Thread: No more permit for purchase

Default No more permit for purchase

https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-carolin...141926850.html

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina residents can now buy a handgun without getting a permit from a local sheriff, after the Republican-controlled legislature on Wednesday overrode the Democratic governor’s veto — a first since 2018.

The House voted 71-46 to enact the bill, which eliminates the longstanding permit system requiring sheriffs to perform character evaluations and criminal history checks of pistol applicants. The Senate overrode Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto in a party-line vote on Tuesday.

The permit repeal takes effect immediately. Cooper and Democratic lawmakers warned it allows more dangerous people to obtain weapons through private sales, which do not require a background check, and limits law enforcement’s ability to prevent them from committing violent crimes.

Gettin' out freedomed by NC.

That's gotta hurt if you're a SC state politician.

Long time coming for us. Glad to see the PPP scrapped.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

And they are a basketball state….

So wait, I won a pistol in a raffle a few weeks ago and haven’t made time to go by the sheriffs office to get a pistol permit. I’m good to go now???
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    So wait, I won a pistol in a raffle a few weeks ago and haven’t made time to go by the sheriffs office to get a pistol permit. I’m good to go now???
    Yep.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Got a lot of friends who will appreciate this

Just grab an FFL friend and haul the gun over the line
    And don’t worry about it.

You will
    Probably be fine but be safe in the event some stupid court over turns the Congress.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Yep.
    Sweet
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

As long as you can pass the background check. You know, the same background check they did in order to get the PPP in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

A state that couldn’t decide where to piss at that…. sc senate out to be ashamed.. but they aren’t

Our former Gov (who happened to champion the “bathroom bill”) said he thought the PPP needed to stay. He tried to shake my hand last turkey season while running for the NC congressional seat. I politely declined.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I don't quite understand. Since when have we had to gain permission from the State to purchase a firearm?

SC Senators...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. When I lived in NC I went to the sheriff's department and got an application and 3 days later had a permit I got 5 at one time. I never understood it anyway you can buy a long gun immediately but had to wait 3 days for a handgun.

I wonder if a SC resident can now purchase a handgun without it needing to be shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I don't see why this is such a big deal. When I lived in NC I went to the sheriff's department and got an application and 3 days later had a permit I got 5 at one time. I never understood it anyway you can buy a long gun immediately but had to wait 3 days for a handgun.

I wonder if a SC resident can now purchase a handgun without it needing to be shipped.
    1. Because some Democrat sheriffs would make people wait months.

2. NO, Federal law, will still have to be shipped to an FFL in your state.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post

You don't think having to go get a sheriff to give you permission to buy a firearm is a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    You don't think having to go get a sheriff to give you permission to buy a firearm is a big deal?
    I was under the impression the department performed a background check not the sheriff personally deciding. This was 35 years ago long before the interweb.