Thread: 2003 Yamaha 50 TLRB

Default 2003 Yamaha 50 TLRB

Looks like I will have a parts motor for sale. 2 broken pistons but everything else is good. Whats it worth?

You got options. Just in parts you could have up to $2000 on your hands. If one were so inclined to break it up and sell individually.

Someone with a 40hp would take the carbs off of ya. I'd ask $300, might can even get more.

The lower unit is worth another $600 or so assuming good shape.

If there's a good stainless prop you got another $150, maybe more depending on model and dimensions.

I think HydroTec Marine will buy the head cover so they can shave it down and resell, maybe even the flywheel as well. They lighten em and resell those too.

Might could ask $1500 or so as is to someone who wants to do a rebuild project.

I've been outta that game for a while so my ballpark prices might be off.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

When you say "broken pistons" you mean like the piston rods broke, or did the head of piston have a hole, or are the pistons actually seized?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I may be interested in the prop, depending on what it is

is the block busted?

The cowling alone could be worth decent money.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

In the past 6 years the normal going rate for 3cyl 2 strokes with a bad powerhead is about $600-800. I have rebuilt a handful of 2 and 3 cyl motors, usually costs me $120/piston, $100 for gasket kit, $50 per cylinder to be machined and whatever extra miscellaneous items. I would hate to see a 2 stroke get parted out when it could be rebuilt and appreciated by those who like the older motors. Whatever you decide to do good luck, 3cyl Yamahas are good motors.

If you decide to rebuild make sure you figure out what caused the engine to fail or else you will have a newly rebuilt engine with 2 bad cylinders again.

Hell I’d rebuild it. Cheaper than buying a new one. If you can even get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Im with goin south. Keep it alive. Nothing like two stroke smoke
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Missed all these replies. Replaced with a mercury 4 stroke. At first glance, it’s a bit of a disappointment. I still have the prop and a camo cowling if anyone wants it. I think it’s a 13p solas prop.

You will like the fuel efficiency and noise level, but it probably won’t perform like that Yamaha. It’s heavier, too.

Do you still have the old motor or just the parts you mentioned? My son is looking for a tiller handle to convert a Yamaha 40 2 stroke that was formerly remote steer. I’m not 100% sure that one would fit but someone on here will likely know.

They're pretty universal Chris. The newest gen tillers that everyone likes so much will bolt right up to a 2003. Literally just gotta buy 2 items; the tiller handle and the fit kit which contains the wiring harness, the shift cable and the throttle cable, plus a few other nuts and bolts kinda stuff.

It's easy. Hardest part is finding em sometimes. Fit kits are often on backorder and price on the handles keeps rising. Last I checked they're like $7-800 brand new.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    They're pretty universal Chris. The newest gen tillers that everyone likes so much will bolt right up to a 2003. Literally just gotta buy 2 items; the tiller handle and the fit kit which contains the wiring harness, the shift cable and the throttle cable, plus a few other nuts and bolts kinda stuff.

It's easy. Hardest part is finding em sometimes. Fit kits are often on backorder and price on the handles keeps rising. Last I checked they're like $7-800 brand new.

Thanks for the info – I’ve done a little bit of research and I guess I just don’t want to spend that much on this motor. It’s an early 90s vintage and I’m not sure it’s worth putting that kind of money into. Was hoping I could find someone with a motor that had a blown powerhead or some such and could buy some parts or just buy the whole motor for parts and get what I need

Good luck. There's one twist... with a motor that age if it has carbs with round bowls as compared to the square ones, it will have the push style throttle rather than the pull of the modern motors, or vice versa i can't remember. If you wind up going with the new style tiller there's a mod you have to do for it to work.

I think it was Turbo that said he shoulda done a video tutorial for it last time he completed the task.

Last edited by willyworm; 03-29-2023 at 07:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Good luck. There's one twist... with a motor that age if it has carbs with round bowls as compared to the square ones, it will have the push style throttle rather than the pull of the modern motors, or vice versa i can't remember. If you wind up going with the new style tiller there's a mod you have to do for it to work.

I think it was Turbo that said he shoulda done a video tutorial for it last time he completed the task.

Yeah. I should have.

I've walked a bunch of people through it and done a handful myself.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

This motor is at Perry’s marine in the upstate of anyone wants anything off of it.