Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery-powered yard tools??

I did read an article claiming the amount of air pollution cause by lawn equipment was excessive for the actual size of the engine hence most motors built in the last 15 year have a non adjustable carburator on them and i am sure other emission devises or other power inhibitors.

If looking at a blower I would suggest Kress. Their new blower will run for an hour I am told on one charge and recharges to full power in 8 minutes.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-21-2023 at 02:23 PM.

Not sure if Ridged makes yard tools but their warranty can't be beat.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Interesting stuff. So, the battery volts are one thing, but the higher the (aH) number is means the battery is supposed to last longer?? Does that mean it also takes longer to charge?
    As yall can probably tell, I know nothing about this stuff.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Just drove by a yard with a hill and an older gentleman weedeating it. He had what I assumed was a ryobi based on the color. That thing was getting it done
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Interesting stuff. So, the battery volts are one thing, but the higher the (aH) number is means the battery is supposed to last longer?? Does that mean it also takes longer to charge?
    As yall can probably tell, I know nothing about this stuff.
    The ones I posted are 60v and recharge in 8 minutes. Average time on the handheld blower is 30ish min run time on a charge.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 03-21-2023 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    I am not allowed to trim bushes, unless it is to take them out.
    I'm in the opposite boat, sorta. I had to buy my wife a cordless hedge trimmer. She had a corded one and cut THREE drop cords. I had to save her.

The one I got is a cheap Black and Decker and it has done well around the house and even cutting stuff on the deer club. I also got the cheap B&D chainsaw that runs on the same battery. If I go electric in the future, it'll be either Ego or Stihl.

My Stihl Kombi system (gas) is still my go-to. I wonder if the gas Kombi stuff works on the electric heads....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Do these things do the job adequately for single yard use? I'm specifically looking at the Ryobi 40v stuff. Trimmer, edger, blower, and hedge trimmer would on the menu. I'll listen to any and all info on these battery tools cause I've always had gas stuff.
    And............GO

Thanks
    For what it’s worth:

I have a ton of ryobi.

From impacts to the blower and weed eater.

It works great.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I'm in the opposite boat, sorta. I had to buy my wife a cordless hedge trimmer. She had a corded one and cut THREE drop cords. I had to save her.

The one I got is a cheap Black and Decker and it has done well around the house and even cutting stuff on the deer club. I also got the cheap B&D chainsaw that runs on the same battery. If I go electric in the future, it'll be either Ego or Stihl.

My Stihl Kombi system (gas) is still my go-to. I wonder if the gas Kombi stuff works on the electric heads....
    Those battery operated hedge trimmers are the ticket for cutting blind brush out west.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 03-21-2023 at 06:36 PM.

No, only gas weed eaters, blowers, edgers, and chainsaws. Stihl for me.

I’m looking at the EGO. Got the gas that I’ll use 99% of the time but when I’m not here it’ll be easier for the better half so she can blow off the cement around the pool, do the porches, or do the garage. She’s always had trouble pulling the cords on the gas equipment. Plus she doesn’t like the backpack blower because of its weight.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    makita
    Second that

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I've never understood the disdain for gas powered yard equipment. I've ran small engines (2 and 4 stroke) for a very long time and I've never had an issue. Keep 100% gas in them and they fire up every time. Even the things I don't use but 2-3 times a year don't give me issue. Now I do have a battery powered blower to do the porches and garage. I wouldn't want to do anything other than blow dirt off with it.
    No disdain at all. I've had pretty good luck with gas devices, but they all seem to get to that point where they get cantankerous. I still have a gas mower.

If I were running machines daily for work I'd have gas and I'd have Stihl, Echo, or similar, but for the average homeowner, the battery powered tools are hard to beat. As long as you keep them charged (think the same thing as having mix gas available), they just work. I know the Ryobi 40v pole saw will run longer on one charge than you will be willing to wield it before taking a break.

Heard lowes is running a special on all their electric and battery operated yard tools this coming weekend. Free box of tampax with the purchase of a qualifying tool…

I’ll stick with Stihl.

Quote Originally Posted by Heybo_Hater View Post
    Heard lowes is running a special on all their electric and battery operated yard tools this coming weekend. Free box of tampax with the purchase of a qualifying tool…

I’ll stick with Stihl.
    Stihl makes great gas-powered stuff (always my first choice) ..not sure how good their battery-powered stuff is.
    At least I'm housebroken.