Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lack of youth day on public lands

Youth day this Saturday at the Wateree WMA. Swamp will be flooded. Dumbass turkeys will be in the trees.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

"I don't agree with youth days because it allows dads to live vicariously thru their kids. "

Turkey hunting is the new travel ball?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I can’t roll my eyes hard enough at this dumb shit. Not at you, at the state. I know that’s exactly the answer to my question.
    They view you as a criminal until they can prove/make-up otherwise.

I've never taken my son on a youth day hunt, I hardly know when they are. He gets invited on most hunts I go on (unless it's a death march or he'll miss too much school)

Growing up in Alabama we didn't have youth days. They may have them now but I can't say for sure. Sans youth day somehow we still managed to get after it. I went every time my dad did unless I was in school etc. Even then he would check me out of school at least a half dozen times a spring to either turkey hunt or crappie fish and same in the fall to deer hunt. But the crowd I grew up learning from didn't do hand outs. You were invited but cut no quarter. you were treated like a grown up and had to earn your kills. If the bird wasn't in your zone, tough tits. Dad, my uncles etc all toted a gun and it was every man for himself. On what was going to be my first turkey I got long gunned. By my father. "Shoot when it's time to shoot next time." Lesson learned.

But I'm not mad at youth days. We'll take advantage of them for sure when they are ready. At 6 mine are not. At least not the way I want them to be.

Now, when it comes to NF and WMA, the sooner you all realize the DNR doesn't want you out there the happier you will be. If you are hunting WMA then they'll have to listen to you about the poor management. If you hunt public land you are step child sleeping in the shed in the back yard to DNR and a criminal first.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-27-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    You've obviously never been around under privileged or disabled kids. Enjoy your short sightedness. I'll take every extra day any way I can get it to spend time with my boys in the woods, they are only small for a short amount of time.
    Actually I've been around them a lot. I believe you are the short sighted one. If you wanted to, you could take a kid hunting about 8-9 months out of the year if you hunt turkey, deer, birds, and small game. Throw in fishing, hogs, predators, and trapping and you got all 12 months to enjoy the outdoors. There is ample opportunity to take kids hunting. More than 99% of us have in free available time.
    Last edited by Remy; 03-27-2023 at 11:55 AM.

remy--i admire your stick-to-it-iveness but you're missing the boat.
    a special day to promote youth hunting is a good thing.
    just leave it at that. its ok. the boogeyman government is not out to get you.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

This thread has turned into some of the most backward ass thinking I've ever read on this site.

A youth day is just an extra day to carry a kid hunting to give them the best chance possible to kill a turkey before other hunters are in the woods. I can't fathom how there is anything negative about that. No one said that you can't carry a kid the other days the season is open, it's just an extra day meant entirely for the kids. If you don't like youth days then don't participate, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    remy--i admire your stick-to-it-iveness but you're missing the boat.
    a special day to promote youth hunting is a good thing.
    just leave it at that. its ok. the boogeyman government is not out to get you.
    I'm not all that mad at youth days. They are good and I'd never advocate to get rid of them. But, to me, it's just another part of society where we've slid down the hill. We shouldn't need "special" days to take youth hunting, it should just be a normal occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    This thread has turned into some of the most backward ass thinking I've ever read on this site.

A youth day is just an extra day to carry a kid hunting to give them the best chance possible to kill a turkey before other hunters are in the woods. I can't fathom how there is anything negative about that. No one said that you can't carry a kid the other days the season is open, it's just an extra day meant entirely for the kids. If you don't like youth days then don't participate, it's as simple as that.
    You ever wonder why the world is different and the kids are different now than they were 50 years ago? It's all the small things we've changed as parents and a society that have made life easier for kids. 90% of them are harmless and are "good things", but added together, you get what we have now.

We've gotten really good at trying to give our kids the best and remove all obstacles. That's not good in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post

Amen

Default Lack of youth day on public lands

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Actually I've been around them a lot. I believe you are the short sighted one. If you wanted to, you could take a kid hunting about 8-9 months out of the year if you hunt turkey, deer, birds, and small game. Throw in fishing, hogs, predators, and trapping and you got all 12 months to enjoy the outdoors. There is ample opportunity to take kids hunting. More than 99% of us have in free available time.
    Dude, I hardly hunt by myself anymore or anything for that matter, I am always with kids in tow, be it my kids or someone else’s. But hey, you got it figured out, and I bet a blast to be around at the fire barrel. I spend almost all of my free time either in the outdoors or a related activity, with kids.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 03-27-2023 at 12:41 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Dude, I hardly hunt by myself anymore or anything for that matter, I am always with kids in tow, be it my kids or someone else’s. But hey, you got it figured out, and I bet a blast to be around at the fire barrel. I spend almost all of my free time either in the outdoors or a related activity, with kids.
    You need to get back to huffin saw dust and crankin' out toot flutes.

Nobody has a work ethic anymore.

That's awesome. Then you don't need youth days to accomplish what you are doing because you're already doing it. Hence my point.

I do like to think past the surface on most issues and offer counter points. Most everything is grey, not black and white. Sorry if competing ideas aren't allowed around your fire pit.
    Last edited by Remy; 03-27-2023 at 12:53 PM.

^^^ Toof's understudy?

I see what Remy is saying. It's an unpopular opinion, I dont agree with the notion, but I see what he's saying.

He's been drinking some of Toofer's hyper-fluorinated water (toof-aide) and being a contrarian for the sake of an argument.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

We're on the same page SS. (cold chills as I think of grits and ketchup)
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I see what Remy is saying. It's an unpopular opinion, I dont agree with the notion, but I see what he's saying.

He's been drinking some of Toofer's hyper-fluorinated water (toof-aide) and being a contrarian for the sake of an argument.
    Yep, pretty spot on.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    That's awesome. Then you don't need youth days to accomplish what you are doing because you're already doing it. Hence my point.

I do like to think past the surface on most issues and offer counter points. Most everything is grey, not black and white. Sorry if competing ideas aren't allowed around your fire pit.
    When did how others raise their kids become your business?

Youth days are great for a lot of reasons. One of the best is the woods aren't full of rubbheads tooting their new bought toys from the Classic.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.