Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail Vulnerability Predictions for 2023

As long as y'all don't fuck up the middle of October in Charleston County we'll be good.

That's right Silentweapon338. You tell 'em. Thank you.

The genesis of this whole thing was really my son. He, at the time, was only getting 10 vacation days so I wanted to get him in the stand on the most productive days. Like you said, though, nature is random. I don't mind the chatter. I'd be kind of disappointed if it didn't happen. And, maybe somewhere, whether on purpose or not, someone might say something that helps. But, because of nature, and noise and disturbance, and weather, etc. I don't expect to do much more with it. Besides, it's really tuned to hunting in the woods without disturbance or attractants. Not everyone hunts that way. But, I have been thinking about adding a weather module to it...haha
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

local factors are weather, pressure, food, etc.

there's a lot we humans dont understand when it comes to moon phase. remember the days of looking at the major/minor activity in a sporting magazine to paying $0.99 to get the professional version of some app? deer move a good bit around the new moon. during the rut, i think the full moon has an interesting impact too.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Vulnerability? The stupid MFers are vulnerable any time they get near a road....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    local factors are weather, pressure, food, etc.

there's a lot we humans dont understand when it comes to moon phase. remember the days of looking at the major/minor activity in a sporting magazine to paying $0.99 to get the professional version of some app? deer move a good bit around the new moon. during the rut, i think the full moon has an interesting impact too.
    Yep. If I could only hunt one day during a lunar cycle, it'd be the day before the new moon and I'd be in the stand very early that evening. Before I started putting this data together, though, I think the conventional wisdom was that deer hunting near the full moon wasn't worth the effort because "deer are feeding at night". Two of dad's record book deer were killed on a 99% moon and one on a 100% moon. My biggest a 146" 15 point was killed on a 99% moon. Two of his other book deer were on a 0% and a 2% moon. The outlier was on a 72% waning moon. But even that's not much of an outlier since, if you look at the moon graph, there is a pretty good shoulder on the 70-79% waning period. Matter of fact, I've just about talked myself into taking my one lunar hunt day right at the full moon.

It is pretty much spot on. Everything does come into play, for it to work out. But give or take 72 hours either direction of October 15th every year you're in the money. As soon as they start to come out out velvet their hormones are changing. By the end of September they are ready to go, the issue is the doe are not. But due to the lack of day light or shortening rather you will get doe going into estrus on that date(s) this sets the whole thing in motion.

The first wave get bred then, but do to our lopsided buck to doe ratio not all can be bred. 28 days later the doe that are not bred will come back into estrus. This also means there are less doe to breed, and why many hunters think that the "rut" is in November. They aren't wrong because the doe are in estrus, but there are less of them and the buck's are "up on their feet" because they are searching for those doe that aren't bred. This increases the bucks the people havent seen all year appearing.

You still have hormones raging even after that, but you will see the older ones that have made it start to slow down and travel back to their safe spaces and hang out around those areas to recoup and start stockpiling nutrients to replenish what they have expended "chasing" this occurs about the first week or so in December.

In SC especially Pee Dee and low country due to the high numbers you will still have an 3rd "rut" this pairs along with the 28 day thing again. Usually by now it's you're up to 4.5 if they have made it doing the chasing. most of the 5.5 and older crowd will stay locked down to their core area. Thats not to say you will not see them but chances are it will be after dark and before day break and usually on a camera.

Andi n SC we even have some doe that get bred into January, but by then most people have long since given up on deer hunting and are onto the ducks.

What I just described mirrors Rubberheads chart. He has compiled a list that suggests certain target dates that will be the most productive harvest times to be in the woods.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Thank you!

Deer Kill charts.pdf

Hey Rubberhead, here is the bucks I have mounted, with loccation, date and time, and all moon info.

Thought you may want to use them to add to your data compilation. I cant get my pdf to show how you do but it is attached
    Last edited by quack head 11; 03-21-2023 at 08:21 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Thanks quack head 11. That's interesting that those two deer in the 1990's really broke the model but stuff since then has kind of fit. Do you remember if there was anything significantly different with the seasons back then?

TTT - sorry to drag this to the top, but SCDUCKS is the easiest way to get to it when I'm on the road and trying to schedule my work calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Vulnerability? The stupid MFers are vulnerable any time they get near a road....

I would slightly agree with the October 11-16 one for Aiken County. I know a pile of nice bucks that were killed during that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Passed by a nice one, laid out, in the middle of a busy two lane this morning. Was coming back by that spot 10 minutes later and wanted to snap a pic and start a “Got a nice one on camera this morning” thread, but some neck had already snatched him up. Not drag him off to the side, mind you, but had loaded him up and took off with him.

10/8 - 10pt 210#
    10/14- 8pt 185#
    10/21- 8pt 190#
    Barnwell County

A lot of big deer died this am.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    10/21- 8pt 190#
    Barnwell County
    My nephew killed a nice on October 21st too. I might need to re-think how the curves interact especially when the bucks are actively chasing does...Poon' over moon...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    My nephew killed a nice on October 21st too. I might need to re-think how the curves interact especially when the bucks are actively chasing does...Poon' over moon...
    Here's some data for you. Dead on 8/17, 10/6, 10/14, 10/16, 10/21
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

i'll wager that more deer die on fri-sun than mon-thurs
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My cameras have been dead for a week and haven’t had a buck on camera in daylight in a month. Have had 6-7 different bucks come by my camera since midnight. Even had one show up that has potential to take a ride in the hunting Camry by the end of the week.
    IMG_6752.jpeg
    IMG_6753.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    My cameras have been dead for a week and haven’t had a buck on camera in daylight in a month.
    I had 110 pictures of this guy always between 10pm and 2am, never in the daylight...then on the day before the new moon, I caught him out at 5pm in the evening in the wide open...
    Attached Images Attached Images