shoot this weekend? Or maybe quackaddict will be able to dislodge his wife’s dick from his ass? Only time will tell…

I have an older 16ga chambered in 2 9/16'' that will not eject a 2 1/2'' fold crimped hull but it will eject a 2 3/4'' roll crimp every time. I have some spent 3'' roll crimped hulls laying around somehwere. I will measure one for you and also check a 2 3/4. I know the spent 2 1/2'' 16ga hull is longer than the 2 3/4'' spent roll crimped hull.

I tried it with my '73 model Wingmaster several years ago and it wouldn't do it . Then i got to thinking, why did I want to change it anyway? The 2 3/4" shells were still doing the job I needed doing. The biggest issue for me now is finding 2 3/4" shells loaded like I want, specifically lead #2"s.

A good friend shot an old 1100 2 3/4 gun with 3” buckshot for years on deer drives without issue. Ended up getting a 3” magnum gun, but he says he would shoot it today without hesitation.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I have an older Wingmaster that shoots 3 inch shells perfectly fine but it was modified. It was originally slated for 2 3/4. We had a gunsmith in Sumter that changed the extractor out for us and bore the barrel out to make room for the shot 3 inch shell. . He did hundreds of them if not more. Changes the cosmetics a little on the side where the part is replaced but mine was for shooting and not showing.

The chamber on the two are not the same length and could lead to higher than expected pressure. There is a reason it is stamped 3" chamber on the barrel and 3" magnum on the receiver. I will watch someone else do it. I watch a friend shoot (by accident) a 3" shell in 2 3/4" Winchester auto. I broke the receiver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29557004927...Bk9SR5DlqdXlYQ

Buy this. I have this exact same 30" fixed full on a Wingmaster and it throws a heckuva turkey pattern.

You can do anything you want with a full barrel and a mod barrel. There's plenty of great 2 3/4" turkey shells out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29557004927...Bk9SR5DlqdXlYQ

Buy this. I have this exact same 30" fixed full on a Wingmaster and it throws a heckuva turkey pattern.

You can do anything you want with a full barrel and a mod barrel. There's plenty of great 2 3/4" turkey shells out there.
    I agree....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have an early 80s 20 gauge wingmaster that won't eject a 3 inch shell.

That being said keep checking ebay and you can find a fixed full barrel. I have a 28" Full, 23" Mod, 26" I/C and a 21" rem choke barrel that I swap back and forth between.

I have no idea if they will eject a 3" hull but they are a hellofa rabbit gun.