Thread: Sperry Topsiders

Default Sperry Topsiders

I've worn them my entire life. I needed a new pair and went to their website. They have categories "Women Men Kids and gender inclusive". I am sick of wokeness. I've owned my last pair of Sperry's.

I agree.

Why can’t stuff just be stuff for women and men,

If you’re one of those in between just pick which one you like. Why make everyone else hear about it
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

With you 100%.

But it’s gettin awfully hard to clothe myself nowadays.

This isn’t Sperry’s first foray into wokeness…

Sperry suspends sponsorship of Charleston Race Week over flag with Confederate ‘motif’

by Sam Spence
    September 17, 2020
    TwitterFacebook

CORA's website no longer bears its burgee, but was there as recently as October 2019 | Archive.org
    The shoe company Sperry has suspended its sponsorship of the annual Charleston Race Week over a Confederate flag “motif” on the flag of the sailing event’s parent group.

The leaders of Race Week and Charleston Ocean Racing Association (CORA), which runs the event, say they will work with association members and Sperry to reach a resolution.

In August, according to The Post and Courier, CORA members voted against a proposal to remove the group’s representative flag, or “burgee.” The banner bears elements reminiscent of the Confederate flag, including white stars arranged along a blue stripe through the red triangular flag.

Joelle Grunberg, Sperry’s global brand president, said in a statement to Charleston City Paper that the company’s decision to suspend its sponsorship is dependent on action from CORA.

“CORA’s logo currently includes a motif on its flag that resembles the Confederate battle flag, and Sperry in no way supports the Confederate flag and what it stands for. The flag runs contrary to Sperry’s values as a welcoming and inclusive brand. Sperry has suspended its sponsorship of Charleston Race Week, and the future of the sponsorship is contingent upon CORA removing the Confederate flag from its official logo.”

Sperry is a subsidiary of Wolverine World Wide, which also owns Saucony, Chaco, Keds, Merrell and other casual and workwear footwear companies. Sperry has also sponsored The America’s Cup and US Sailing.

In a joint statement, CORA Commodore Andrew Guhl and Race Week Event Director Randy Draftz defended the flag’s origins and CORA itself as an “all-inclusive sailing organization open to all Charleston area sailors.”

“The CORA burgee was designed with four stars to represent the four Charleston yacht clubs at the time. The designers of the CORA burgee never intended for it to resemble the Confederate flag, but its unfortunate resemblance has caused understandable concern.”

Guhl and Draftz said, “We will continue to work with Sperry, our membership and others to address this issue.”
    Last edited by BowfinClassic; 03-26-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Hey Dude's have a style that is similar and a comfort factor of 10 over Sperry.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Hey Dude's have a style that is similar and a comfort factor of 10 over Sperry.
    And they’re owned by Crocs who sponsored a children’s drag show.

It's my opinion that most every company out there does something or sponsors something that we don't agree with. You choose who to buy from. I've recently seen, but haven't looked into PublicSq. Apparently it's some sort of "place" where conservative companies can join to promote their business. It's a way for you support businesses that line up with most of "our" thinking. I'm going to dig into it more to see what they are about.

I hear good things about Rancourt & Co and Oak street boot makers. The last pair of Sperry’s I bought are about worn out and didn’t take long to get that way, so I’m looking at one of these two for a new pair of Mocs

I’ve got a pair of rancourt penny loafers and they are legit

My Dad wears a pair of Timberlands and also has some Twisted X brand he likes. You may want to look at those.

Fuck Sperry and their wokeness. I've never worn a pair so I have no basis for comparison, but I've found G.H. Bass' boat shoes to be incredibly comfortable.

Lately I've been wearing Reef's flip flops and when shoes are necessary, their Coast shoes. Kinda like Hey Dudes but not gay.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-26-2023 at 10:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Don’t be sad. I quit wearing Sperrys in the late 90’s when I realized they are the most uncomfortable shoes known to man.

I have worn Sperry for years but their quality went way downhill about 5 years ago and I haven't had a pair since. I surely wouldn't try them again now.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    Good to hear

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    They have a nice line-up from what I see on their site. After you mentioned this, they have a pair of boots that interested me also.

Just ordered a pair of Rancourt.