Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Man’s first!!

Default Little Man’s first!!

We started out youth weekend. Saturday morning we got set up and the bottom fell. About 650 the rain let up so we hurried back and got re situated. It was hard to get a 5yr old comfortable for his very first turkey hunt. He sat with me one time last year and I was able to kill my biggest bird to date. As we were getting set back up, 2 birds gobbled to our right and a jake gobbled to the left. About 730 we watched the two birds on the right pitch down into the swamp then the jake pitched right into the food plot. Levi shot and missed. He had this bright idea to shoot at its back. We had a long discussion shortly after this. We got on 4 more jakes that afternoon but he couldn’t spin on them.
    Sunday morning we heard one bird on the roost and he pitched the other way with hens. About an hour after daylight we packed up and started moving. I called and a bird cut me off 50yds or less in the swamp. Thankfully he gave us time to set up. I had Levi positioned to shoot into an opening where we thought he would come out. I started back and fourth with the hens and finally got them to commit. They did turkey stuff and he stepped out 30yds to our left. When he came into the road, he gobbled and went into strut. Levi wasn’t able to shoot. The bird gobbled and strutted until he got into Levi’s sight which was around 8 yards. He blew the feathers right off the front of the bird. He was pretty disappointed but after a long talk about how difficult of a shot that was even for a grown man, he was better.

Fast forward to today. We struck this bird up at 920ish and at 925am we were celebrating, high fiving, and crying. He strutted and gobbled all the way down the road and met his fate at 25yds with some tss out of his 410. I was able to get it all on video. I have no clue how to upload a video. I am on cloud 9 right now. A huge shoutout to a handful of folks on here that have helped me get him ready. He’s my first and only kid, my dad didn’t hunt but my grandpa did. Boozer, Capt Tom, Ricky P, Britton, and Willy G. I appreciate all the guidance on this kid. Sorry for the long winded post. This kid has put the time in from practicing freehanded, with a rest, sitting, standing, scouting with me etc etc.

16-17ish lbs
    9 1/2” beard
    3/4” spurs

That's as good as it gets buddy. I bet the mishaps on the other two birds will make him appreciate this one even more. Congrats to both of y'all.

Congratulations to both of you! Great pictures.

Good for y’all!!

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    We started out youth weekend. Saturday morning we got set up and the bottom fell. About 650 the rain let up so we hurried back and got re situated. It was hard to get a 5yr old comfortable for his very first turkey hunt. He sat with me one time last year and I was able to kill my biggest bird to date. As we were getting set back up, 2 birds gobbled to our right and a jake gobbled to the left. About 730 we watched the two birds on the right pitch down into the swamp then the jake pitched right into the food plot. Levi shot and missed. He had this bright idea to shoot at its back. We had a long discussion shortly after this. We got on 4 more jakes that afternoon but he couldn’t spin on them.
    Sunday morning we heard one bird on the roost and he pitched the other way with hens. About an hour after daylight we packed up and started moving. I called and a bird cut me off 50yds or less in the swamp. Thankfully he gave us time to set up. I had Levi positioned to shoot into an opening where we thought he would come out. I started back and fourth with the hens and finally got them to commit. They did turkey stuff and he stepped out 30yds to our left. When he came into the road, he gobbled and went into strut. Levi wasn’t able to shoot. The bird gobbled and strutted until he got into Levi’s sight which was around 8 yards. He blew the feathers right off the front of the bird. He was pretty disappointed but after a long talk about how difficult of a shot that was even for a grown man, he was better.

Fast forward to today. We struck this bird up at 920ish and at 925am we were celebrating, high fiving, and crying. He strutted and gobbled all the way down the road and met his fate at 25yds with some tss out of his 410. I was able to get it all on video. I have no clue how to upload a video. I am on cloud 9 right now. A huge shoutout to a handful of folks on here that have helped me get him ready. He’s my first and only kid, my dad didn’t hunt but my grandpa did. Boozer, Capt Tom, Ricky P, Britton, and Willy G. I appreciate all the guidance on this kid. Sorry for the long winded post. This kid has put the time in from practicing freehanded, with a rest, sitting, standing, scouting with me etc etc.

16-17ish lbs
    9 1/2” beard
    3/4” spurs

Great reading, sir. Congrats to the youngun. Thanks for posting.

Great write-up. Congratulations all around.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Go ahead Levi!!!

5 mins has proven to be pushing the limits of his attention span on the ball field....I can only imagine getting him settled down enough for a hunt!

Congratulations Sir. He will never forget the experience for sure.
    Bone....

That’s awesome, congrats to you and lil man

Saw the video! Good stuff! Tell little man Congrats!!!
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Way to go!

Very nice!!!!

That smile says it all
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

That's awesome!
    every expert was once a beginner

Great stuff.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall to hear these kid’s tell their friends about it at school for the next year.

Love it!

Congrats!

I love seeing the kids having fun
    Windows Down!

Nice!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

So awesome Boomer!!