Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Big is Big Enough for a Boat?

Default How Big is Big Enough for a Boat?

Invariably, when I am conversing with someone wanting to buy a boat for offshore, the question comes up: "How big of a boat do I need to go offshore?" My reply is always, "The ocean can make any boat small, you need to pick your days." It is sound advice, albeit, not that original. A former colleague told me stories of his time in the Navy on an aircraft carrier when they were taking waves over the bow. Seriously over the bow of an aircraft carrier. Anyway, I came across this short video of a rescue swimmer assisting with a disabled vessel in the Columbia River near Astoria Oregon. It verifies two things, the first is what I said in my previous answer, and the second is that pictures never do big seas justice. MG

Last edited by Maggie Glover; 03-30-2023 at 11:40 AM. Reason: to update location
    Dum Spiro Spero

That just made my stomach turn a little!! I’ve been offshore in 20’ swells where we could run wide open and been in 2’ that would make a grown man cry. Know you and your equipments limits and ALWAYS respect the ocean!

Whatever length you buy is usually fine,....until your buddy buys one 2 ft longer. Then it's time to start shopping.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

The only thing the sea won't tolerate is...
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I would love to see a video of an aircraft carrier with waves coming over the bow.

I said see an video!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I would love to see a video of an aircraft carrier with waves coming over the bow.

I said see an video!
    Dum Spiro Spero

This one would tighten your anal area as well

I think if it's too nasty for a 34Freeman, I don't want to be in the ocean.

But I haven't fished a 70-90ft sporty yet...

Capt experience plays a large part in when to go and what to do if you get in a bind.

I ran a 23ft Contender in some shat in the early 2000s...like 50 miles offshore 20 times a yr.....but I have also been on the ocean a ton in my life and we are always prepared with epribs back up communications and all that.

With todays weather apps and technology its alot easier to gauge weather than the old days when you'd say lets just ride out 15 miles and see what its like.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    WOW!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Whatever length you buy is usually fine,....until your buddy buys one 2 ft longer. Then it's time to start shopping.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    I keep looking at 35-37’ boats but doubt I’d go anymore than I do in the 28’. Just have more tied up in it. I don’t like to get beat up when I fish. If it ain’t fun, I’m not going.

No way I’d want to be on anything in those seas. That ocean’s big and can swallow even the largest carrier/ship without a trace.

Got caught in a bad storm at the Greenville a few years back. Wind went from 5 to 60 when it hit. Waves went from 2 to 8+. I kept the bow on watching the speed at 6knt. When it blew out we were 1/2 mile off the Hector, 7 miles in reverse. That’s the only time I’ve had actual waves break across the bow of the Southport. Found out what that boat could handle that day.

Came through Winyah sideways one day in the Pioneer on a NE blow. 5hrs white knuckle from 25 miles out, that was it for the little 22’ Pioneer and offshore. That and the GW that almost made my son a snack.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

A little off topic, but you ought to check out the book Lost In the Stream by Captain Johnny Savage. Its is a great story and testimonial. I read this book in one evening. I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Stream-M.../dp/B0B7GTKYCM
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    I think if it's too nasty for a 34Freeman, I don't want to be in the ocean.

But I haven't fished a 70-90ft sporty yet...
    I'm with you. I've fished in big boats and it ain't fun it rough seas either. More comfortable, but it still ain't fun to be out in.

I think this one is big enough at 65ft. Makes them Freemans look like child's toys.estrella-1.jpg
    Low country redneck who moved north

No, they don't.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Jwterry3 is spot on.
    The 41004 Wx Buoy will give good info to base your decision to run out & it helps to have some knowledge in reading a forecast to run home before it gets too sporty.

Spent close to 40 years on cable ships, tankers & container ships, everything gets humbled by Mother Nature.
    Saw the same oil rig off to port for almost 2 days in the North Sea and we were transiting not on station.

Green water over the bow will eventually find structural weaknesses, buy & operate within capabilities.
    Vessel length, weight & design vs wave height & period can be graphed I'm sure, just need to stay under the "curve".
    We have turned back once outside the rocks on my 34 a few times, even returned 200# of ice once!

You need to consider where your Offshore AO is.
    Some inlets will minimize your number of trips.
    I trailer from NH to LA, Oregon Inlet is my least favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I think this one is big enough at 65ft. Makes them Freemans look like child's toys.estrella-1.jpg
    I saw one of those in Florida in august.

After watching the aircraft carrier.

I don’t think anything is safe.

And I don’t care whom
    The captain is.

Assuming the ocean goes
    Fool.

It is humbling to see something like that.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Should have put a litle more flare on the bow of the carrier.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

7D6B66EB-F1E7-4A7F-97DB-5FD4BBF06E80.jpg

This little 14 foot wasn’t big enough. Two older gentleman sunk it on the river today.

How big? Depends on how deep those pockets are....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.