Thread: Wifi (not cellular) camera systems

Default Wifi (not cellular) camera systems

On 90% of my land, i have no cell service. Where i do have it, it is very spotty and getting pictures to transmit from a cell cam or from a phone generally doesnt work.

Fiber cable will be done today and will be on wifi at the property sometime next week. Clearly, the wifi will only run in and around the house, not throughout the land, but wondered if there was any sort of camera system that has a "hub" of sorts. ie - the central camera or device is connected to the wifi, but the cameras on the property communicate back to the hub to then transmit pics back over the wifi, since cellular is not available??? I've found cameras that transmit via the wifi, but they have to be connected to the wifi from what i've found - and wondered if there was a way to broaden it out a bit.

Any one ever used anything like that? Thought there may be some solution for this sort of thing.

How much land, how spread out, and how much are you looking to spend?

Was there ever any further information on this application? I have a couple of neighbors, along with myself, who might be interested in similar applications on our places.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Cuddelink would work
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I know I've read about off-the-shelf cameras that "bridge" and communicate with distinct channels to other linked cameras. One main camera can be cellular or linked to your home base station wifi and the others have peer to peer wifi connections to each other daisy chained across the property.

Special antennae may also help you link across distances. Wifi is usually broadcast omni directionally with a donut shaped signal but it can be pushed over longer distances with the appropriate directional antennae. There's a pretty famous hack for directional wifi antennae you can find if you google "pringles can antennae". Some guys I worked with built one and it was surprising the number of SSID's you could see and connect to from a high vantage point in the city.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 02-05-2024 at 08:45 AM.