Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gheenoe Pros And Cons

Default Gheenoe Pros And Cons

I know there is no such thing as a perfect boat. But could those of you who have owned or been in Gheenoe's spell out the pros and cons for a fella?

Thanks
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Pros: It's a Gheenoe

Cons: It's a Gheenoe
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have 3.

The 13 ft is better and more stable than the 15 ft.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I’ve been fishing in one for the last 15 years and it has been great. I will
    Always keep it for smaller water but I do want to upgrade to a bigger boat one of these days.
    saltwater creeks are like a playground for a gheenoe. So much fun in lakes too.
    They seem to get a lot of attention so be prepared to talk to people at the ramp and getting gas.

The cons are they are thin so you have to be careful for oyster beds. Have to watch out for bigger boats and it’s a wet ride. If you do get one I would at the minimum get a tiller extension and a grab handle. That made a huge difference standing up and driving.

Mine does very well in rivers, creeks , small lakes.
    Will run 29 mph with 2 people and gear ( feels like 70)

Does not handle rough water at all . Like slow down to idle for boat wake.
    Two people max .

I have a classic with stick steer and a 25 hp.

[ATTACH]82582
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the info so far.

I was rushed earlier. I should've mentioned my intentions for the boat: taking my young kids bream fishing in small creeks/rivers. Solo duck hunting with a dog (large) on the same creeks, swamps, and rivers.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It will work perfect for what you just said. Stay out of big water and you’ll be fine.

I’ve got a 13’ that I acquired here… upgraded the 4 hp to a 9.9. It’s an awesome setup that I use specifically for what you described. Fun boat! I added the bow mount trolling motor bracket but still have the transom mounted foot controlled trolling motor set up that came with it. So many things you can do to them to modify for specific needs.

Waiting on someone to post a pic with a T top installed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    I’ve got a 13’ that I acquired here… upgraded the 4 hp to a 9.9. It’s an awesome setup that I use specifically for what you described. Fun boat! I added the bow mount trolling motor bracket but still have the transom mounted foot controlled trolling motor set up that came with it. So many things you can do to them to modify for specific needs.
    some days i wish id kept that one
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Had one. Miss it often.

I picked up a 13' that I have a 15 evinrude for it. How do you gheenoo people think that will work out?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

It’ll work Great. My 9.9 is converted to a 15. With an 11p stainless prop it will get up to 32mph. With 2 people i swap back to factory prop that will push it 28 with just me, 2 people around 23-25. I wouldn’t want anything less than a 15 on a 13’. I have seen people running 25s on 13’ but not in South Carolina.

A buddy of mine has a 25hp evinrude on a 15’. Never seen one on a 13’ in person, just on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I picked up a 13' that I have a 15 evinrude for it. How do you gheenoo people think that will work out?
    Hang it and let’s go! They’re like 4 wheelers on the water…it’ll go anywhere

This was my first one me and mudeagle redid. Had an 8 yammy on it at first then the 15 merc. It would bump 29

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Hang on to your ass

And get some weight in the front to keep from riding a wheelie. I always kept two 50lb bags of gravel up front in mine
    Last edited by BuckyTownsend; 03-24-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Thanks for all the info so far.

I was rushed earlier. I should've mentioned my intentions for the boat: taking my young kids bream fishing in small creeks/rivers. Solo duck hunting with a dog (large) on the same creeks, swamps, and rivers.
    Check out Towees too. Lot sturdier but still light weight.

Side Profile In Creek.jpg
    Poling.jpg
    Sold this one to another SCDucks member a few months ago.
    Fun rigs for sure