Thread: Genetic evidence tamies should be outlawed

Default Genetic evidence tamies should be outlawed

For you podcast listeners go to Duck Season Somewhere and listen to "Mallard Rockstars". They provide genetic evidence on how/why old world genes are ruining new world populations. Fascinating and very sad.

We're all aware of the reasons. The sad part is there is way too much money involved with the clubs releasing tamies. That's the reason it's still legal and will stay legal.

Shoot we've got places protecting wild hogs so that they can charge $300 to shoot one. If we can't get that outlawed, we'll never get releasing tamies outlawed.

Old world is going to mess up new world?

That sounds backwards to GMO seeds compromising non GMO?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

^^^ I'm glad somebody else saw that also.

Groundbreaking 30 year old news...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    There was no genetic proof 30 years ago. Just anecdotal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Just anecdotal.
    I hit my thumb with a hammer, but it doesn't actually hurt until the doctor tells me it is so...

Someone please send me a link to the literature showing gene sequencing in wild mallard populations 30 years ago. I must be really stupid. I can't find it. Maybe I misspelled "Google".

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Someone please send me a link to the literature showing gene sequencing in wild mallard populations 30 years ago. I must be really stupid. I can't find it. Maybe I misspelled "Google".
    I am assuming you think that pen raised mallards have no negative effects on wild breeding populations?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I am assuming you think that pen raised mallards have no negative effects on wild breeding populations?
    Not genetically.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Whenever man interferes with nature the results are seldom good. The exception the North American conservation model which saved wildlife populations for man’s exploitation.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Wrong. I'm very much against tamie release. And now there is genetic proof tamies are destroying our wild mallard populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Not genetically.
    Explain please?

Just curious as some of the stuff you post and believe and this is far fetched?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Whenever man interferes with nature the results are seldom good. The exception the North American conservation model which saved wildlife populations for man’s exploitation.
    Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
    Genesis 1:28
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
    Genesis 1:28
    We have dominion and fuck it up

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    We have dominion and fuck it up
    While it might be hard to imagine today, mallards were once rarely encountered throughout much of the Atlantic Flyway. That began to change during the 20th century, as the expansion of agriculture in eastern Canada opened the Boreal forest, creating ideal habitat for pioneering mallards from the west. To the south, in the eastern United States, government agencies and private citizens worked for decades to establish a huntable mallard population through the large-scale release of game-farm birds. Mallard numbers grew exponentially in the east, and by the 1960s, the greenhead had become the most abundant duck in the Atlantic Flyway.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Interesting the early data shows wild (New World) mallards rarely hybridize. All of these mallard- black duck, mallard-pintail, etc hybrids are all Old World genes.

It aint never gonna stop as long as people are lining their politician’s pockets.